Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 3.5 rules for Spellscarred
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Kristivas
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  19:43:00  Show Profile Send Lord Kristivas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Over at ENworld, I was asking about 3.5 rules for Spellscarred. See, my friends and I want to play in the updated Realms, with 3.5 rules. I was given a warning ahead of time. Here is an excerpt.

"If you go to forum.candlekeep.com and ask the same question you should be able to spawn a 20-page thread of bile and vitriol directed at the 4E Realms." -Scrivener of Doom

I don't want to spawn a 20-page thread of bile and vitriol. I would like to know if there's an accepted conversion for the Spellscarred for the 3.5 rules. Can anyone here give me a hand with this, without telling me all the reasons 4e is bad? I would appreciate any help and advice.

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  21:42:02  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been working on "converting" aspects of 4e into my 3/3.5e game...I've not fully absorbed all the 4e changes, but I have been playing with the idea that the Spellplague (the cause I still haven't solidified, but Mystra certainly didn't die) are much like the Wild Magic areas, and some of the larger Wild Magic areas know have Spellplague zones. As to the Spellscarred that is a work in progress and the notes i've made on that are unfortunately at home...but I will pass along what I've been tinkering around with.

Likewise, other ideas would be much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  22:27:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always thought that the mechanics for dragonmarks, from Eber-whatsit, would work for spellscars in 3.5

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  23:09:05  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you already checked this, didn't you?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289623

Go to Top of Page

Lord Kristivas
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  23:34:31  Show Profile Send Lord Kristivas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

you already checked this, didn't you?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289623

I had not. Though, I had hoped there'd be some way to apply it as a template, rather than a multiclass option. Something that could be augmented with feats, etc.

The dragonmark thing is a good idea to look into.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  03:12:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always thought that the mechanics for dragonmarks, from Eber-whatsit, would work for spellscars in 3.5

I thought much the same.

And some of the later EBERRON books really bring the concept together with the expanded abilities and specific PrCs that were designed for enhancing the powers of a particular Dragonmark.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  14:09:20  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can get some good information for Dragonmarks here http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonmarks if you dont have the Ebberon books. You may want to check the DDO http://ddowiki.com/page/Dragonmarks as well, for information/ideas.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  21:53:10  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't able to locate my notes, still getting settled from the 8000 mile move. But as has already been mentioned, I basically just tweaked the Dragonmark rules a bit, making it a bit more Realmsian, this allowed me to incorporate Spellscars and Dragonmarks (although now as Spellscars).

While the Spellplague was only an outbreak of new wild magic zones, though with obviously different effects. Although I haven't created any concrete back story yet (haven't really made the time to think too indepth about it really) the in game theories are that: it is some how due to the return of and growing power of the Shade and the Shadow Weave and it's increased interaction with the Weave; it the result of arcane experimentation with Wild Magic zones; something is happening with Mystra (though obviously she is still alive and kicking); some are blaming Talona (her clergy is happy to have this rumor spread) or Moander (which the few remaining Cultists have taken to be a sign of "hope").
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2013 :  20:10:39  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DDO Dragonmark system is a feat based one - hope it helps

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2013 :  21:32:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

I wasn't able to locate my notes, still getting settled from the 8000 mile move. But as has already been mentioned, I basically just tweaked the Dragonmark rules a bit, making it a bit more Realmsian, this allowed me to incorporate Spellscars and Dragonmarks (although now as Spellscars).

While the Spellplague was only an outbreak of new wild magic zones, though with obviously different effects. Although I haven't created any concrete back story yet (haven't really made the time to think too indepth about it really) the in game theories are that: it is some how due to the return of and growing power of the Shade and the Shadow Weave and it's increased interaction with the Weave; it the result of arcane experimentation with Wild Magic zones; something is happening with Mystra (though obviously she is still alive and kicking); some are blaming Talona (her clergy is happy to have this rumor spread) or Moander (which the few remaining Cultists have taken to be a sign of "hope").

When I first saw how 3.0E was different from 2E, I wondered how they'd implement it in the Realms. When I saw that Shade was going to return, I fully expected that Shade's return would provide the necessary explanation for the changes.

I shan't comment further on the way Shade's return, or the transition from 2E to 3E, was handled.

Thinking on it, though... If one wanted to use Shade's return to explain changes -- perhaps to the point of triggering spellscars -- then some tweaking to canon is necessary...

Perhaps the Netherese had created some grand artifact, or perhaps it was part of Karsus's plan when he cast his Ultimate Folly spell.

If you say that this artifact was integral to bringing Shade back, perhaps its activation caused the necessary disruption to get spellscars and such. Perhaps it wasn't the activation itself, but the use of the Shadow Weave to activate it -- Tilverton is a great example of how Weave-based artifacts and the Shadow Weave don't play well together.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  03:49:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

The "something is happening with Mystra" angle is interesting.

Perhaps we could hint that another deity [and not necessarily, Shar] has found a "loop hole" in the Weave that would allow for the manipulative influence of spellscarred on both spellcasting and non-spellcasting mortals. Maybe tie this in the Talona bit and suggest that she has "tainted" strands of the Weave which the spellscarred can tap into for their magical abilities.

