Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Lore and Politics of the Sundering (FR 5E)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  02:19:46  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drkissinger1

Beautifully done original post. I had a bit of a hiatus from FR and D&D in general for the past year or so in anticipation of the new edition, so I had no idea what had been going on in the transition from 4E to 5E. I do have a question, though: FR seems to be the default setting for 5E, at least as far as I can tell from the player's handbook. Are we still expecting a dedicated FR campaign setting sourcebook?

I'm mostly very excited about the Sundering; I just hope that a lot of these changes/restorations will be made somewhat elegantly. While Helm's death seemed rather pointless and only subtracted from the world (my guess is it was a concession to 4E's trimmed-down alignments), I kind of liked the idea of Amaunator being reborn from Lathander as a kind of chrysalis. The idea of an established church having to cope with the transformation of its god gave me some neat story hooks. That said, I don't mind Lathander's return; I just hope it can be given more dramatic weight than a divine mulligan.

EDIT: And what's this about a destroyed Netheril? Was this from one of the Sundering novels or an interview?

Thanks. The original post was made before any of the Sundering novels came out. To answer your final question, Netheril was... erm... I don't know if I'd use the word "destroyed". However, I would say that it no longer really exists in it's old form as the Shade Enclave was destroyed and Telamont Tanthul is dead. This took place in Ed Greenwood's novel called the Herald, the last of the Sundering novels.

A lot of old deities have returned some of which are Bane, Myrkul, and Helm - just to name a few. It seems like pretty much every deity that existed at the start of 1E is probably back by this point.

Honestly, we aren't sure how everything is shaking out in divine politics as a result. However, we do know that an FRCS will be coming out sometime in the future. There is no scheduled date for release, and it will be sometime after the DMG. We're likely looking at the end of 2015 or the start of 2016 is my guess.

FR is not the core setting of 5E D&D, though it is heavily referenced. Play in the setting seems to be highly encouraged, which is a good thing.

I also enjoyed what was taking place with Lathander's church. In my Realms the two cults remained divided, with each side seeing the other as heretics. (I even had the Amaunatori split into multiple factions.) I would recommend doing something similar in your Realms, and allowing both to exist simultaneously.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000