Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Western Heartlands Map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  18:38:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Map WIP

This is the latest version of my FR map. All the terrain should sync-up with the 1e/2e campaign maps, except where local maps conflicted with them, OR where 'new info' was given on 3e maps (many rivers and roads were added, and I tried to work all of that into the terrain itself). The map should be accurate as of 1372 DR.

That is the 'naked' version. Please let me know if you spot any oddities with the terrain. I've already begun placing settlements and roads for the 'Player's map' version, so hopefully that one will be ready in a few days.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Nov 2012 22:14:38

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  18:56:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simply

Can't wait for the next one!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  19:22:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Wait until you see how all the settlements and roads are working out. That is why I had to wait until most of those were laid-in before presenting a naked map - I had to tweak the terrain as I went to conform to those items.

Looking at that, I just realized I hadn't done the brown coastal outline on some of the islands.

EDIT: Fixed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Nov 2012 20:35:42
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  21:56:04  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great job, thanks very much!
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  23:39:45  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
awesome as usual...

are you going to do an updated Amn/Tethyr/Calimshan area one?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  05:13:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Eastern Heartlands are next. The Lands of Intrigue will be the 3rd one, with the Old Empires 4th.

When those are all complete, the plan is to do two more sections in the east (Hordelands), and then eventually three sections across the bottom, for a total of nine map sections. The edges of both Kara-Tur and Zakhara will be shown.

I have it all already laid-out. I just have to tweak/correct each section now as I go along. Rather then waiting until the whole continent was done like the last time (I learned my lesson), this method will allow me to be able release maps as I go along. Hopefully with the Heartlands done in the first two, most folks will be inspired to start new FR campaigns in the coming year.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Nov 2012 15:49:33
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  08:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to reiterate that I really appreciate the work you put into your maps, Markustay. Even though my FR game is on death-hiatus, they're one of the reasons why I'm ever-eager to resume it.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  16:05:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The Eastern Heartlands are next. The Lands of Intrigue will be the 3rd one, with the Old Empires 4th.

When those are all complete, the plan is to do two more sections in the east (Hordelands), and then eventually three sections across the bottom, for a total of nine map sections. The edges of both Kara-Tur and Zakhara will be shown.

I have it all already laid-out. I just have to tweak/correct each section now as I go along. Rather then waiting until the whole continent was done like the last time (I learned my lesson), this method will allow me to be able release maps as I go along. Hopefully with the Heartlands done in the first two, most folks will be inspired to start new FR campaigns in the coming year.

I'm starting one...when I get the time.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  11:46:35  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus where does that mean the Great Dale and Thesk will fall and your great scheme of things?
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  12:29:14  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for this Markus; kudos to you for all your hard work. This is going to be incredibly useful to me. I look forward eagerly to future maps
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  16:27:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys -glad you are showing your appreciation. I sometimes feel that if nobody's using them, whats the point?
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBestwick

Markus where does that mean the Great Dale and Thesk will fall and your great scheme of things?

Next. But I still have to complete two versions of this current map first (a player's map, and a DM's). I may eventually do a layered pdf utilizing all the layers I have, but that will be after I get a new copy of Adobe Acrobat, which could be never (because Insurance companies suck!)

It is part of the Eastern Heartlands, which starts at the Tunlands (obviously there will be some overlap) and end with the Thayan Mountains. The North/South borders will be on the same latitude as this western map. Since I am going back to the 1e/2e layout, that means most of Sossal will be shown on that one, along with the Great Glacier.

As I said, nearly all the terrain is already laid-out on the rest of the map - I just have to tweak the hell out of each area as I go along.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Nov 2012 16:27:50
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  19:56:05  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, my Great Dale campaign has restarted, with the characters pursuing the Nar raiders into Rawlinswood and there having to fight a blighted treant. We only get to play every few months, but we play for the whole weekend so any chance you will have a draft version of that map out by February?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  20:12:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try my best. I am hoping to have all versions of the Western Heartlands done by Christmas (as a holiday gift to my fellow ne... err... gamers).

Which means, if I stay on schedule, the West will be started January 1st, unless the world has ended, in which case it might take slightly longer.

Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  10:58:55  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have photoshop and acrobat. If you want some assistance making those layered PDFs I can give it a go.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  12:32:28  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I nominate Markustay as a newly risen god of the Realms.

Portfolio: Overworked (that is to say, ahem, obsessed ) Cartographers!

Seriously though, you're work is great!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  22:04:02  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work. I particularly like your fixing of the 3e Fail that occurred just north of Waterdeep. Your blending of the 2e and 3e High Moor is pretty cool too. Southern Anauroch looks different than either the 2e or 3e maps... but I'm assuming that's from some local map that I haven't seen. Very cool overall.
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  03:27:18  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the necro-post, but I didn't feel this needed a new thread.

Mark, is there any chance of getting a copy like your Eastern Heartlands map that has settlements and roads but no labels? I saw the copy where you've started labeling, and was a little disappointed you didn't leave a before copy. You've done an amazing job, and I can't wait to see it all put together.

