Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cover of Old Gray Box
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  03:18:11  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know who is the rider on cover of the Old Gray Box? He also appears in the Forgotten Realms 4th Edition.

Thanks!

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  04:15:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Old Grey Box" FR0 cover art (here or here) by Keith Parkinson is titled Horseman Near Lake. I'm unaware of any canon use of this character, although searching for "Realms Trading Card 1113" shows a small image of a card with this horseman, along with a text line I'm unable to read. This iconic art piece is also reused on assorted other FR-branded Wizbro products (such as a jigsaw puzzle).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  05:11:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen him called Dûd Onahorz, though that name is obviously not canon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  05:44:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect that trading card probably names the character and has some fluff text on the reverse.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  05:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The horseman's official name is "Thunderstorm", a name given to him in an old AD&D miniatures set from the 2nd-Edition time period. I always misremember it as "Thunderstaff" but that's probably because I think thunderstorm is too mundane a name.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  05:53:01  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The card was something like "Thunderstone" or "Thunderstorm". I recall Markus was involved in the discussion of the Wizards board that came up with the Dûd Onahorz 'name'.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  06:39:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Richter Thunderstaff ... always a favourite PC in my gaming group, at least until he starts with the wild magic.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  09:48:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik
(...) I'm unaware of any canon use of this character, although searching for "Realms Trading Card 1113" shows a small image of a card with this horseman, along with a text line I'm unable to read. (...)

This Trading Card is part of which year's collection? I have three of them (91, 92 and 93), and could check on them. Even if the trading cards have some canon-troublesome characters - like Frizzt Bo'Urden, an evil cousin of Drizzt, an inexperient drow mage that received from his most famous cousin some magical items not expected to be in the hands of a low-level NPC.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  14:17:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought the rider on the box cover was a Tuigan

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  14:32:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

The card was something like "Thunderstone" or "Thunderstorm". I recall Markus was involved in the discussion of the Wizards board that came up with the Dûd Onahorz 'name'.
Yup.

'Thunderstorm' was his tribal (Nar) name. After his family was killed by Vampires, he became a vamp-hunter. Almost everyone thought he died in the same tragedy that wiped-out his town, but he managed to survive, and became a Vigalante of sorts, seeking-out and destroying nests of undead (and other evils, after awhile). Folks he helped did not know his real name, and he just became known as Dûd Onahorz. My concept for him was basically a Realms version of the Lone Ranger (and damn you Johnny Depp for looking through my notes once again!)

I even (later) mused upon what happened to him in 4e. He had gotten a female Shaaran companion (who, for a time, tempered his maudlin personality) - one who he 'rescued' after she was turned into a werewolf (so yeah, the joke was that at times she could be a real b***h). She was killed when the spellplague struck, while they were battling a lich (the culmination of a very long series of adventures which lead to ever-higher forms of undead 'behind the curtain').

The Cerulean wave passed over him just as he struck the lich the final blow - and all that negative energy was transferred to him. Now he is a barely-sane half-dead who has taken his 'cause' to extreme levels (so in some ways the lone ranger has morphed into Blade). His single-minded quest to rid the world of all undead has made him extremely bitter, having lost many friends along the way, and he has become something of a legend in the Realms - one most folk fear (because he lets nothing and no-one stand in his way).

And that is my take on him to date. All homebrew, of course... YMMV.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jan 2013 14:35:56
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  15:59:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barastir - I really know nothing about trading cards, I've never played or collected any trading card games in my life (unless you count the original 1982 Illuminati "board" game). I found a small (illegible) photo of this card through a google image search for "Forgotten Realms Trading Card 1113". Now I am interested in knowing whatever "canon" data is printed on the obverse side of this Thunderstorm card.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  16:54:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Barastir - I really know nothing about trading cards, I've never played or collected any trading card games in my life (unless you count the original 1982 Illuminati "board" game). I found a small (illegible) photo of this card through a google image search for "Forgotten Realms Trading Card 1113". Now I am interested in knowing whatever "canon" data is printed on the obverse side of this Thunderstorm card.

