Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 God... I love the Derro
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  07:06:05  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So am reading venom in her veins (really wizard needs to tap this author and make it the new R.A.S)

Big glowing ball,the main characters watch it, the ball opens, an eye tyrant comes out. It shoots a few beams turning various derro into stone or dust, they move uncaring throw a huge tarp up and, give it the good ole heave ho.

Drag the creature down, and then wrap it in old clothing, and beat it with sticks until it stops moving. Then they state later, that they will cut it up for home decorations.

Derro are the best sort of insane.

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  11:24:31  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
derro fetal savants are the craziest
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  12:59:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't a fan of the derro until Paizo respun them. I like their version of derro.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  14:16:53  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. I never cared much for Derro either. That is until I read this book, now I cant wait to read more about the crazy little blighters.

Edited by - Thauranil on 13 Aug 2013 14:17:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  15:57:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I wasn't a fan of the derro until Paizo respun them. I like their version of derro.

Wholly agreed.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  16:05:19  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always found the derro an interesting race although they were rarely used. I have to say though, I find the scene you describe a bit unrealistic. How many derro jumped it?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  20:29:01  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I always found the derro an interesting race although they were rarely used. I have to say though, I find the scene you describe a bit unrealistic. How many derro jumped it?

It makes sense within the context of the novel. I only bought "Venom in Her Veins" to read about the underused Yuan-Ti, who I LOVE. Having read about the Derro for the 1st time, I agree that they make for excellent villains. The grell were used well in this book too. Drow and illithids take up too much screen time, and even though I immensely enjoy both races, the Underdark is too vast and exciting to only focus on those 2.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  22:21:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
um.... tarp over you... you are at point blank range with a disintegration eye..... or a telekinesis eye that can move 325 pounds....

But, yeah, gotta agree, I've always loved the insane derro.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  23:29:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

um.... tarp over you... you are at point blank range with a disintegration eye..... or a telekinesis eye that can move 325 pounds....

But, yeah, gotta agree, I've always loved the insane derro.

Depending on the position of the eyes when the tarp went over, they may not be aimed properly for offensive use. They could be looking down at the ground, or at the beholder's body, etc.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2013 :  23:34:11  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The detail about the tarp is taken from the point of view of the main person, so you have the aspect of unreliable narrator as far as not knowing what is actually in or made of from the tarp.

They had a habit of doing it to many creatures that showed up through the round glowing bits, so ti would be something reliable enough they do it as a routine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000