Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Homebrew Paladin oath for D&D:Next, the Justicar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2013 :  04:58:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Oath of the Justicar
Sometimes referred to as the Gray Knight or Gray Guard, a Justicar is the embodiment of law and order. They are not swayed by the moral principles of what society deems good or evil as there is only law and people of both ilk can break it. Justicars are the arbiters of edicts between the people and the bureaucracy that strive to maintain order in a chaotic world.

Alignment (Optional): You must be lawful neutral.
Channel Divinity: You gain the Brand of Justice (see below), Divine Smite, and Turn Undead options.
Justicar Spells: Add the following spells to your spell list.

Spell
Level		Domain Spell
1		Cause Fear
2		Hold Person
3		Speak with Dead
4		Freedom of Movement
5		True Seeing

Brand of Justice
When you hit a creature with a melee attack using a weapon with which you have proficiency, you can expend the use of your Channel Divinity to brand your enemies. When you do, each creature you choose within 10 ft. of you must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC equals your spell save DC). Creatures that fail the save only deal half damage with any successful weapon-based attack they make. In addition, they cannot move more than 10 ft. away from you for 1 minute. On its turn a branded creature can use its action to make a Wisdom check (DC equals your spell save DC) to end the effects.

Level 8: Mount:

Benefit: You can call a special mount, the form of which depends on your oath. A Justicar calls a Great Hound to his service. This beast often takes the form of a domesticated dog such as a Mastiff, Rottweiler, or even a Shepard. You have an empathic link with your mount and can sense the direction and distance to it, provided that both of you are on the same plane. You can telepathically communicate simple concepts and ideas to your mount, which can return thoughts through the same link. While you are riding your mount, attack rolls against it have disadvantage. If your mount is killed, you must call another one.

Great Hound
Large Beast
Armor Class 16 (scale barding)
Hit Points 60 (8d10 + 16); resistance to damage from non-magical weapons
Speed 60 ft.
Str 17 (+3) Dex 14 (+2) Con 14 (+2)
Int 10 (+0) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 10 (+0)
Alignment lawful neutral
Languages —

TRAITS
Keen Senses: The great hound gains a +5 bonus to all checks to detect hidden creatures.

Magic Resistance: The great hound has advantage on saving throws against magical effects.

Enduring Pursuit: A great hound can move triple its speed while hustling.

ACTONS
Multiattack: The great hound makes two bite attacks.

Melee Attack—Bite: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage. If the attack deals maximum damage, the great hound also knocks the target prone.

ENCOUNTER BUILDING
Level 6 XP 875

Ok, first let me say that I created this, the features described, and the mount completely from scratch using only the very basics of their models. As such it is mine and not under copyright. Further, I did not include any other description that was not mine (Divine Smite, Channel Divinity, etc.) and if you care to figure out what these do, by all means go and download the free Playtest to plug this option in.

For those who've read the newest packed (03/20/13) please feel free and let me know how you like it. The spells I picked were so that a Justicar/Police style character could catch and contain criminals plus interrogate them as need be. They get spells like Speak with Dead to better understand a crime scene with slain victims and use detect spells like True Seeing to pierce magical disguises and illusions.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000