Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The time gap and the 5E Realms Campaign Book
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  20:42:38  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm curious to know whether you think the new 5E Realms Campaign Book should spend any significant amount of time filling in the 100 year gap?

If no, why not?

If yes, how much of the book (that is, what % of say, a 300 page book) should be set aside to fill in the history? And what level of detail would you want? Grand History of the Realms-type historical rolls with entries, or something less?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  20:55:35  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not want to see the time gap filled. They should move forward with the realms from this point.

Some of that time period has been covered in the Drizzt books albeit very little. At the most, maybe they should include a few pages of Grand History of the Realms style timeline for a few pages. at most the page count should take up 1% of the book. Give enough events for people to go through and play them if they want. 3 pages of timeline in a 300 page book should be the max they spend on it. 2 pages for a 100 page book at most.

I am interested in the post spellplague realms for purposes of the Sundering only.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  21:12:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be good with timeline entries, with expanded info on really important parts (like rebellions or plagues or something that have a present-day effect), and then spending the rest of the pagecount saying "this is what's here now." Future supplements can fill in more details.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  21:13:43  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think only a small portion of the book should be dedicated to the 100 year gap. That said, they should release an accessory to cover the time period (exclusively) at a later time.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  01:05:47  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the time gap is here to stay, some of it should be covered in the 5E book to be sure. The gap should be bridged in some way.

I don't feel it should be exhaustive like the GHotR, which is a great reference, don't get me wrong. Presenting a multi-page timeline wall of text in the first book many (new) fans will read can lead to disengagement. Better to pick a few key points to act as a bridge, would like events to diffuse some of the monolithic RSE shenanigans of the Spellplague and even the Sundering, and set up hooks to hang adventures on. Maybe aim for 3-5 pages for the entire synopsis of major setting events. Just enough to get the gist of the setting.

Leave the finer details to the individual region entries, allow the reader to discover the lore on their own. In fact, the book should be written with "discovery" in mind rather than from the perspective as a "didactic" encyclopedia, which is what I feel some prior Realms sourcebooks were written as. Great for Realms geeks, poor for people getting into the setting.

While the 4E FRCG might have gone to the opposite extreme. There was no timeline and the history was summarized by epoch in paragraph sized entries, altogether about a page or a page and a half. I felt there wasn't enough to capture the imagination of the reader (I was trying to approach it as a new player in my read through). There is nothing to separate the events here from some generic fantasy setting. This is a separate issue from font sizes and white space.

For comparison, the 3e FRCS provides about 5 pages of era-centric text with an additional five pages of timeline. The five pages of timeline entries was a bit too text-wallish to be enticing. I read it only because I was already a fan of the setting. Ask me about the entries and I'll only recall a handful of interest to me. The timeline was denser than most high school history textbooks (to be fair, the history text book breaks down timelines into regions and periods). The paragraph entries were more notable.

I believe the Pathfinder setting book is comparable, don't have my Gazetteer or Inner Sea book handy. Another example is the Midgard CS, it has no timeline in the traditional sense. What could be considered a timeline (only six entries) takes up only a quarter page and is a list of major recent events arranged by how many years ago it occurred from the present date. Those don't go back beyond 82 years ago when the iconic city of the setting established its current system of government. The other history entries are separated into eras, they run about 3-5 paragraphs. They're like mini-essays on the era, even with a slight voicing of someone speaking about it not entirely neutral. The whole things runs about five pages with a few half-page pictures.

The important part is the reader should come away after reading the history fresh with ideas and know about a handful of major historical events that puts the setting into perspective.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 08 Aug 2013 03:09:40
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  02:12:57  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The time gap needs some coverage in the next version of the realms campaign guide, even if
it is just adding tid bits mentioned in novels, magazines, and adventures over the past several years. I agree though that overall we need to move forward with the setting.

