Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 This Can Go in 5E: Number 423,592,8573
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  02:03:39  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Feydark, Feywild thing can go away. I don't mind a seelie and unseelie bit, but it seem to be the big thing for 4e books, and am kind of sick of it as far as everything published storywise has something to do with it.

Scars Unseen
Acolyte

Japan
16 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  02:46:30  Show Profile Send Scars Unseen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My suspicion is that this is going to turn into one of those "place with many names" things. To someone with the 2E cosmology perspective, perhaps the Feywild is part of Arborea, or possibly even in Arvandor(which is its own plane in the World Tree cosmology). Basically it will most likely end up being explained as limitations of mortal knowledge making allowances for multiple perspectives and explanations.

That's the way I'd handle it anyway.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  02:52:24  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What scars said.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  04:40:42  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Feywild is pretty awesome. I like how it's beautiful and enchanting, but still deadly in its own way. I also like the option of pacts with Archfey for warlocks. Maybe it doesn't deserve a ton of focus, but I particularly like that WOTC took such lengths to make the eladrin unique. Faerun elves act too much like humans sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  06:49:38  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hate the name "Feywild." It's so pretentiously 90's. I would've expected a name like that from Rob Liefeld or someone else at Image Comics, right alongside all the other goofy names they came up with. The concept's alright, but I really wish they had another name for it.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  11:26:35  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faerie's the name I prefer
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  12:58:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto what Venger and Quale said.

I also hate the name Shadowfell.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  13:06:28  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet i would advocate for those spheres to remain as they do offer additional places to explore. All that needs to be done is make them less dominant in appearance and have them take a backseat from the realms.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  13:31:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For my own HB lore, I've somewhat renamed them to the Shadowfel (which is why I ALWAYS type it that way), and the Fæwyld.

Otherwise, I have no problem with them - the 4e cosmology is actually closer to my own then any other. I greatly reduced the 'Great Wheel' quite some time ago, and although I certainly don't agree with all the changes they made (they took it too far), I am on-board with most of them.

I believe that different cultures refer to these planes by different names, and thats why I think its just fine the way it is, since perception becomes your personal reality when traveling through the spheres (metaphorically... damn you SJ for ruining a poetic turn-of-phrase!)

If they bring back the nine alignments (which they should), then we should have the same number of planes around the wheel. Anything more is unnecessary redundancy, and anything less is takes away from one of D&D's earliest premises.

They also need to revamp FR's afterlife in a major way - I don't think anyone was truly happy with all that weirdness.* We need to get rid of that gawd-awful "Wall of the Faithless"; it makes no sense in the context of a magical, highly polytheistic multiverse.

*I had much more here - describing my own 'perfect system' - but its not really the thread for that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  14:43:55  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
*I had much more here - describing my own 'perfect system' - but its not really the thread for that.

NOOOOOO!!! I'm busy ripping off your lore! Give me more!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  15:37:22  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, the Feywild can go back to being "Faerie" and all that it used to be. Feywild was too constricting, too defining of something that should be a lot more mysterious and distant.

Same with Shadowfel, it can go back to what it was: a mysterious mixture/overlap of part of the demi-plane of shadow, fringes of the negative energy plane, and so on. It was better as it was previously, not being such a defined and easy-to-reach kind of place.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  15:58:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering whether it really matters what these planar locales are called.

I mean, if the 2e PLANESCAPE lore taught us nothing else, it's that a singular plane can be known by many very different names -- each of which tends to reflect the personal perspective of the race that gives the plane it's name.

While I do prefer Faerie, I still allow many of the multitude of names for various outer planes in my Realms. Not every race, nor every individual for that matter, will look to the Feywild and say... "This is the Feywild." Some may see it as it was in prior editions. Or how it will be in future editions -- depending upon the temporal setting of the campaign you're running.

Same with the Shadowfell. Separating back to the Shadow Plane and Negative Energy Plane is just as applicable. It just depends on how you [as the PC] interpret the planar framework in the campaign.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2013 :  14:35:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with sage... they're talking about putting some mystery around which gods are which. They should do the same with the feywild / faerie / arvandor, etc.... Maybe its a plane that's constantly in flux... maybe its several planes that "whirl" around one another... maybe something new beyond the concept of inner and outer planes. There's enough magic tied to this realm that having it change is most likely acceptable.

On the shadowfell, similar things should be noted. Is it the shadowfell, the plane of shadows, the void, the swallowing darkness, the dark mirror of the world.

Unfortunately, I say this, but I say this from a player perspective.... from a DM's perspective, they need to get down to nuts and bolts so that people don't develop things that obviously don't function for whatever reason.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000