Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Taking the predictions on Godborn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  17:42:15  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Curious about people's prediction on Godborn...

Will Mask be resurrected?

Will Vasen Cale or his father Erevis Cale replace the God of Thieves?

Will one of the two merge with Mask to become an new Mask or God of Thieves?

If Mask is resurrected will Vasen or Erevis become his new chosen?

Just some thoughts... curious about people's prediction?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  17:49:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If Paul intends to use his signature characters for long term, godhood is the least route to be taken. So no, I daresay none of Cale and company would stay as quasi-divine. The shards (including that from Rivalen) would be merged and ultimately herald the return of Mask.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  18:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rivalen will turn to the light side of the force and reject shar.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  18:42:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I doubt that. Someone who murdered his own mother without feeling even a shred of regret is hardly a candidate for the force of light.

Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  19:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stranger things have happened Dennis.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  11:56:36  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am quite confident that Mask will indeed return and Cale and company will become his new chosen.
I am sure Rivalen will lose his semi divine powers as well , he might very well betray Shar and side with Mask.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  12:30:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What’s with Rivalen? Why do many people want him to walk the path of “good”?

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  13:14:05  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well defecting to Mask doesn't mean he will become a good guy. After all Mask is an evil god.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  13:25:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, in the level of evilness, he is way tame compared to Shar.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  14:00:46  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No argument there.
After all thats why a supposedly evil god and his minions are the heroes of the story.
Still being in Mask employ means that Rivalen can continue to enjoy his evil predilections. He doesn't need to change , at the most Mask will ask him to tone down the human sacrifice thing.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  15:45:41  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

It's not that I want him to turn to good, at the very least I expect him to turn his back on Shar.
Generic D&D storyline, sigh.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  04:51:20  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, finders bane showed us you can have lots of books dealing with a quasi god.

I think MASK as MASK is gone forever. I think one of the trio will turn into a new mask ala times of troubles.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  04:53:14  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, finders bane showed us you can have lots of books dealing with a quasi god.

I think MASK as MASK is gone forever. I think one of the trio will turn into a new mask ala times of troubles.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  14:07:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

quote:

It’s not that I want him to turn to good, at the very least I expect him to turn his back on Shar.
Generic D&D storyline, sigh.
Telamont once said this line about Rivalen to Brennus: “Each day, I stand at the precipice of the void. Your brother, he would jump headfirst into it.” Or something along that vein. So I think it is important to address what really drives Rivalen’s nihilistic obsession. Did Shar “implant” such mad notion to him? Or was it simply his choice, forged after years of being in the shadows and being in constant, endless wars? If it’s the former, then what you’re expecting would be plausible as I suppose Mask, who more or less shares Shar’s power and influence, can “cure” Rivalen of it, in the condition that he turns his back on Shar and answers to him instead. However, if it’s the latter, then I don’t know what else Mask can offer Rivalen that would be of mutual interest.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  04:11:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing Mask--hopefully--again. I've been waiting for Godborn ever since I heard about it.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Alenis
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  06:38:38  Show Profile Send Alenis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine the various portions of Mask's divinity will coalesce in one way or another, & that Cale's son will be the instrument of Masks return. Whether he will take over AS Mask, like Midnight did for Mystra, or if the child was planned as a re-birth like the Bhaal-Spawn, I'm unsure.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2013 :  07:11:37  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the potential of a trinity god among all the various chosen of mask?

http://pics.novica.com/pictures/10/p158700_1.jpg

look at the image, to see how the holy symbol could look like.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  16:37:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alenis

I imagine the various portions of Mask's divinity will coalesce in one way or another, & that Cale's son will be the instrument of Masks return. Whether he will take over AS Mask, like Midnight did for Mystra, or if the child was planned as a re-birth like the Bhaal-Spawn, I'm unsure.
I’d rather that Vasen (Cale’s son), Cale himself, Riven, and Rivalen all “function” as mere receptacles of Mask’s essence and that Mask would return and take that divided essence back as himself still.

Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  18:19:54  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am expecting Mask to return and Rivalen to die. Every indication is that Sembia becomes independent again in 5e and I just don't see how that works with Rivalen alive. I would guess that Erevis Cale himself won't ascend as Mask just because he is Paul's signature character. However, I could see him ascending and Vasen become the new main character of the series. I am actually kind of surpised the Vasen is the first actual legacy character that has appeared since the time jump.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  20:16:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It would be a waste to kill off Rivalen prematurely. Having his sliver of divinity taken and returned to Mask is fine, but he has to stay alive to keep the tension among the Tanthuls (who all will eventually learn of his matricide) and to spark internal conflict.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  00:13:30  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you think the possibility they will bring mask back with a vengeance, and even have him take over parts like that drow god that got killed by elistree, and other sneak deities ?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  06:00:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps. Come to think of it, when he does return, he would have to be relatively more powerful than his former self or ally with a greater deity or two who can lend him some semblance of protection (however minor) because Shar would probably try to subsume him again.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  06:35:39  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He went back to shar due to a deal , not because he was helpless.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  06:45:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Partly true. But he is the god of deceit. He could have reneged on their deal had he had the firepower to counter Shar should she decide to implement violent means for his transgression. But he did not have that, and so he just chose the relatively safer, albeit long, path toward his survival.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  07:19:18  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmmmm.....am gonna call nay on that, he lost intrigue and lies to cyric, oh and decpection to.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  07:22:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Forget the title and portfolio. He still is wily and deceitful without it.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  07:25:29  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, all omnipotent beings are.

I am going to say, that due to his portfolio , he set it up, for where he could steal his powers back , rather then deceive.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  07:29:42  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I like how Paul is portraying Telamont's reactions to his now-godling son. Even though the Most High is technically one of the most powerful wizards on Faerun, it still is better to take precautions.

This is one of those situations where sometimes fluff trumps mechanic I suppose, because technically mechanics/gaming wise someone at Telamont's level could easily face a godling.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  16:35:13  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer
Do you think the possibility they will bring mask back with a vengeance, and even have him take over parts like that drow god that got killed by elistree, and other sneak deities ?

Hopefully, they will simply bring all the different deities back period. There is no need to merge them together, or have them steal each others abilities.

quote:
It would be a waste to kill off Rivalen prematurely. Having his sliver of divinity taken and returned to Mask is fine, but he has to stay alive to keep the tension among the Tanthuls (who all will eventually learn of his matricide) and to spark internal conflict.

It is merely a guess. However, the sample character featuring the Tanthuls already shows the internal conflict. The GenCon address thing foreshadows that Sembia is the "land of fat rich merchants". Also, the Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms book lays it on pretty thick that Shar is extremely fickle and likely to just out right abandon Shade at some point. I have the distinct feeling that the Shades are not going to make it through the sundering in good shape. I just hope that they exit the otherside of the sundering on equal footing with the other major power groups rather than getting complete erased.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000