Edited by - scererar on 08 Aug 2013 02:13:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  03:04:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'd like a supplemental Grand History-like chapter to be included in the 5e campaign book, I suspect we'll probably see only a "brief history" section instead [kind of like what we've seen in past campaign books {notable examples being both the 3e FRCS and 4e CG}] -- which features just the main highlights from the last 100 or so years.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  04:31:13  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here it is for you the one entry that you may or may not see in the 5e frcs.

the years of darkness: these period in Faerun started with the murder of mystra and in its wake spawned many more horrific monsters unlike any see before and changes of the world's geography with the disappearance of many countries and even whole continents.

The bravest of scribes could not always afford the high cost of adventurers and so many more secrets went untold.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  05:27:12  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ooo here is a good one

The year after the bluefire erupted, we soon relived the error of having magical ink, as the years went on the ink corroded and became symbols of pain and insanity making all stored records lost in time, so ignore it like it never happened damnit, we spent all this money on PR and all the authors so you would stop complaining about not doing it right, Now you want us to waste valuable time writing about the period you complained about. Well guess what, Deneir does not serve the whim of whiny mortals like you.

Sincerely Cadderly The Grumpy as hell Ghost

Edited by - silverwolfer on 08 Aug 2013 05:28:05
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2013 :  05:31:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

ooo here is a good one

The year after the bluefire erupted, we soon relived the error of having magical ink, as the years went on the ink corroded and became symbols of pain and insanity making all stored records lost in time, so ignore it like it never happened damnit, we spent all this money on PR and all the authors so you would stop complaining about not doing it right, Now you want us to waste valuable time writing about the period you complained about. Well guess what, Deneir does not serve the whim of whiny mortals like you.

Sincerely Cadderly The Grumpy as hell Ghost

+ over 9000

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  10:35:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the 100 year gap needs to be filled in.

Dark Wizard makes a good point about how walls of text can turn off readers and even with all WotC is putting into the Realms I’m pretty sure page count is going to be at a premium for whatever form the 5E Realms Campaign Book takes, so multiple pages (even in a 300 page book) are probably out.

My guess is that WotC will do something similar to what they did in the (still free to download and Brian R. James-penned) Backdrop: Cormyr article, by providing a Timeline of Recent Events sidebar that lists noteworthy events over the last century.

Hopefully this fills in the gap for a lot of places and is updated to include novel events through to the Sundering.

The years from 1479 to 1489 should include as many entries as all previous entries for the prior 100 years, and the current year/campaign world start date should then move to a month-by-month series of rumors and not so reliable entries (i.e. Current Clack).

This way DMs can go right from factoid-type history information to instantly useable/customizable adventure hooks, which I think is in line with what Wooly talked about earlier in the scroll.

I really like The Arcanamach’s idea of the Time Gap having its own sourcebook, especially if we learn that Halruaa was shunted to Abeir, in which case a Time Gap product might offer a window into that world.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 11 Aug 2013 10:38:41
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  12:51:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like a chapter on recent history - at the very least, some sort of vague, 2-3 page timeline. It doesn't have to be overly long, just really interesting and leaving us wanting more.

Like a synopsis, but not as dry (since we are trying to re-capture that 'old Realms feel').

If that would take up too much room, or if enough people don't care to see it, then it should still be done, and left as a web-enhancement for everyone to download. Come to think of it, that actually might be the best way to go (it will generate buzz amongst folks who don't want to take the plunge on the new CG, and perhaps even change their minds about making that purchase).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  14:24:53  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Any time spent on fleshing out the 4E Era is wasted time, IMO.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  15:49:21  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

quote:

I'm also of this thought.

If they haven't done it by now, by putting out modules/adventures/articles to address this, to add flavor to a greatly changed area, why do it now?

These 100 years are like our own Dark Ages; no advancement, fighting for survival, little contact with peoples outside your own country borders(or town or village). It's a time of great loss and suffering, and simple toiling just to stay alive.

If anything, this time should become more akin to myth and legend. "Well, it's said that during these dark times, a foul wizard stole off with a powerful lost elven artifact and headed for that abandoned tower. What became of him, we don't know..."

There ya go! Reference to time past, filling in some history, but history that will be explored by new adventurers who will solve the current problem by solving the mystery of the past.