TSR did 3 or 4 series of trading cards, back in the 90s. They did them one set per year. I think it was a couple years before the Magic craze.

They were sold in individual packs, but also in complete sets.

Most of the cards were rather generic, with the presented info. And there was a lot of recycled artwork, even among the cards.

The second and third sets had some previously unseen artwork -- but the quality of that artwork was lousy. A lot of it was just some random figure on a plain white background. It was far worse than the recycled art!

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  18:22:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

The horseman's official name is "Thunderstorm", a name given to him in an old AD&D miniatures set from the 2nd-Edition time period. I always misremember it as "Thunderstaff" but that's probably because I think thunderstorm is too mundane a name.

"Thunderstorm" really sounds more like what you'd call his horse.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  19:09:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah... his horse is named 'Wind'.

Thundestorms always ride on the wind.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  20:01:24  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to dig my trading cards out, but I believe Thunderstorm's a level 15 fighter in 2E terms if memory serves me correct. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  20:17:08  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if anyone is listening. Let's see a new set of trading cards come out! Not sure how anyone else used them, but they are an awesome NPC resource to have handy. Stats, level, gear, and a small blurb all in one little spot. And Wooly is right, the art in the second and third sets weren't the greatest.

It would be kind of cool to have an NPC pack for the Realms designed. Cards of merchants and their goods, zhentarim, red wizards, harpers, goblin-kind etc would be awesome. I'd throw in a bunch of unique, not heard before dungeon names too with small blurbs about them. Would be handy little adventure hooks.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  20:57:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

And if anyone is listening. Let's see a new set of trading cards come out! Not sure how anyone else used them, but they are an awesome NPC resource to have handy. Stats, level, gear, and a small blurb all in one little spot. And Wooly is right, the art in the second and third sets weren't the greatest.

It would be kind of cool to have an NPC pack for the Realms designed. Cards of merchants and their goods, zhentarim, red wizards, harpers, goblin-kind etc would be awesome. I'd throw in a bunch of unique, not heard before dungeon names too with small blurbs about them. Would be handy little adventure hooks.

I'd rather something more like Masks: 1,000 Memorable NPCs for Any Roleplaying Game. It's not the best NPC resource I've seen, but it is one of the better ones. More artwork would be good...

The book isn't for any specific RPG, so there are no stats or anything. I'm more into character concepts, so I like that, but that's not everyone's gig.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  23:51:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this Thunderstorm is related to High Morninglord Rewel Thunderstorm of Lathander's Morningdawn Hall in Shadowdale (2E FRA).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  01:17:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder if this Thunderstorm is related to High Morninglord Rewel Thunderstorm of Lathander's Morningdawn Hall in Shadowdale (2E FRA).

I've wondered the same myself. Especially since we have the "dark and mysterious" Thunderstorm on the cover of the Old Gray Box and then a highly placed devotee of the Morninglord in Shadowdale.

Seems like quite an interesting contrast.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  09:52:41  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I have it at home. I'll check it out tonight - yesterday night I could not do it -, and if I really have it I'll type here all the info in the card's back.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  20:22:23  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thunderstorm
15th-level Warrior

RACE: Human
ARMOR CLASS: 6
THAC0: 6
MOVEMENT: 12
HIT POINTS: 131
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Neutral
EQUIPMENT: shield, girdle of stone giant strength, javelin of lightning, long sword +3
BACKGROUND: Thunderstorm's Dexterity (17) gives him an Armor Class bonus. He is a nomad mercenary who wanders the Forgotten Realms in search of battles to be waged and rewards to be reaped. He is a successful warrior, and has seen many battles. He was orphaned as a young boy and has been on his own since he was a teen.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  20:41:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only AC6 (Dex + shield), for real? No wonder the guy has such a tremendous HP total for a 2E character.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  02:15:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Thunderstorm
15th-level Warrior

