Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What town is south of the Cloak Wood?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  02:24:20  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I found a map on the Forgotten Realms wiki (see link below), which depicts a town that ends in the letters 'inaar.' What is this?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111103210157/forgottenrealms/images/8/8d/Kheldrivver.jpg

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  03:16:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not ringing any mental bells at the moment, but judging from some of the other locales on this map, I'd say it's a homebrew-campaign workup, so that town ending in '-inaar' might be specific to this homebrew campaign, and therefore not a canon Realms locale.

But, as I kind of said, this is going from memory, so I could be off the mark somewhat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  03:18:50  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact that it's on the Forgotten Realm wiki kind've tells me that it's probably not homebrew. On the other hand, it is a fan created site, so maybe someone stuck something in there by accident and didn't realize it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  03:35:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the admin staff of the FR Wiki have been working hard to prevent such occurrences, so you could be right in that this is an official locale.

I just can't seem to remember the name of it... if it is.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  04:20:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its one of mine, although it shouldn't have made it onto a Wiki. Not only is that town not canon (that was done for someone's campaign over at the WotC boards), but I am pretty sure Arylon is non-canon as well (from some other project I found floating around the web).

Can't for the life of me remember the full name of that town, and since all my originals are long gone, I can't even look it up - sorry.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  04:25:34  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a Markustay map. The full version is here:
http://markustay.deviantart.com/art/BG-Environs-118127441

Some years ago, someone put all his maps on the wiki, with his permission (I've been meaning to ask him about that). I think we're broadly in favour of accepting them, but haven't had a discussion on them yet. Though very good and accurate, some of his additions are homebrewed or altered. See the boilerplate disclaimer I wrote and added to every one of them:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/File:Kheldrivver.jpg
(under Licensing).

The full name is Veldinaar, but this doesn't appear on Markustay's later maps of the region, like this one:
http://markustay.deviantart.com/art/Swordcoast-179561450
So I'd assume it's a Markustay original.

Thanks, I'll replace it with a clean, accurate map later.

EDIT: And there's the man himself!

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki

Edited by - BadCatMan on 28 Jul 2013 04:29:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  04:47:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL - and I couldn't even find that when I specifically went looking for it.

The most accurate canon one to date is the last one I made of the Northeast portion of Faerūn - I never finished the eastern map.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Jul 2013 04:48:06
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  09:01:09  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've probably spent too long looking at your maps. :)

Well, I've updated the map, but then found the replacement still has Arylon and Rysheos (which I also presume to be homebrew, or at least a given name to the Boareskyr Bridge settlement?) on it. I'll try again next time.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  14:57:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rysheos is canon - its from the story The Meaning of Lore by Barb Hendee, in Realms of Infamy. Its placement was difficult - it should have been right at the crossing (the most sensible place for a town-soon-to-be-city), but we already know Boerskyr Bridge is there, and the canon we have for that doesn't indicate any sort of settlement of note around it.* Its also referred to as a "newly established boomtown", which is why it hadn't shown up on previous maps (in theory).

Ergo, I placed it just SE of the Bridge, about an 8-hour ride from it. In my head (homebrew) I have figured Rysheos' Lord Teelo would love to annex the bridge, but hasn't done so, in fear of angering other powers in the area (which would even include Waterdeep, far to the north).

I don't know what map you are looking at BadCatMan (whatever happened to GoodCatMan? ), but the one I linked above is as canon as possible - it even uses the older 1e/2e layout for the geography. Every name on that map is from a canon source - some DIRECTLY from Ed himself (so they are canon, but never before seen anywhere).

*EDIT: In hindsight, since that story is not dated, one might assume that the town of Rysheos is indeed at Boerskyr Bridge - that the story took place in that 'lost century' (Wailing Years). If I were making decisions at WotC, I would place it right there, at the bridge, on any 5e maps. Since my maps are circa 3e, I could not do that.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Jul 2013 15:04:56
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  16:12:48  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This community is amazing. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  18:09:11  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One last question for Markustay: I'm looking at your map and it shows a little river going up to the Friendly Arm. However, it's not in the Third Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. Was this in one of the novels or something? Let me know.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  02:36:36  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks MT. On that big latest map of yours, I saw places like Rhysheos, Beldenshyn, Anga Vled, Asher, and the Ceranda Hills, and none of them were remotely familiar to me, even though I once explored the whole area. So I steered clear of that map and used the second map I linked to above. I'll have another go next time and update the Wiki map to your latest canonical version.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  03:54:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asher was in Crypt of the Shadowking (the Ceranda Hills was probably from there as well); the rest were in Dragon articles, IIRC.

I know they are all canon (including a few further north which probably shouldn't be there... since that product hasn't been released yet).
quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow

One last question for Markustay: I'm looking at your map and it shows a little river going up to the Friendly Arm. However, it's not in the Third Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. Was this in one of the novels or something? Let me know.
Those rivers were from a map that came with the BG video Game - you can see that HERE.

When I superimposed that over the canon FR map, many things (surprisingly) lined-up. Even though I know the VG's aren't technically canon, I couldn't help but sneak in a couple of elements from the games onto my map. AFAIK, they have no names (yet).

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jul 2013 03:56:28
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  13:49:44  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000