Heh. That could suggest that the spellscarred are a "disease" or "taint" upon the Weave. Which would open up entirely new kinds of roleplaying opportunities.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  06:38:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I was thinking on this a bit further... And I'll prolly use this to re-spin the return of Shade in my own Realms, since -- as I've said in the past -- I thought WotC would use Shade's return to explain the sudden advent of sorcerers and the like. I think it can also be used as a background for the appearance of spellscars.

So, when Karsus was planning his Ultimate Folly spell, he needed to gather and store a hell of a lot of magical energy. So he built this huge ring...

The ring is hundreds of miles in diameter, and it's defined by arrangements of standing stones. From the ground, these stones appear to be randomly scattered about, perhaps even natural formations... But when viewed from above by someone with a very in-depth knowledge of spellcraft, it's obvious that each of these stone formations actually is a rune of some sort.

See, each of these sets of stones is set somewhere where magic is quite strong -- at convergences of ley lines, if you will. The shape of the runes allows the stones to draw on and store the magic of these places, and their placement at precise places in the circle increases and focuses that stored power.

And actually, it doesn't have to be a ring, it could be that all of these stone emplacements would, if marked on a map and connected with lines, form some other mystical pattern, or a gigantic glyph. Either way, the individual stone formations are far enough apart that no one has ever realized there was a connection between them.

So anyway, Karsus used this to up his own power when he cast his Ultimate Folly spell. And it was due in no small part to that magic ring that he had enough power to temporarily seize divinity...

Now it's 16 centuries later, and Shade agents, sent thru in small numbers, have managed to realign all of these stones, and use the power to create a big enough portal to bring Shade back into the light. Of course, with 16 centuries of accumulating magic and the stones having been misaligned for much of that time, the magic got out of hand -- it was the arcane equivalent of dropping a bunch of nukes. There was way too much power, and though the Shades achieved their goal, the power quickly spun out of control.

The entire Weave was distorted by the unleashing of that much magic. Tsunami-like waves raced throughout the Weave, temporarily stunning Mystra and impacting the magic of the Realms like nothing since Netheril's Fall. Races never before able to touch the Weave found its wonders opening before them, and others discovered an innate connection to the Weave wholly different from that of wizards. Storms of wild magic flared and died in an instant, and many found themselves marked by the unchecked power of the distorted and rippling Weave.

It took mere moments for Mystra to reassert her control of the Weave, but in those few breaths, magic in the Realms was irrevocably changed.

Sorry, the writer in me slipped the leash for a minute, there....

But anyway, with this idea (or something similar), you could readily explain the sudden appearance of sorcerers, have an explanation for why races who previously didn't use much (or any) magic suddenly have that capability, and get your spellscars or other limited (as in, not continent-swapping or planes-destroying) effects of the canon Sellplague.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Jul 2013 06:53:40
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  21:23:38  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love both ideas!!! Don't mind me, I'll just be updating my notes...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  23:04:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to help! I'm rather taken with the idea, myself, and wish I'd've thought of it earlier -- I've long been bugged by the way the changes of the 2E/3E transition were simply hand-waved aside.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  01:05:16  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy bat guano Wooley...GREAT IDEA! I have absolutely HATED the whole Spellplague thing but this spin is very interesting! Please give us some updates on how you handle it as I think it will be getting integrated into my Realms now (although Halruaa and other areas will NEVER be destroyed).

Question: As I really like MT's Golarealms, what are your thoughts on the changing landscapes? Since the plague eliminated Halruaa and what have you, do you (or anyone else) see any reasonable way to change the Realms is such a radical fashion?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  01:20:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Holy bat guano Wooley...GREAT IDEA! I have absolutely HATED the whole Spellplague thing but this spin is very interesting! Please give us some updates on how you handle it as I think it will be getting integrated into my Realms now (although Halruaa and other areas will NEVER be destroyed).

Question: As I really like MT's Golarealms, what are your thoughts on the changing landscapes? Since the plague eliminated Halruaa and what have you, do you (or anyone else) see any reasonable way to change the Realms is such a radical fashion?

Well, keep in mind two things: 1) I am not DMing anything at the moment, this is just how I would handle it, and 2) My personal Realms would diverge from the canon Realms at about where 3E starts. While there is plenty that is worth keeping in 3E, I was dissatisfied with several aspects of it, and would change those for my own personal Realms.

So I'd use my explanation above for explaining how magic changed in general (including who could use it and how), but I wouldn't go as far as the Spellplague.

If I did have to engineer the land swaps and destruction of the Spellplague, I'd start with the death of Ao, as has been previously suggested for a better way to explain things. I'd not go with the twinned planets thing, though, since that was a retcon. Maybe instead it'd be something like a full-on incursion from another world, where they knew their world was soon to be destroyed, and the battles between their gods and the gods of the Realms caused the whole mess. You could usher in a lot of changes with battles between entire pantheons... This idea kinda blend the Riftwar and the Possibility Wars, I think.

I also have a scroll somewhere where I respun the death of Mystra, with my only goals being to off Mystra 2.0 and some of her Chosen.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  01:53:27  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall the thread but I detest the idea of killing gods without VERY good reason. I would either want a good replacement for Ao or he would need to come back somehow. Perhaps somehow losing control of his power would be a better explanation (maybe being temporarily detached from it by another highgod).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000