Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Free RPG Day = Empty Keep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2013 :  20:34:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Maybe it's just me, but it seems awfully quiet around here today.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  05:55:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't go by either of my FLG stores today... They didn't do Free RPG Day last year, because it's not free for the retailer, and they weren't getting a return on their investment. So I assumed they'd do the same this year.

I did think about it, though, because I was pretty close to Dogs of War, and that one is not convenient to me -- but my son was way tired, and I was more interested in getting him home so we could both take a nap. Naps with my little guy are the best!

(He's two, in case anyone is wondering)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  07:24:36  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a Pathfinder adventure and some other random stuff, but nothing caught my eye. I'm pretty sure that Olympic Cards here got a decent indirect return; it was packed. Free stuff brings people in and increases goodwill toward the stores. I dunno, I hope they keep doing it.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  13:10:17  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son went to the local game shop, and said he'd picked up a couple of items (in a Facebook post). I didn't stir from my lair, however - I'll just hope it went over well.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  14:06:12  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing's free.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  14:50:11  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shop I went to was running Star wars Edge of the Empire and Pathfinders We be Goblins 2.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  22:10:12  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would go if I knew of it and had the gas and money for it... :(

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  23:51:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Nothing's free.

I understand that nothing is free, but since part of the point of Free RPG Day is to get people interested in other RPGs, then you'd think the publishers would make it easier on the retailers.

A lot of companies, in a lot of industries, give things away to get people's interest. That's not what happens with Free RPG Day -- the gaming companies are selling material that they want given away for free. The expectation is that people coming in for free stuff will spend money while they are there, but that isn't what's happening -- so Free RPG Day can wind up costing the retailers more than it brings in.

The brick and mortar game stores have enough trouble staying afloat as it is. Making retailers give away something they paid good money for is not something that helps the retailer.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  18:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a fun, but long, day at my FLGS. I organized four Pathfinder Society games, each run by a different member of our group. Made a couple of new friends, and got an unexpected $40 in store credit for running a table. One of the new people got to play both We Be Goblins! (the Paizo Free RPG Day offering from two years ago, run by me) and We Be Goblins Too! (this year's Paizo Free RPG Day offering, run by my wife).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  20:33:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, Hawkins! Definitely sounds long, and fun. Store credit is a nice reward, too.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  16:14:41  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd not call my local store friendly.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  17:47:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

I'd not call my local store friendly.

There used to be a comics/gaming store in this area that was like that... The guy that ran it acted like customers were there for him, not for his services/products.

That place closed down long ago, not long after a better comic/game store opened up. Now we have two stores that specialize in gaming, and another that specializes in comics and is co-located with a game store that focuses more on RPGs and boardgames, and less on minis gaming. The two game stores focus on minis gaming first, and RPGs second.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  22:33:16  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In our store they acted as if it was their basement and every customer was a thief, tough some people did steal. This was when we were kids, before they started selling online.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000