Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Sundering Authors/Story Summit Video
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  21:57:15  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The video from The Sundering Authors/Story Summit was released today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE58PnuF1nU

Yan
Playtester

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  22:04:23  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
can you give me a short hand version of what was said, can't play youtube right now.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  22:06:40  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They basicly talk about the process of creating the Sundering, how exited they are about it and roughly what people can expect: change.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  23:26:49  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I foresee a popular soundbite being:

Bob Salvatore: "My goal for this year is to grab readers by the collar and say... 'It's not what you think.'"

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  01:12:59  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though this is an RSE, I am looking forward to it because it is the writers who are making the decisions this time, and not the vision of (what I perceived to be) only one man. Plus, the focus seems to be healing the rifts caused by the Spellplague, rather than "shaking it up and making it different" to try and lure in new readers.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  01:21:41  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We ducktaped the rift, should help keep all those pesty plot holes from happening.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  02:34:56  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... I love that the 2nd edition map is the one taped to the wall at the meeting. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  02:45:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Even though this is an RSE, I am looking forward to it because it is the writers who are making the decisions this time, and not the vision of (what I perceived to be) only one man. Plus, the focus seems to be healing the rifts caused by the Spellplague, rather than "shaking it up and making it different" to try and lure in new readers.

I think there's still an element of "shaking it up and making it different" -- at least, that's what I got from the "Sundering" trailer. But it was worded in a way that made me think that it would be respectful to most of what came before... including the changes wrought by the Spellplague.

My only real hope at present, given what little we know of the Sundering event, is that the new elements introduced in 4e, won't be hastily withdrawn without some kind of grounding in the lore. That would just make it seem like the whole Spellplague never actually happened.

Instead, I'd prefer the Sundering to take what we know of the Spellplague event, and shape it into something that works with the 5e Realms firmament in the, I guess, post-Sundering setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  03:08:49  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The enthusiasm of the authors going into this is good. Relying on an even bigger RSE to change things once again is dubious, it sounds complex and convoluted, but that's probably why they need six novels. I'm willing to give the RSE to end all RSEs (another) shot.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  04:20:14  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasbro I think gave Wiz a set of money and said " If this does not work consider yourself put on notice "

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  04:53:08  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

Hasbro I think gave Wiz a set of money and said " If this does not work consider yourself put on notice "

Let's face it, the reaction was positive, pre or post 4e Realms release. They turned a lot of people away from it, when I guess what they were trying to do was make the haters like it. When they looked toward Eberron, the Eberron fan base pretty much said "Don't you dare!" to them and they listened. We won't even talk about Dragonlance.

I can't blame them for trying to bring back the feel of the old Realms, but there's only so much they can "fix" with a RSE. With a few exceptions, the old Realms is gone because of the timeline jump.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 07 Aug 2013 04:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  05:06:39  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just cracked into my Amazon delivered copy of 'The Companions' (book one in the series) and I have to say, I'm liking what I've read so far. RAS's love for these particular characters really shines through. It has a very 'glory days of 2E joy' feel to it.

Color me optimistic on the Sundering so far...

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  05:22:51  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

*share a link to the amazon...I can't find it...*
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  05:48:58  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the only relevant link I could find, so I'm not sure if this was what you were meaning...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Companions-Sundering-Book/dp/0786963719/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375850870&sr=8-1&keywords=the+companions
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  12:20:26  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Even though this is an RSE,

What does RSE mean? Thanx!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  12:25:41  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realm(s) Shaking Event

Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  12:29:06  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms Shaking Event

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  12:33:42  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also lots of interviews and announcements on the web released yesterday

CNBC http://www.cnbc.com/id/100942206
IGN http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/06/dungeons-dragons-arena-of-war-revealed
IGN http://talkgeek.net/community/threads/massive-year-long-dungeons-dragons-event-detailed.27485/
Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/08/06/wizards-of-the-coast-launches-the-sundering/

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  14:13:40  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

There is also lots of interviews and announcements on the web released yesterday

CNBC http://www.cnbc.com/id/100942206
IGN http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/06/dungeons-dragons-arena-of-war-revealed
IGN http://talkgeek.net/community/threads/massive-year-long-dungeons-dragons-event-detailed.27485/
Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/08/06/wizards-of-the-coast-launches-the-sundering/

And this one from ICv2: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26417.html

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  17:07:33  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Ahem... I meant to post in the murder for Baldurs Gate thread, but I had to many windows open, can I move it somehow or are Mods needed for that?]