Make the Sundered Age about going forward, but exploring (only) what got them there. If that takes up more than 20% of new material coming out, I'd just be annoyed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  17:08:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said earlier, I think we should get some info, just not a lot. For a lot of folks, the timejump was the deal-breaker with the 4E Realms. I am, oddly, in the minority on that one.

That said, addressing -- even in timeline format -- the "lost time" would I think go a long way towards making the timejump more palatable.

All you need is a few timeline entries, with one or two expanded bits. For Cormyr, for example, mention when someone took the throne, or the still-unsolved murders of some nobles 20 years ago -- but then, give a paragraph or two to Arabel's attempted secession in 1422, and how things are still a little tense from the aftermath of this. (Note that I just made all that up as an example.)

Part of the strength of the Realms has always been its history. I think we need more history to best unify the 5E Realms with what has come before.

Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  20:18:40  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although it should not be part of the 5th Edition Campaign or Player books, the time jump could be covered neatly in an optional supplement, a combination adventure module and historical document. Softcover format, like 3rd Editions's Monsters of Faerun.

Obviously, a Grand History-style timeline would be in one chapter, with anywhere from 25 to 100-odd entries...at most, 10 to 12 pages of, say, 100 pages of text and artwork.

Part of this is a time-hopping adventure. Characters from 1385 DR (or earlier) can adventure with characters alive on the eve of the Sundering (or later), an adventure to chase down a decade-hopping madman (or madwoman), affording the characters the opportunity to see the Years of Blue Fire for themselves - say, a devoted servant of Cyric whom the players ultimately have the extreme pleasure of grinding into past with steel and fireballs before he can hand his master an unpleasant boost in power (and, in fact, they may contribute to him becoming a much more minor figure than he is or otherwise would be).

Also, perhaps give them a chance to have an effect on a (very) limited area as the years go by, an area no bigger than the size of, say, Neverwinter Wood (but not Neverwinter Wood itself). At the adventure's conclusion, the characters from the past can prepare their families and secure their legacies against the coming difficult times (assuming they return), while the characters from the Sundering era can gain a new appreciation for all the grief they've (otherwise) been spared.

This has us able to look at some of the events that happened in the Blue Fire years without being stuck in them, lets us see some of the magic of the time (statted, of course, in case a wizard manages to snag a copy), and maybe...just maybe...allows the characters to bring forward in time an iconic soul, such as Laeral Silverhand or (SHOCK!) Qilue Veladorn.

This lets people who have zero interest in these years have the option of blowing the supplement off entirely (I would get it for the sake of completeness, if nothing else), while those with an interest in having the gaps filled in can do so. In either case, Sundering products neither gain nor lose any value because of it. It would be entirely optional.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2013 :  20:45:43  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They want to stick with the 4e time happening so they better give us a rundown on the missing years, preferably a web content for free where they set stages for the things happening in 4e to be "cured" in content to come.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  01:06:27  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they hope to win back a lot of the old Grognards, I think a really well fleshed out CS guide is essential. Anyone with a pre-spellplague persistant campaign is totally out of the loop regarding events in 1470+DR. Simply put there's a century long dearth of realmslore that will remain impassable without epic levels of fan-canon or DM fiat. We, at the very least, need some solid stepping stones to get across and even then, I think many will not see enough of a reason to bother.

For a lot of people, the time jump more than the Spellplague put a .50AE round straight through FR's head.

BTW am I the only one who finds it ironic how much FR Next is relying on Bioware nostalgia given how much credibility the latter has lost recently? :D

Edited by - BlackAce on 12 Aug 2013 01:48:11
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  02:25:40  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, the creative teams for the other half of the BG/IWD/PS:T games (comprising Black Isle) reside partly at Obsidian, partly at inXile, partly scattered elsewhere including Bioware (but still mostly at the former two). They're working on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2 & Torment: Tides of Numenera, respectively. These in-progress games are the true spiritual successors of the old school Infinity Engine games (and in the case of Wasteland 2 is the actual sequel to Wasteland 1). Bioware's recent offerings while related are a more distant branch of the tree.

