Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Sundering (Thematic Trailer)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  03:33:44  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Wizards of the Coast has a nice introduction trailer for The Sundering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W__zxJroio

Everyone who frequents these boards has probably seen but I didn't see a thread about it. I liked it enough to think it deserves it's own thread.

Tthe use of stained glass to hint at things to come was a eye-catching and intriguing choice. I watched the trailer several times just to see the hints in the stained glass. The trailer also provided glimpses of Sundering novel art and some of the characters from the Sundering/Baldur's Gate modules. Again this is of the good quality of the Sundering novel covers (some are the same, some I don't recall from the line-up poster).

It's done in full CG of good A-level video game quality with solid narration. It's great to see WotC not go cheap on marketing, they seem really invested in this. They have a very strong branding with The Sundering logo and the art & multimedia (we're starting to hear about games and apps for collecting adventure data, more to come from Gen Con to be sure). Who knows, maybe this is part of a video game project. (If this is the intro to BGIII, I'm pre-ordering the Collector's Edition now.)

What struck me was the atmosphere of this trailer and the Baldur's Gate setting. It really invokes the intros to Baldur's Gate I & II. If this is the direction they want to head into, I think that's a powerful message on what's to come.

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  03:44:46  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
;-; I already posted that.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  03:56:05  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You posted it amongst many links in a thread originally about the mobile game. I explain why I posted it again. ;)
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  04:04:18  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sniffles*
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  04:04:51  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay then I want your thoughts on the person that looks like the first layer ruler of hell, and whoever that female is.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  04:22:13  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No foul meant. I saw it posted on the Piazza before heading over here. So if anything, it's good to see it spread around.

I thought about the figures in the stained glass, in particular the Sundering logo ones. Any guess is as good as any.

If we're talking big picture (and I do mean the biggest, with the mention of the restored weave and all that), maybe it's the new Mystra (color theme fits, not the bow so much) vs one of the ancient evils that Isteval (the narrator) speaks about.

- The ancient evil could be something new, some new otherworldly invader.
- Or it could be some form of Asmodeus (looks rather diabolical, maybe Mystra's come to collect Azuth's godhood?).
- It could be some form of Bhaal given the BG setting and the prominent Bhaal symbol.
- Heck, it might be Cyric emerged after a century of imprisonment, taken over and changed by some sinister elder force.
- Both could be nothing more than a generic defender of the Realms versus a generic evil for illustrative purposes.

The other thread talked about the female figure being Mielikki or someone else perhaps.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  04:30:28  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah... I don't see Mielikki, but I love the thought of Bel, getting some published limelight, makes me a little curious , out of all the lords of hell, he is said to be the most loyal, so the most likely to be a "warrior" of him.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  04:34:36  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, loyal as far as a devil goes, he did betray his former superior to claim his current position as Lord of the First.
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  14:32:25  Show Profile Send Learned Scribe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much to the directors chagrin, the "heroes" assembled in the final scene were all Scribes of Candlekeep. After Estevar's rallying cry, the following comments rang forth, in nasal whine:

Scribe 1: I can't help, Estevar! My favorite deity wasn't mentioned in the campaign setting guide! The Realms are dead to me!

Scribe 2: I'm an Elf, Estevar, but some humans have been calling me an Eladrin! Well, actually, I'm a Tel'ques... but I find Elf less offensive than Eladrin! The Realms are dead to me!

Scribe 3: I'd go help you, Estevar, but my map of Faerun is a different color than yours! And some of the cities on your map don't appear on mine! These clearly are not the same Realms at all!

Scribe 4: No way, Estevar! I saw a dragon-man the other day! Not a dragon-kin, not a saurial... A dragon-man! Ain't no durn-dirty way Ima gun' share no Realms no-how with a durn-dirty dragon-man!

Scribe 5: The Spellplague killed a lot of people, Estevar! So... uhm... well, in the face of tragedy, it's best to run and hide!

Scribe 6: Maztica is gone! How can we save the Realms if Maztica is gone?! Do you know how many amazing adventures I've had in Maztica?! DO YOU KNOW, ESTEVAR, DO YOU KNOW!! MAZTICA!!

These comments from the assembled scribes were, of course, removed from the final cut.