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  03:50:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll post one tomorrow if you like - its easy enough (I just turn off a few layers is all).

Was away for a few days, and came home and the internet wasn't working for 24 hours - just got back on, but now I'm too tired to do anything.

Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  13:00:00  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No rush. Enjoy your holiday, if it is one where you are. :)

"What mattered our lives now, when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring." -A review of the FRCG ;)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  15:41:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really a Holiday... unless you count my 50th birthday. I am officially old now. You kids get off my lawn!

quote:
Originally posted by Mystic Lemur

Mark, is there any chance of getting a copy like your Eastern Heartlands map that has settlements and roads but no labels? I saw the copy where you've started labeling, and was a little disappointed you didn't leave a before copy.
What, precisely, do you want?

You also want all the 'DM sites' (dungeons) marked without labels, or leave those entirely off?

Do you still want terrain features labeled (forests, rivers, etc)?

Out of curiosity, why have the settlements (and roads) at all, if you don't want them labeled?

I just realized I never added a map scale (which I noticed when I tried to place another settlement I found, and the only descriptor I had was "300 miles north of Baldur's Gate"), so I added one. I really should do a new map key as well - I've added and changed a few (for instance, the 'bat' symbol identifies a cave complex).

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Sep 2013 15:52:44
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2013 :  20:30:36  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm using the maps in a campaign management program that allows me to place map pins and link them to content I input. I find that the maps that work best for that are the ones that aren't cluttered with names of places or buildings (in the case of city maps). I'm afraid I'm not skilled enough with image software to just edit out what I don't need. You talk about layers, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

So, to answer your question, all I really need are dots or symbols for the cities and dungeons, lines for the roads, etc. I don't need anything labeled. Just like your Eastern Heartlands WIP map found HERE.

Speaking of that map, you may have already fixed this but it looks like you left out Maerstar in the Vast. According to the map of the Vast in City of Ravens Bluff, it should be on the North Road between Procampur and Sevencho.

Happy Birthday, and thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  14:59:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Posted Semi-blank version of my 'The North' map. This is not part of the 'Misbegotten Realms' series - this is all canon.

I tweaked a couple of things (which is why it took me so long to post), and removed the text from Mount Asshat (or whatever that name was) in the desert. It is missing a few settlements down in the lower right corner - the Shining Plains and Erlkazar region - but that is because I haven't finished with the terrain down there yet (thats just a rough-in for now). A couple of the roads coming out of Cormyr might not line-up precisely with the ones from the Eastern Map, because I did that one after this, and tweaked those on that end.

Eventually I have to add both maps to the master map to line everything up again. Glad you requested this - it has made me realize I really should just go ahead and finish these regardless of what 5e has in store.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Sep 2013 14:59:45
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  16:17:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, please, do finish your maps. I only use Markustay maps for my campaigns as they are the most complete and of such good quality why would anyone use an alternative.

If i were rich i would give you all my money to finish them, but unfortunately im not so instead i will just give my encouragement and praise

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Mystic Lemur
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  17:40:47  Show Profile Send Mystic Lemur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Posted Semi-blank version of my 'The North' map. This is not part of the 'Misbegotten Realms' series - this is all canon.

A thousand thanks for your amazing work.

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Please, please, do finish your maps. I only use Markustay maps for my campaigns as they are the most complete and of such good quality why would anyone use an alternative.

If i were rich i would give you all my money to finish them, but unfortunately im not so instead i will just give my encouragement and praise

This, 100%. If I ever come into some money, you'll be the first (well, probably more like sixth) to know. ;)

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2013 :  18:33:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL...

I can't accept money for them - that would be illegal.

Besides, doing it for money takes all the fun out of it. Once a hobby becomes a business, you start to lose sight of the reasons you loved it in the first place.

quote:
Originally posted by Mystic Lemur

A thousand thanks for your amazing work.
No problem - glad to help.

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I'm foaming at the mouth over here!
Right now I am working on Dathia (in my Misbegotten Realms) - the island that was once the Jaamdath empire, until the ebil elveses cast their 'High magic Ritual' and brought down the Kinslayer Star. That was over a thousand years ago, and now the shattered sub-continent is slowly crawling back to civilization. It is made up of the Border kingdoms, the Nelanther Isles, the Sword lands & nearly all other new 4e realms (Returned Abeir), The River Kingdoms (PF), Razmiran (PF), Erlkazar & Sespech (mashed-up with Andoran), and the Lhazaar Principalities (Eberron). Oh, and Kyonin (also PF)... they just moved back in around a century ago... still pissed-off at their Elven kin.

A lot happened a century ago, what with both Mystra and Andoren disappearing...

But I am most proud of my Karameikos-Impiltur blend; it is a shining example of 'greater then the sum of its parts'. Its where Turmish used to be, and is now a major player in my setting.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Sep 2013 18:39:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000