I'm a big fan of Baldurs Gate. But I have always shyied away from having it as a starting location for campaigns because of the lack of lore. Most of it was NDA or from the CRPG so it had a nebulous canon status. I like how they finally will provide a high production quality product detailing my favorite city in the realms!

As for Adon. I agree with Therise and I never liked the idea of a novelization of a CRPG, I prefer open plot hooks to be dealt with vagueliy, like the way the grand history did mention the events but left the actors unnamed.

Bhaal is a good deity to let return because his CRPG fanbase: a strategic move from a marketing perspective. It might be fun to explore the darker sides of his clergy, as the TSR days of 'conduct' are over. I hope there is less focus on actual gods, and more time is devoted to the action of clergies. And oh boy, Bhaalites can be a conflicting and interesting bunch.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 07 Aug 2013 17:16:42
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2013 :  19:04:22  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And at Penny Arcade Report: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/wizards-of-the-coast-is-about-to-start-a-massive-global-game-of-dd-to-resha
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  13:08:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not related to the OP directly...

Something occurred to me on the way to work yesterday; -339 DR is referred to as The Year of Sundered Webs.

Not shattered, not eradicated... nope... SUNDERED. That usually means something was 'split in two'. I've seen hints in other lore that that is when Shar 'stole' back her missing half of magical power (which created Mystryl), but somehow I managed to miss the biggest clue, hiding in plain sight.

So I was thinking about this, and also the Spellplague (which was a ToT on steroids) - all of these seem like 'Sundering events': Points in time when the initial 'Sunderization' became unstable, and physical matter and energy got swapped between worlds.

We also know the Elves tapped into the initial sundering when they cast their high magic ritual, thus creating Evermeet retroactively. That means the world that should have been got altered by the Elves - everything that had happened up until the point they cast that ritual got 'rewritten'.

Perhaps the Sundering will restore Toril to its 'un-elfified' version - the one Ao meant to happen. All the badness seems linked to the Elves.

It would be one helluva way to provide an in-story reset (a'la Star Trek, but unlike that movie, tied to past lore). And, of course, this 'might have been' Toril would be much closer to Ed's original version.

What does this have to do with Mystra and the Weave? Everything - Elves have very deep connections to magic. When the Weave was created, it was supposed to keep the two worlds apart, but the Elves weakened it when they tapped into it... everything that has happened is their fault.

Just more of my theorizing... YMV.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Aug 2013 13:12:00
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  15:41:46  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, I think you're on the right track, but...

It really depends on perspective and the "thing" that's being sundered. What exactly was it that was sundered the first time around?

From the perspective of mortals, with their limited vision and insight, they typically see the Sundering as the sundering of the world - the sundering of the massive single continent, originally. In the current case, the sundering (driving apart) of the two worlds. But was the world sundered? Or was something else sundered and everything we've seen just been after-effects?

The original break-apart of the giant continent, the much later arrival of a chunk of Arvandor, the much, much later Spellplague and the moving around of various planes, all of those are - I think - after-effects of the thing that was actually sundered.

According to the newly revealed history, AO created Abeir and set it apart from Toril because of the conflict between the gods (Estelar) and the Titans (primordials). In order for things not to cross over and the war to keep continuing, AO probably created some kind of barrier or energy field that kept Abeir phased or apart... something on that order.

That barrier, IMO, is THE thing that was Sundered. Everything else has been an after-effect as the worlds moved "closer" together. But it isn't just Abeir that was moving closer, it was also the feywild (or whatever you want to call it) and the shadowfel. Multiple "realities" AND Abeir have been on a collision course with Toril ever since the original sundering of that barrier... whatever it was. This would also, I think, explain why Fareun/Toril has had so many portals and "thin gateways" where people can accidentally traverse great distances or even walk between worlds.

The Weave may not have been just about controlling magic, but also may have been a "patch" to keep a lot of seriously insane reality-thinning effects from happening all the time. Regular crossovers to the Far Realms would've been really bad, as would a lot of regular crossovers with the lower planes. So the Weave is both a method of encouraging use of magic, but it's also been a "patch" to keep serious bad things from crossing over into Toril.

In order for the Elves to pull a chunk of Arvandor into Toril, they had to sunder that barrier separating all the different realities that touched Toril. And we're told that Corellon and Angharradh "helped" in some way... perhaps to push that chunk of Arvandor through the shattered barrier, or perhaps to mop up the damage after the first epic casting.

