Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Help design the GenCon 2014 Candlekeep Seminar!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  19:43:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Realms cosplay? I shudder in horror of the legions of Drizzt clones.

I'm more concerned about the Simbul costume that Sage was talking about wearing...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  20:23:46  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

People cosplay drizzt anyway, heh. Some of them quite well, I have to add.

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

- Mystra (Ed Greenwood, Silverfall)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  20:46:17  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don´t get me wrong, i have nothing against cosplayer
I just find it silly when you have a congregation of several drizzt and all claim to be him. I mean where is the innovation and do someone else? He is overhyped imo.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  20:51:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don´t get me wrong, i have nothing against cosplayer
I just find it silly when you have a congregation of several drizzt and all claim to be him. I mean where is the innovation and do someone else? He is overhyped imo.

I feel the same way with all the Jack Sparrows, slave Leias, and Batmans.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 03 Sep 2013 21:07:31
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  21:31:54  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There can never be enough slave Leias.... granted the optic is pleasing to the eyes

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  21:37:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the proper terminology for a group of slave Leias? A Force? A barge? A dream?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Sep 2013 21:38:44
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2013 :  21:47:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What is the proper terminology for a group of slave Leias? A Force? A barge? A dream?

Well maybe a nightmare, other option might be a sorority. *G*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  03:26:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'm more concerned about the Simbul costume that Sage was talking about wearing...

Try as I might... I just can't convince the Lady K to work at this in my stead.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  08:09:44  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you can appear as Elminster in a duo? I am onto you sir!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  15:45:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm... a duo you say?

Now who can I get to be my 'Asper'?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  16:17:24  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, the recent cosplay discussion gives me the opportunity to mention something that's been on my mind since I first conceived the Candlekeep seminar. I may seem a party-pooper, but here goes:

The Candlekeep Presents gatherings are for everyone who enjoys the Realms. It doesn't matter if they're coming to us from the fiction side or the tabletop gaming side or the computer games side. I don't care if they've loved the Realms since the first DRAGON articles or just played a module and want to learn more about the setting. I don't care whether their only experience is the Pool of Radiance NES game, and they know nothing but Banite-infested Phlan. I don't care whether someone is a cosplayer, a gamer, a reader, or just enjoyed the comic books. None of that matters.

The Candlekeep Presents seminar is not the place for anyone to tell anyone else that they are experiencing the Forgotten Realms "wrong."

I fully intend for this gathering, whatever form it continues to take, to be a safe place for everyone to express their joy in experiencing the Realms.

I don't care if there's a Drizzt cosplayer. I don't care if there are 50 Drizzt cosplayers. Because that's 50 people who are enjoying the Realms and coming together with other people enjoying the Realms. If Drizzt is their favorite character, they can all come as Drizzt and discuss what ideas they had to dye their cats black and put glowing green contacts in to create mini-Guens. [Disclaimer: Don't do that to your cat, please. Seriously.]

What I do care about is that everyone is kind and respectful to everyone else: fans, panelists, and the setting.

What that means is that it is all of our responsibility to be welcoming to all comers, even if you're unhappy about their favorite character or book, or think they're wrong for liking the changes brought about by the Spellplague, or think their favorite author is a hack, or don't like how they look in their costuming.

The Realms is, for many or most of us, the brightest gem among our hobbies. Candlekeep Presents is the largest and best opportunity for all of those folks to share that enjoyment in a shared environment. I want to keep it as comfortable as possible for all involved, and rejecting anyone else’s means of enjoying the Realms runs directly counter to that.

If anyone takes issue with my perspective here, please don’t clog the thread. Feel free to contact me via private message to discuss things further.
Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  16:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The Candlekeep Presents seminar is not the place for anyone to tell anyone else that they are experiencing the Forgotten Realms "wrong."

I fully intend for this gathering, whatever form it continues to take, to be a safe place for everyone to express their joy in experiencing the Realms.

What I do care about is that everyone is kind and respectful to everyone else: fans, panelists, and the setting.

What that means is that it is all of our responsibility to be welcoming to all comers, even if you're unhappy about their favorite character or book, or think they're wrong for liking the changes brought about by the Spellplague, or think their favorite author is a hack, or don't like how they look in their costuming.

The Realms is, for many or most of us, the brightest gem among our hobbies. Candlekeep Presents is the largest and best opportunity for all of those folks to share that enjoyment in a shared environment. I want to keep it as comfortable as possible for all involved, and rejecting anyone else’s means of enjoying the Realms runs directly counter to that.

Amen.

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

- Mystra (Ed Greenwood, Silverfall)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  16:41:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wholeheartedly agree with Brian's proposal for the next Candlekeep Seminar.

One query, though, which isn't directly related to what you were just saying...
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

I don't care whether their only experience is the Pool of Radiance NES game, and they know nothing but Banite-infested Phlan.
Did you actually mean the SSI Pool of Radiance game for DOS/PC? I only ask, because I wasn't aware that a NES Realms game existed.

If that's the case, then I need to hunt down a copy.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  16:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Did you actually mean the SSI Pool of Radiance game for DOS/PC? I only ask, because I wasn't aware that a NES Realms game existed.

If that's the case, then I need to hunt down a copy.
Get hunting, sir. I indeed meant the one for the Nintendo. It had a blue label/box (rather than the gold box for the PC version), and was published by FCI rather than SSI, but it's basically just a port o the computer game.

Check eBay. There's usually at least 3-4 copies available.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000