Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Best Forgotten realms novel you ever had
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  23:13:15  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hmm If i had to chose the best forgotten realms novel I have ever been given, I would say Finder's Bane, a fun mix of elements going on .

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  00:49:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good choice. I'd also cast votes for Masquerade, Azure Bonds, Cormyr, Evermeet, and Elfshadow.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  01:05:38  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr and Evermeet make top of my list. I love the way they delve into the history of those regions. I also liked the novels based on the Moonshaes as well.

Oh and I cant remember the names of them now...but the worst series was the one in which the gods were stealing cities from the Moonsea(?) region.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 19 Jun 2013 01:08:50
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  02:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to put the original dark elf trilogy and the cleric quintet on my list.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  02:33:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in no particular order:

Darkwalker on Moonshae

Ghostwalker

Elfshadow

Spellfire

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  03:48:52  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to stick with Spellfire for me, even after all these years. It was my first realms book and still to this day captures what I like best about the realms. I am also still an advocate for reading all of them. Lots of very, very good realms stories by talented authors over the past 20 + years.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  04:23:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I could pick one favorite, but I really liked Elfshadow too, in spite of totally hating Danilo... which I think says a lot about a book, when you love the writing in spite of detesting one of the protagonists. I liked the plot, I liked Arilyn and the other characters, and I really enjoyed Arilyn's struggle and victory. Danilo is just so obnoxious. I was really hoping Elaith would skewer him. I still occasionally indulge in an alternate reality where Danilo got his come-uppance for being such a doof.

I loved Spellfire but it was a bit of a mixed bag. Ed's story, or the bits of it we get, are fantastic. This is one I'd really like an uncut version of. I wasn't a huge fan of how uber the spellfire made her, but Ed made her incredibly vulnerable too, which didn't just balance it but made it a different sort of story. Instead of being empowered by it, she was consumed by it in the sense that it took over and irretrievably altered her life. She wasn't confident in her power; she was terrified of it; she was kinda a puppet in some ways. There's a lot of meat there to bite into, mentally.

I like stories that are bigger than the books.

Edit: I'm not sure how to reword that last sentence, so I'm leaving it, but it needs rewording. The epitome of "stories that are bigger than the books" are RSEs, and I am no fan of those. Elfshadow and Spellfire are self-contained; they don't alter the Realms. There's just more substance to them than the words on the page. They broaden one's thoughts about the Realms... they do good for the setting.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 19 Jun 2013 04:28:21
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  04:29:04  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lets stay away from talking about books we utterly hate, as per the purpose of the forums to attract author attention rather then bash them.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  07:47:23  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I love a great battle and high end magic I would have to say :

UnHoly
The FINAL Gate
Spellfire was awesome as well

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  07:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, and I'll be branded a heretic, that I haven't yet read a Realms novel that I found good. Enjoyable and fun, yes, but the writing is usually of a quality that makes it hard for me to enjoy. However, after getting bitten by the Realmslore-bug earlier this year I have enjoyed the novels more because it gives insight into the world itself which helps me color in RPGs.

All this being said, I haven't read much (yet). I tried and gave up on "The Icewind Dale Trilogy", likewise with "The Cleric Quintet" (if that's what it's called), but finished "Elfshadow", "Once Around the Realms", "Red Magic", "War in Tethyr" and "Shadowdale". Currently reading "Tantras", "Spellfire" and "Realms of Infamy" and have a few more novels bought used to read ("Cormyr: A novel", "Evermeet", "Waterdeep"). Of the books I've read so far I liked "War in Tethyr" the best, with "Shadowdale" second.

I do notice that the more I read, the easier it is to forgive the things I dislike about the writing. But so far the Realms novels are a far cry from the fantasy I adore ("A Song of Ice and Fire", "The Malazan Book of the Fallen", Joe Abercrombie) but that's perhaps an unfair comparison for various reasons.

Still, I know there are sooo many books set in the Realms that I haven't read and I am sure there will be some pleasant surprises along the way.

Edited by - Caladan Brood on 19 Jun 2013 08:01:45
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  11:27:49  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I suppose my favorite books would be the Twilight war trilogy by Paul S Kemp and Unholy by Richard Lee Byers.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  11:57:52  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm hard to say. Evermeet maybe
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  12:06:15  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadows of Doom, Elfshadow, Spellfire, The dark elf trilogy, Elminster the making of a mage, Elminster in Myth Drannor, Evermeet. These are not in any particular order. I would recommend the first three for readers trying to get a feel for the adventurer's life in the Realms.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  12:54:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I liked Crystal Shard, as the first Realms book I read, and Evermeet was a really good book, dealing with many iconic and until now undetailed stories, IMHO the best novel is Elfshadow, which had elements of action, suspense and intrigue with nice turns while presenting us with deep, well-developed characters.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  13:52:34  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Downshadow, Bloodwalk, Forsaken House, Evermeet, the Cycle of Night trilogy and the Dark Elf trilogy all need to be on my personal list of favorites.

Downshadow for its portreyal of a conflicted paladin, excellent characterisation across the whole cast of the story.