The Baldur's Gate games were the definitive Forgotten Realms computer RPGs that set the standard for more than a generation of gamers (both TTRPG and CRPG). The SSI games came a bit too early for (modern) mass exposure (though by no means a trivial audience and following, and were the formative experience for many gamers), while Neverwinter Nights was acclaimed and long lasting didn't quite exceed the critical reception of the Infinity Engine games. Later offerings were unsteady/mediocre (Pool of Radiance, D&DO, Shards, etc.) or downright poorly rated (Daggerdale, D&D Tactics). Disclaimer: Going by ratings and reception by memory (no slight meant to those games, developers, or fans).

Nostalgia is part of it, but a major reason (imo) is aside from Drizzt and Elminster, "Baldur's Gate" is probably the next most well known aspect of Forgotten Realms in the mainstream (or even the D&D-stream for that matter), probably even more so than Waterdeep (and at least as well known as Neverwinter, but I'd say a slip more).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  03:54:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That would be a mistake, I think. Better to focus on elaborating some of the "washed over" historical events that led to the Spellplague and beyond. This would be a perfect opportunity for designers to find some more permanent basis for the newly introduced elements of 4e into the Realmslore firmament.

Work with it. Make it fit when and where possible, rather than ignore or cast it aside altogether.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  04:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the opposite should be done, Sage. Cast it all aside and have 5e pick up where 3e left off. Have it do what 4e should have done: advance things slowly, with the established setting.

If they don't do that, I can't say I'm very interested.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  04:17:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Work with it. Make it fit when and where possible, rather than ignore or cast it aside altogether.
Precisely. Don't make this the focus, of course, just make the Time Gap (as a back story) better fit the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  04:21:48  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That would be a mistake, I think. Better to focus on elaborating some of the "washed over" historical events that led to the Spellplague and beyond. This would be a perfect opportunity for designers to find some more permanent basis for the newly introduced elements of 4e into the Realmslore firmament.

The mistake would be spending even one second longer on material that caused the 4th edition to fail.

The thing about compromise? It doesn't work one way. 4E is done. I may have to suck it up and tolerate that 4E existed - and that we have to move on from that point. That is the (forced) compromise that I must accept at this point.

But I absolutely will NOT stand for any further development time being devoted to 4E in any way. That's going too far and asking too much. The 4E fans have to compromise also.

If they do spend time on 4E once 5E starts, I'm out.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 12 Aug 2013 04:25:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  05:09:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I think the opposite should be done, Sage. Cast it all aside and have 5e pick up where 3e left off. Have it do what 4e should have done: advance things slowly, with the established setting.
I'm not sure I can agree.

As I see it, that really wouldn't do anything more than antagonise all the fans who came into the Realms as a result of 4e. Whether they liked the changes or not, there are a lot of new Realms fans who will one day look back on 4e as "their" Realms, just as many of the 1e/2e/3e fans do now.

Why should we be encouraging this "casting aside" policy for a new generation of Realms fans, when so many past fans didn't like having it done to them?

I'm sorry, but I just can't understand the mindset behind something like this. It's perpetuating the problem, rather than dealing with the reality that 4e is here to stay.

I think it would be far easier, and more creative, to work with it, try and shape it, and then attempt to create something even the old fans can still like.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  05:17:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The mistake would be spending even one second longer on material that caused the 4th edition to fail.
I'm curious about this statement.

If 4e caused the Realms to fail, then why were additional supplements and web-content via the DDI still continually being published to support what was originally presented in the 4e FRCG?
quote:
The thing about compromise? It doesn't work one way. 4E is done. I may have to suck it up and tolerate that 4E existed - and that we have to move on from that point. That is the (forced) compromise that I must accept at this point.
If that's the view you wish to take, then I won't argue. It's your choice.