RACE: Human
ARMOR CLASS: 6
THAC0: 6
MOVEMENT: 12
HIT POINTS: 131
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Neutral
EQUIPMENT: shield, girdle of stone giant strength, javelin of lightning, long sword +3
BACKGROUND: Thunderstorm's Dexterity (17) gives him an Armor Class bonus. He is a nomad mercenary who wanders the Forgotten Realms in search of battles to be waged and rewards to be reaped. He is a successful warrior, and has seen many battles. He was orphaned as a young boy and has been on his own since he was a teen.

Okay, so he's not of the Shadowdale Thunderstorms.

It's quite possible that "Thunderstorm" isn't even his real name. It could just be a violent descriptor he's adopted as his life has dictated.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  02:41:21  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude is 15th level and couldn't even spare the coin for regular armor. Surprised the guy survived to 4E; he does appear in artwork in the FRCG, so he must have made it through the century somehow. Maybe he's a compulsive gambler, forever putting up his gear as collateral.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  09:33:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, with a girdle of giant strength and a +3 blade, he probably defeated his enemies before they inflicted serious damage... And maybe his culture has something that prevented him from using more than a shield and his Dexterity. Or they made the card based on the picture, and since he is not on a plate, they made him a bit different from standard armored characters, and gave him a lot of Hit Points for a 2er to compensate it.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  15:02:13  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused. I never imagined that an NPC with many illustrations were so obscure. Does any author can help us?
What is the place he (Thunderstorm) is? I thought it was the Old Skull in Shadowdale.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  15:26:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He isn't anybody - its just a piece of art (that someone at TSR liked and slapped on the OGB). I think you may be reading too much into it.

'He' doesn't appear on several products because he is an interesting NPC, he appears on them because he is a great piece of artwork. What little is written about him on the cards was just some crappy blurb that they stuck on the card because they had to write something. Thats all there is.

Frizzt Bo'Urden? SERIOUSLY?

Just WOW...

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jan 2013 15:27:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  15:38:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodrigoalcanza

I'm confused. I never imagined that an NPC with many illustrations were so obscure. Does any author can help us?
What is the place he (Thunderstorm) is? I thought it was the Old Skull in Shadowdale.

I think the issue is that it was a random bit of artwork, and TSR was just recycling it. I'm pretty sure that before that set of cards was released, there was no NPC named Thunderstorm. But they were looking to fill up cards, grabbed a handy bit of artwork, and slapped a name and stats on it.

Another good example of this is the carcavulp. This critter originated in a bit of Larry Elmore artwork. I'd not even seen that artwork before seeing it on the TSR trading card...

The description of the critter said it was a cross between a wolverine (carcajou, in one of the native tongues) and a fox (canis vulpes). So far as I know, this critter was never described -- or even mentioned! -- in any other TSR product. It was, in essence, filler material. Which is a shame, because it's a neat idea for a critter!

Anyway, it's things like that that make me thing the Thunderstorm NPC was simply filler. There's nothing preventing anyone from running with the provided stats; it's just that there is nothing else to work with for this NPC.

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  17:48:06  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

He isn't anybody - its just a piece of art (that someone at TSR liked and slapped on the OGB). I think you may be reading too much into it.

Nope. Thunderstorm is a canon personage of the Forgotten Realms, a storied warrior whose songs have yet to be sung.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  18:09:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly certain the D&D cards are NOT canon to the Forgotten Realms.

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  18:17:48  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm fairly certain the D&D cards are NOT canon to the Forgotten Realms.

But I thought that the definition of Forgotten Realms canon, as adopted by the Scribes of Candlekeep, under the aegis of the Keeper of Tomes and administrated by the First Reader, was:

"those scrolls and tomes of lore published by the intellectual property holder of the 'Forgotten Realms' that bear the 'Forgotten Realms' logo"...

Did it change again?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000