Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Definition of Canon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  20:00:06  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so from various sources, I have gathered that the following sources are considered canon: Published sourcebooks, online articles, Dragon/Dungeon/Polyhedron articles, novels/novellas/shortstories, comic books, and online sources from WotC and Ed.

Here are my two canon questions:
1) In the comic "Forgotten Realms: The Grand Tour", published in 1996 by TSR and written by Jeff Grubb, Elminster takes Presto from the Animated Series on a tour of the Realms. Technically, he takes someone named Preston on the tour, but, looking at his companions and how he changes from saying "Presto" to "Preston", I assume this is just a way to avoid problems with whatever corporation owned the rights to the Animated Series at this time. Anyway, does this imply that the Animated Series took place in the Realms?

2) In the early 1990s, TSR released several trading card sets with NPCs, monsters, items, and locations. Would the Al-Qadim/Kara-Tur/Forgotten Realms/Spelljammer (ones that note "Realmsspace") cards be considered canon as well?

Any information would be of great help. I am working on a VERY comprehensive NPC pdf, updating everyone who wasn't to 3.5, incorporating the forum here, and the old forums at WotC boards as well. I would like to add in any that are canon that were not done there, for an endless supply of ready NPCs.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  21:01:43  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last official word I noticed on the subject was from Jim Butler in March of 2000. Vaguely, anything with the FR logo on it is canon, especially if it's after 2000.

But they may have changed the policy since then.
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  21:09:09  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

The last official word I noticed on the subject was from Jim Butler in March of 2000. Vaguely, anything with the FR logo on it is canon, especially if it's after 2000.

But they may have changed the policy since then.

The most recent stuff I saw was from mid-2000's, Ed says "any published source", while Richard Baker dismisses video games (which makes sense). So going by those, plus your link, which mainly refers to the RPGA, then both of the above, the cards and the comic involving the animated series cast, should be canon then I am assuming.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2013 :  13:02:30  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joebing, some sages discussed this trading cards canon issue in this thread.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2013 :  18:11:35  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Joebing, some sages discussed this trading cards canon issue in this thread.

Thanks for the link Barastir!

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2013 :  14:55:17  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The comic books are canon. The characters appear in several other sources. Not sure about the cards.

Not everything with the FR logo on it is canon but it probably is (minus the VGs) after 2000.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000