The six scribes of Candlekeep then returned to their storied library, where they could re-read their tomes-of-the-way-things-were, confident that as long as they stayed within its wall, nothing would ever change.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  15:09:04  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe you are trolling
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  15:12:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
on the stained glass entries, the one with the blue woman shows her firing arrows from a bow. The arrow head is shaped somewhat like a crescent moon. She appears to be facing off against a red dragonish-humanoid wielding a sword (so possibly as a guess, when the ice moon Zotha was hurled to Faerun).

the next stained glass is obviously Netheril, and you'll note that it changes as he passes from Netheril in its height to Netheril crashing.

the next I can't say for certain. I'm not sure who the big fiend with the horn coming out of his head is.

The last is obviously Bhaal, so I'm imagining that murder in Baldur's Gate will feature Bhaal's return.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  16:12:03  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arry

Learned Scribe you are trolling

Nah, a little satire never hurt anything, except (apparently) some feelings... :)

Great video, I only had a chance to watch it once through yet. Will have to keep a closer eye on the details next time!

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  16:28:33  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Wizards of the Coast has a nice introduction trailer for The Sundering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W__zxJroio

Everyone who frequents these boards has probably seen but I didn't see a thread about it. I liked it enough to think it deserves it's own thread.

Tthe use of stained glass to hint at things to come was a eye-catching and intriguing choice. I watched the trailer several times just to see the hints in the stained glass. The trailer also provided glimpses of Sundering novel art and some of the characters from the Sundering/Baldur's Gate modules. Again this is of the good quality of the Sundering novel covers (some are the same, some I don't recall from the line-up poster).

It's done in full CG of good A-level video game quality with solid narration. It's great to see WotC not go cheap on marketing, they seem really invested in this. They have a very strong branding with The Sundering logo and the art & multimedia (we're starting to hear about games and apps for collecting adventure data, more to come from Gen Con to be sure). Who knows, maybe this is part of a video game project. (If this is the intro to BGIII, I'm pre-ordering the Collector's Edition now.)

What struck me was the atmosphere of this trailer and the Baldur's Gate setting. It really invokes the intros to Baldur's Gate I & II. If this is the direction they want to head into, I think that's a powerful message on what's to come.

"Baldurs Gate III The Sundering" somebody make it happen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  16:54:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Liked the video, very good graphics. As for the sundering, in my Realms Returned Abeir is there to stay. But lets see what I can pull from the new stuff they create. I'm sure theres bound to be lots of gems in there to enhance my 4E games (and possible 5E games if we move towards that direction).

As a side: Learned Scribe's satire was kinda funny. Made me chuckle
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  16:55:47  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice video i like how action is portrayed in the colored glasses and Isteval is well made!

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  17:18:35  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I liked it, too.
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  17:35:43  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, really. I especially like the concept of Isteval, paladin of Lathander.

I just hope it's not another heresy.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:18:39  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I will post this question in a new thread if it's considered off topic but...

This notion of WE THE PLAYERS having a hand in shaping the fate of the Realms (through the mobile app and hobby store gaming) has me a bit puzzled. Presumably, our majority decisions (mentioned at the end of the trailer) will impact some of the decisions made by WotC for the Realms. Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical. I can see MINOR decisions being made (the location of this treasure here, the life or death of this minor NPC there) but not the BIG stuff (the life of say the king of Cormyr, the return of a given Chosen of Mystra, the fate of a specific deity such as Asmo, etc).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, in fact, I quite like it. But does anyone think these games will truly shape the FATE of the Realms?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:30:23  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Learned Scribe

Much to the directors chagrin, the "heroes" assembled in the final scene were all Scribes of Candlekeep. After Estevar's rallying cry, the following comments rang forth, in nasal whine:

Scribe 1: I can't help, Estevar! My favorite deity wasn't mentioned in the campaign setting guide! The Realms are dead to me!

Scribe 2: I'm an Elf, Estevar, but some humans have been calling me an Eladrin! Well, actually, I'm a Tel'ques... but I find Elf less offensive than Eladrin! The Realms are dead to me!

Scribe 3: I'd go help you, Estevar, but my map of Faerun is a different color than yours! And some of the cities on your map don't appear on mine! These clearly are not the same Realms at all!

Scribe 4: No way, Estevar! I saw a dragon-man the other day! Not a dragon-kin, not a saurial... A dragon-man! Ain't no durn-dirty way Ima gun' share no Realms no-how with a durn-dirty dragon-man!

