Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Anylore I should know from stone of Tymora?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  06:46:32  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I honestly, could not make it through the first book , did anyone get through the trio of books, of any lore that mattered on a wider scale of setting changing.

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  16:58:11  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, I can't think of anything ground-breaking from that series. It was just an episodic series of melodramatic scenes strung together.

There was some stuff sprinled throughout, but especially in the last book, about followers of the goddess Tymora, Lady of Luck. That might help flesh out her mindset a bit better--I don't know. I don't really care for the religious stuff.

The main thing to take from it is that little Maimun had a whacked childhood which confused the Hells out of him, so it becomes perfectly understandable that he would go on to grow up into a morally neutral pirate in The Pirate King.

I also liked the fact that the Salvatores did a good job of presenting the confusing world in the eyes of a kid, in that it wasn't always easy to tell who the good guys were, even if you were outright told who the good guys were. Everybody seemed to be acting in mysterious, self-serving, fickle, inconsistent ways (to the mind of a child, at least). Even Drizzt is kinda cryptic and shady, here. The world can easily seem that way, and the father-and-son duo pulled that feeling off quite well.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000