Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5e FR Art
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  15:53:52  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone like the new concept art for the Realms? Gotta say I'm quite disappointed in what I see on the net. I will post the link I found if Wooly gives permission.

They look a bit like cartoons to me. I know this is color art but I prefer a more realistic and polished look, especially for a 'top of the line brand' like the Realms. I really like most of the artwork done for 3e Eberron, for example.

Here is the link, thanks to Wooly for giving permission:

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/2013/01/forgotten-realms-5e-concept-art.html

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 05 Aug 2013 16:53:25

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  16:27:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Does anyone like the new concept art for the Realms? Gotta say I'm quite disappointed in what I see on the net. I will post the link I found if Wooly gives permission.

They look a bit like cartoons to me. I know this is color art but I prefer a more realistic and polished look, especially for a 'top of the line brand' like the Realms. I really like most of the artwork done for 3e Eberron, for example.

Go ahead and share the link.

I think it's actually been shared before -- some of that art looked familiar. I can't say I particularly liked any of it, but at the same time, I didn't particularly dislike any of it, either. The halflings look a bit cartoony, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  16:54:22  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping that this concept art is a far cry from what the final artwork will look like.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  17:20:13  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, most of that art , the person who does the art seems to be use to making sci fi styled armor (bulky hard edges very shoulder-esque) , so I doubt this is going to be anything close to what they want, as you see it reflected in the method that id drawn here for the fantasy art.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  01:16:31  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that the art is that bad. Plus the sundering art so far has been amazing. I am still bummed that I missed getting that poster last year.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  02:30:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've seen that before - there was another thread.

It isn't anything special, but on the other hand, it isn't anything disturbingly different.

Loving the Displace Beast, and that Aboleth might actually make me change my mind about Aboleths (that ain't no catfish!)

The halflings look way too cartoony - way to take us back to the 'bad ol days'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Aug 2013 02:33:25
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  03:26:23  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I wouldn't say I'm particularly enamored with the artwork, I don't dislike it either. I think the monsters are pretty good, particularly the Aboleth, but with the Displacer Beast and Gnoll also being pretty good. I don't especially like the way any of the humanoids or characters turned out though. It wouldn't prevent me from buying a book if this style was in there, but none of the PC creatures grabbed me in any way.

Edited by - idilippy on 06 Aug 2013 03:26:50
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  03:39:17  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In every edition the humanoids have been hit and miss depending on the artist, so while I would agree that the humanoids that I've seen thus far are a miss the Displacer Beast is done well and the Aboleth is just stunning.

Though to be fair, I do love the color panorama of the iconic npc's that was done.

Edited by - ksu_bond on 06 Aug 2013 03:41:34
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  04:27:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like the halfling and gnome images.

I'm also particularly keen on the yuan-ti and sahuagin concepts as well.

Good stuff!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  06:06:24  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Sundering line-up art, less so the FR concept art. The former seems expressive and interesting, the latter seems forgettable. It's good stuff to be sure, just doesn't look distinct or interesting to me.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  08:32:21  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

I like the Sundering line-up art, less so the FR concept art. The former seems expressive and interesting, the latter seems forgettable. It's good stuff to be sure, just doesn't look distinct or interesting to me.

Pretty much have to agree. I will preface by saying that this artist has some outrageous talent - it's not difficult to see why they were chosen to illustrate the new edition. Though I will admit to being an Elmore man, and I wish he'd been tapped to contribute.

Monsters and setting - awesome work. 'Nuff said.

Player races: Human, elves, and barbarians (and combinations thereof) are nicely done. I really can't say the others impress me. Dwarves being a bit too blocky, but I could live with it (being dwarves, after all)...but the others are also too blocky, and I'm not really enthused with that style for what are supposedly more supple and nimble races.

Despite that, next to the creepy Roswell 'Mialee' look of earlier editions, my issues are few and far between.

- OMH

Edited by - Old Man Harpell on 06 Aug 2013 08:33:25
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  16:11:41  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an earlier scroll that discussed that art, but I can't find it to link to it.

In short: I like the artwork. It is concept art, but I think they're headed in the right direction.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000