I'm simply making the point that I would prefer 4e to receive a dedicative effort of attention that seeks to work with every edition of Realmslore, rather than exclude some while keeping the rest. That just smacks of the same kind of problem that generated this anti-4e attitude in the first place. It simply isn't fair for the folk who came into the Realms with 4e.
quote:
But I absolutely will NOT stand for any further development time being devoted to 4E in any way. That's going too far and asking too much. The 4E fans have to compromise also.
Well, it sounds like the post-Sundering Realms setting will be a rebirth of both the old and the new. So I'm thinking this means that the development of just 4e-only styled content is done.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  05:42:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, it sounds like the post-Sundering Realms setting will be a rebirth of both the old and the new. So I'm thinking this means that the development of just 4e-only styled content is done.

Not only that, but we know some of what was done in 4E is being undone. That sounds like a compromise, to me.

My opposition to the changes of the 4E Realms is well-known. I've taken a hell of a lot of fire for that, too -- just look at some of the recent drivel posts by no one's friend, the Learned Scribe.

Now for me, in an ideal world, they'd reset the Realms to the end of the 2E era and start over from there. Keep some of the later stuff, change some of it, and just plain do it differently.

But that's not going to happen. I am not going to get everything I want.

Neither is anyone else.

WotC is trying to make the most of it. A lot of the things we complained about with 4E are going to be undone, and they're going to keep going from there. They're trying to listen to us this time. They've got Ed involved from the start -- and he himself told me, without being prompted, that he's excited about what's coming.

I think we need to keep our expectations realistic. And I think we should give the 5E Realms a shot before making any decisions for or against it.

Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  05:48:20  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in 100% agreement with Sage. I don't want to 4th ed fans get screwed over the way many 2/3 ed fans feel they were. It's totally unfair to perpetuate the pain. I can understand the desire to get back to the 'old realms' but to paraphrase McCoy: 'They're dead, Jim.'

I'd rather see a 5th edition Realms that picked up the baton from 4th and ditched the POL stuff and hearkened back to the old gray boxed set. As much as I'd want the spellplague to have never happened it has. Time to accept it and move on to (hopefully) something new but more familiar.

Edited by - BlackAce on 12 Aug 2013 05:49:56
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  05:53:15  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind a little coverage of the 100 years, but I am much more concerned about the post sundering realms. I certainly wouldn't want to waste an entire supplement on it. The developers are already going to have their hands full providing enough material to bring the new realms to life. From the preview map, it doesn't look like many of the 4e changes survive anyway.

quote:

I feel like if the 4e designers/free lancers couldn't get the job done in the first 5 years. Than they aren't on the verge of any breakthroughs. The 4e elements were specific designed to not fit in the setting. For a lot of scribes, there is no amount of rewrites and recons(aside from wholesale removal) that is going to fix that. I think those resources would be better spent working on the post sundering realms, or if Wotc wants to do some 4e fan service a series of Abeir articles.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  06:14:46  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If 4e caused the Realms to fail, then why were additional supplements and web-content via the DDI still continually being published to support what was originally presented in the 4e FRCG?

Presumably because they were trying to give the 4E Realms a "fair shake" with supplementary material. Ultimately it still failed, though, otherwise they would not be doing the Sundering.

quote:
I'm simply making the point that I would prefer 4e to receive a dedicative effort of attention that seeks to work with every edition of Realmslore, rather than exclude some while keeping the rest.

Sorry, but 4E Realms -as a concept and thematic direction- had several years worth of attention. That time is over.

quote:
That just smacks of the same kind of problem that generated this anti-4e attitude in the first place. It simply isn't fair for the folk who came into the Realms with 4e.

Fair? Look, the division in Realms fans is still pretty wide and there's still a fair amount of resentment over 4E Realms. If you're going to ask the older fans to compromise, it's only fair to ask the newer fans to compromise as well.

Otherwise it's just an continuation of 4E, meant to serve 4E fans. And frankly, that went over like a lead balloon.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  08:12:31  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some part of me is just glad taht FR is still the main setting, they garner money from, so we get the attention when we hoot and hollar.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2013 :  12:12:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flesh the 100 years out!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll