Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Menzoberranzan Box Set Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arjunan Zaulyl
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  17:54:55  Show Profile Send Arjunan Zaulyl a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am currently using this old box set as the basis of a first level adventure. Its going fairly well so far. I am thinking that for the house battle at the end it would be cool to use miniatures to play it out. The only problem is that I have never done that before. I don't know the first thing about miniature battles. I guess what I am looking for is advice on the entire adventure and on the final house battle. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  21:21:09  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a Battle System boxed set from 1E that might be helpful, but I've never used it, so I'm not sure. The problem is that it's out of print. It can be downloaded online, but that might be a copyright violation.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  22:00:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well was hoping that someone that use minis would have answered by now. I do not though have followed discussions about their use.

Clearly they are a tool that helps to visual what the PCs see, also when they might see them.

You need a battle map girded off, most are square box gird, though some are hex gird as well. You of course need tokens if not enough minis available.

The battle map is used just the same way mapping works, just the minis are moved when the caller states party action. The DM of course moves the NPCs during his reaction. The players get to see how close all visible foes are, know the range and so on. NPCs hidden by walls closed doors and otherwise not in sight do not get placed on the battle mat until seen or detected.

I would not advise your first use of minis be for a battle as that is often fast paced combat. You should IMO test out how well you and your players adjust to minis by simple encounters, maybe random monster encounter of four goblins or even safer a tavern visit where no conflict is likely.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2013 :  03:14:01  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if you don't have the miniatures themselves, you can always just use players' dice for their characters. Even if you don't have grid battle maps, loose drawings on large sheets of paper work!

As long as you have good communication, and good understanding back and forth about what is happening to both parties (PCs and NPC enemies), everything flows just fine.

Besides, if it is the first time, you can just play fast and loose with distances and some movement.

I honestly can't imagine playing without a battle map anymore. For me, it's the only way to go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000