Scribe 5: The Spellplague killed a lot of people, Estevar! So... uhm... well, in the face of tragedy, it's best to run and hide!

Scribe 6: Maztica is gone! How can we save the Realms if Maztica is gone?! Do you know how many amazing adventures I've had in Maztica?! DO YOU KNOW, ESTEVAR, DO YOU KNOW!! MAZTICA!!

These comments from the assembled scribes were, of course, removed from the final cut.

The six scribes of Candlekeep then returned to their storied library, where they could re-read their tomes-of-the-way-things-were, confident that as long as they stayed within its wall, nothing would ever change.

Oh you poor little thing. Have your grapes gone sour?

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:39:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Okay, I will post this question in a new thread if it's considered off topic but...

This notion of WE THE PLAYERS having a hand in shaping the fate of the Realms (through the mobile app and hobby store gaming) has me a bit puzzled. Presumably, our majority decisions (mentioned at the end of the trailer) will impact some of the decisions made by WotC for the Realms. Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical. I can see MINOR decisions being made (the location of this treasure here, the life or death of this minor NPC there) but not the BIG stuff (the life of say the king of Cormyr, the return of a given Chosen of Mystra, the fate of a specific deity such as Asmo, etc).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, in fact, I quite like it. But does anyone think these games will truly shape the FATE of the Realms?

I don't, and -personally- I wouldn't like to see it implemented.

What happens if you get 49/51 ratios for the destruction/death of places or characters (or even 30-70)? I can picture many people (myself included) getting pissed if stuff is removed in this way.

Letting players' campaigns decide over things like that doesn't sound probable to me.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 07 Aug 2013 18:40:26
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:42:08  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

What happens if you get 49/51 ratios for the destruction/death of places or characters (or even 30-70)? I can picture many people (myself included) getting pissed if stuff is removed in this way.

Letting players' campaigns decide over things like that doesn't sound probable to me.

George bush won the presidency with that Ratio in 2000, and the US is still here.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:45:11  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I little satire never hurt anyone. This is all fun and games any way, if we can't laugh at each other once in a while this would be a dour place.

I think LS missed a final truncated scene in that extended work print where many additional scribes in the background uttered "You Maniacs! You blew it up!" And far be it from simply pouring over older tomes in silence, they were actively discussing them over the last 4-5 years in forums where such talk is oft to occur. Then the High Scribes and their incorporated patron nodded in understanding, perhaps they had gone a tad too far, they acknowledged this and said they would try to bring all to the Realms once again. As you see, the story didn't quite end there and it is ongoing.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  18:48:35  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

I little satire never hurt anyone. This is all fun and games any way, if we can't laugh at each other once in a while this would be a dour place.

I think LS missed a final truncated scene in that extended work print where many additional scribes in the background uttered "You Maniacs! You blew it up!" And far be it from simply pouring over older tomes in silence, they were actively discussing them over the last 4-5 years in forums where such talk is oft to occur. Then the High Scribes and their incorporated patron nodded in understanding, perhaps they had gone a tad too far, they acknowledged this and said they would try to bring all to the Realms once again. As you see, the story didn't quite end there and it is ongoing.

I think the satire might have been funnier, if bitterness was not demonstrated in the other 25 troll posts LS made.

It seems more like a lashing out satirical though it may be.

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  19:02:01  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A picture of Isteval (from the Ghost of Dragonspear Castle preorder site): http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/all_images/GF9/Miniatures/GoDsC-3.jpg

As for players having a say in the course of the Realms. It will likely be choosing from a set of pre-determined choices. Even if the margin is narrow, that is still more say than players had before.

Aside from that, I've heard that WotC's MtG events are very successful, but those have major tournaments and a steady stream of new cards to keep up the momentum and buzz.

D&D Encounters had limited connections beyond individual games, but now I'm guessing WotC is hoping that by having player decisions reflected in the progress of the setting, it offers an additional incentive to become active in their gaming program. Making this survey system a part of the Encounters and official WotC gaming program makes it more of an interactive event.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  19:05:18  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dragonish Figure maybe the Primordial The Blazing Rorn who was in the 4e FR.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  19:05:28  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I see in a player decided moment, is not if Lloth lives or dies, but rather smaller details, MAJOR plot points have been written in and taken care of, right now what we are handling are the little things that are small enough to be fun playing, but not large enough that the writers need to take huge account of.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  19:20:21  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

While generally it's never a great idea to let the mob decide what happens to anything, much less an intellectual property, I have to say that it's still pretty uncertain how WotC plans to implement this "help us choose the course" idea.

Or, at least, I'm still not sure what they have in mind.

If it involves Yes/No voting on allowing gods like Bhaal to return, and they restrict it to only people who are playing at gaming stores, then they're going to be ignoring ALL the potential input of people who only read novels or play at home.

Going back, I -really- disliked it when LFR folks determined the history/canon for the Realms. I've never liked the idea that tournament play, which is often extremely different than home-game D&D play, should "mean more" than the home-game play of everyday Realms fans. Additionally, many tournament players -aren't- specifically fans of the Realms or even know all that much about Realms history. They show up for the competitive nature of tournament play, and are there for the loot. Not all of them, but many of them.

So for the Sundering, if game-store players are allowed to influence Realms history but other fans are not, that doesn't seem like a good idea. Personally, I don't have the time or desire to go to a gaming store to play D&D in the Realms, any more than I wanted to be involved in RPGA/LFR. It's just a very different style of play with different goals. I prefer my home games with my family and friends.

As to the specifics of changes that will be "voted" on by players, this could really be a giant can of worms. I can't see WotC putting up really big things (or outcomes) for a vote. If they do, it could be extremely bad for the Realms. Why let such a small sample make such decisions? Why not open it up to novel readers and people who buy their products generally, rather than the small number of people who have the time and interest in going to game stores? Why not open up voting to the general home-game players in the Realms?

On the other hand, they may be limiting the "voting" to smaller issues, or things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. But if that's the case, why do it at all? If this is the plan, then they'll just be accused of putting players/PCs back into the "second fiddle" category to NPCs like the Chosen and the gods.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  20:17:11  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

Okay then I want your thoughts on the person that looks like the first layer ruler of hell, and whoever that female is.
Where's Robert Langdon when you need him?

Anyway, my first thought was the female was Mystra and the devil-like creature was Asmodeus.

My second thought was Selūne and some as yet unknown Primordial.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  20:24:18  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise
Additionally, many tournament players -aren't- specifically fans of the Realms or even know all that much about Realms history. They show up for the competitive nature of tournament play, and are there for the loot. Not all of them, but many of them.
Which might be a good thing, since they are trying to win and if they fail it's because they really failed.

Not a bunch of hardcore Bhaal-fans killing their own parties and then have their character fall on his own sword in the very first fight of the new encounters sessions, because they want as many tables as possible failing to stop the return of Bhaal

Anyway, I am also in the "only minor details will depend on our feedback camp", solely because of the timeframe. Evem the last sundering novel needs to be already in the writing and that can't be done with major details not decided until in a few month

Edited by - Mirtek on 07 Aug 2013 20:26:51
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  20:29:41  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The L5R (Legend of the Five Rings) setting uses the CCG tournaments to determine some of their outcomes. From what I've been able to decipher from that closest comparable program to WotC's plan for the Realms, the broad strokes of major events are pre-painted, but the "winners and losers" are not set. Applied to the Realms it would be something like in a skirmish conflict between Cormyr and Shade/Netheril/Sembia, the status quo might not change that much, but perhaps depending on the actions of the Encounters.

Cormyr might lose some territory, while a major Shade plot to gain ultimate power was thwarted (players chose to stop the elite darksword contingent rather than the mundane army invading Cormyr's border). Meanwhile, the Harpers took severe loses but secretly disrupted major components the Shades needed to set their plan in motion (players accomplished the adventure goals, but with many PC casualties and failure to save Harper agent NPCs). All the while, the Zhentarim moved in and picked up some minor victory at the periphery (more players choose to stop the Shades rather than the Zhents).

The reverse of this might be the Shades achieved their goals, but Cormyr maintained its border integrity, maybe even launched a counter attack into Sembia. Now the Shades have their artifact and Cormyr's hands are stuck in the cookie jar.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  20:34:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

George bush won the presidency with that Ratio in 2000, and the US is still here.

So what. Completely different sitautions. If you delete a city that 49% of your customers wanted to see more lore about, while 51% decided to obliterate it in their campaign, you will get a lot of people pissed. And this would happen even with 70/30 ratios: 30% of your customer base is nothing to laugh at.

Something akin to what Dark Wizard proposes would be far more reasonable.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 07 Aug 2013 20:36:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000