But mortals... we hear "sundering" and we think about what we can see: Toril. We think the sundering was about the sundering of our world's giant continent.

If AO hadn't created Abeir, a "barrier" would not have been necessary. If the barrier had not been shattered, perhaps the Weave itself would not have been necessary as a "patch". And since AO is not re-creating the barrier this time but moving the realities (and worlds) apart, the Weave will still be needed. This time, AO is doing something different, additional perhaps, instead of restoring the barrier.

Just a theory, of course.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 09 Aug 2013 15:53:14
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  18:32:55  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Markus, I think you're on the right track, but...

It really depends on perspective and the "thing" that's being sundered. What exactly was it that was sundered the first time around?

From the perspective of mortals, with their limited vision and insight, they typically see the Sundering as the sundering of the world - the sundering of the massive single continent, originally. In the current case, the sundering (driving apart) of the two worlds. But was the world sundered? Or was something else sundered and everything we've seen just been after-effects?

The original break-apart of the giant continent, the much later arrival of a chunk of Arvandor, the much, much later Spellplague and the moving around of various planes, all of those are - I think - after-effects of the thing that was actually sundered.

According to the newly revealed history, AO created Abeir and set it apart from Toril because of the conflict between the gods (Estelar) and the Titans (primordials). In order for things not to cross over and the war to keep continuing, AO probably created some kind of barrier or energy field that kept Abeir phased or apart... something on that order.

That barrier, IMO, is THE thing that was Sundered. Everything else has been an after-effect as the worlds moved "closer" together. But it isn't just Abeir that was moving closer, it was also the feywild (or whatever you want to call it) and the shadowfel. Multiple "realities" AND Abeir have been on a collision course with Toril ever since the original sundering of that barrier... whatever it was. This would also, I think, explain why Fareun/Toril has had so many portals and "thin gateways" where people can accidentally traverse great distances or even walk between worlds.

The Weave may not have been just about controlling magic, but also may have been a "patch" to keep a lot of seriously insane reality-thinning effects from happening all the time. Regular crossovers to the Far Realms would've been really bad, as would a lot of regular crossovers with the lower planes. So the Weave is both a method of encouraging use of magic, but it's also been a "patch" to keep serious bad things from crossing over into Toril.

In order for the Elves to pull a chunk of Arvandor into Toril, they had to sunder that barrier separating all the different realities that touched Toril. And we're told that Corellon and Angharradh "helped" in some way... perhaps to push that chunk of Arvandor through the shattered barrier, or perhaps to mop up the damage after the first epic casting.

But mortals... we hear "sundering" and we think about what we can see: Toril. We think the sundering was about the sundering of our world's giant continent.

If AO hadn't created Abeir, a "barrier" would not have been necessary. If the barrier had not been shattered, perhaps the Weave itself would not have been necessary as a "patch". And since AO is not re-creating the barrier this time but moving the realities (and worlds) apart, the Weave will still be needed. This time, AO is doing something different, additional perhaps, instead of restoring the barrier.

Just a theory, of course.

I like the theory!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  20:07:20  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<-< am really tired of elves and humans, I want dwarves and gnomes to save the day.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  20:39:34  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But... but.. but... gnomes are evil! Are you not aware of their vile scheme to take over the multiverse while they pretend to be all harmless? Never trust a gnome!

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  20:46:02  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

But... but.. but... gnomes are evil! Are you not aware of their vile scheme to take over the multiverse while they pretend to be all harmless?

And try to sell you travel packages?

http://www.neotravel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/travelocity-gnome.jpg

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 09 Aug 2013 20:50:44
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  21:11:16  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
god if bane says gnomes are evil, they must be vile archtypes
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  23:13:08  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG Markustay and Therise...all this speculation is driving me CRAZY! I need answers from WotC NOW!

Both of your theories have a great deal of merit and they make SENSE. My main worry (as I've stated many times now) is that the upcoming events wont have a SENSIBLE rationale. Your theories give them just that.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  11:46:28  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jokes aside, gnomes can be fun, especially when they follow Gond and come up with all sorts of weird inventions

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2013 :  15:38:47  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Jokes aside, gnomes can be fun, especially when they follow Gond and come up with all sorts of weird inventions

Hand cannons and flying attack drones. The latter disguised as harmless forest creatures, no doubt.

Don't underestimate them! I have no doubt that Lantan is hidden behind a defensive forcefield / cloaking canopy, and the little mad scientists are twirling their long, waxed mustachios even now.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 10 Aug 2013 15:39:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000