Bloodwalk had a schocking opening chapter that really paid off. The whole story got a great sense of urgency, and the combat scenes (especially the spellbattles) were a messy afair. The antogonist has a dry wit but enough grit to make him resemble heroes from old westerns.

Forsaken House has surpisingly cool lore nuggets and Evermeets portrayal of the elven gods and pacing of story was just perfect for my tastes.

The Cycle of Night trilogy opened my eyes to what high stakes high level adventuring in Faerun can be like. Excellent cast too.

The Dark Elf trilogy is just a great example of a quest for freedom. Drizzt journey to the surface is a fascinating series of events that lead to one of Torils most interesting and endearing blademasters.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  13:52:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Unholy, Book III of The Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers. It has almost everything I like about the fantasy genre.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  14:40:35  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deleted because of some weird repeat post spell.

Edited by - Arcanus on 19 Jun 2013 14:41:40
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  14:55:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, same here. It looks like Sage’s gremlins are loose again.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  16:09:57  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also say Finder's Bane, mostly cause of the location. Prince of Lies or Evermeet after that.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  17:00:54  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh gads, this is actually a pretty tough question. I've read SO many Realms novels (pretty much everything published from the OGB era until 2008 and then a few since) it is hard to pick a favorite. Some of the best are actually the short story anthologies (as they give you a little taste of everything).

If you put a gun to my head and MADE me choose, I suppose I might just say Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters . It has that episodic feel I like, takes you all over the Realms (in a logical way), involves an assortment of iconic good and bad guys, and showcases the chosen, their powers, and those little things that make the Realms the Realms to me. When I was looking to introduce my wife to the Realms it was the first book I gave her (and boy did that work, all too well in fact, Lol).

It is easier to identify my favorite authors. There I'd have to say Greenwood, Denning, Salvatore, Cunningham, and Kemp. I appreciate and enjoy several others, but those are probably my favorite bunch. It is a true shame Elaine wasn't tapped to handle a Sundering novel. I do hear good things about Erin Evans though, I will have to make a point to read one of her novels.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  20:45:25  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City of the Dead

Definately the greates FR novel ever written.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  03:43:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't narrow down any one particular Realms novel that I consider the best I've read, because that would include more than one.

But if I have to choose one, just for this moment, it would be Swords of Eveningstar by Ed Greenwood.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  04:26:40  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just ONE?
Unpossible. Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Spur, Pool of Radiance, Crown of Fire, and Servant of the Shard/The Crystal Shard for me. Of those...I couldn't chose, but maybe The Wyvern's Spur or Azure Bonds. Jeff Grubb captures the Realms the way Ed imagines it, better than every other author to me.

(Honorable mentions to Finder's Bane, Cormyr, The Ring of Winter, and Swords of Eveningstar).
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  16:26:40  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Downshadow, Bloodwalk, Forsaken House, Evermeet, the Cycle of Night trilogy and the Dark Elf trilogy all need to be on my personal list of favorites.

Downshadow for its portreyal of a conflicted paladin, excellent characterisation across the whole cast of the story.

Bloodwalk had a schocking opening chapter that really paid off. The whole story got a great sense of urgency, and the combat scenes (especially the spellbattles) were a messy afair. The antogonist has a dry wit but enough grit to make him resemble heroes from old westerns.

Forsaken House has surpisingly cool lore nuggets and Evermeets portrayal of the elven gods and pacing of story was just perfect for my tastes.

The Cycle of Night trilogy opened my eyes to what high stakes high level adventuring in Faerun can be like. Excellent cast too.

The Dark Elf trilogy is just a great example of a quest for freedom. Drizzt journey to the surface is a fascinating series of events that lead to one of Torils most interesting and endearing blademasters.

are you sure you don't mean the erevis cale trilogy.cycle of night was cancelled.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  16:56:41  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I didn't like the world changes the most interesting to read was the Lady Penitent Series. I love the rich world Lisa Smedman creates.

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 20 Jun 2013 16:57:34
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  17:37:37  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duh, I meant Kemp's Twilight War there. And indeed the Erevis Cale trilogy is just as good a read. Can't wait for Godborn to release.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  13:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go with Darkwalker on Moonshae as #1, followed closely by Azure Bonds and Canticle.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  17:06:56  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed a few nods to dark walker.is this mere nostalgia or a genuine love of the novel.it was my first read as well and although I loved it I wouldn't put it in my top 5.my top reads would be city of ravens,siege of darkness,and the Cale trilogy.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  21:51:15  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darkwalker was a decent book, I enjoyed it much more than any of its sequels. Loved the pseudo-dragon in particular! I read it a few years ago for the first time, so without nostalgia to cloud me I don' believe it's in the top of the Realms catalog personally. But it was the first ever Realms book and that counts for something, even if it wasn't meant to be set in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  21:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From 1994 (when I first discovered R.A. Salvatore) to 1997, I would have said that Starless Night wasn't just the best FR novel I'd ever read, but the best fantasy novel I'd ever read, period. Nowadays, I'm hugely impressed by Erik Scott de Bie's Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, and can't wait to read the sequel *crosses fingers*.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2013 :  22:51:13  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either Unholy or The Spectral Blaze, both by Richard Lee Byers.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000