Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Sentinel Duskblade substitution level v3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  04:32:51  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all,

Well I've been toying with substitution levels of varying classes for v3.5 and I remembered a threat about Bladesingers. Erik was kind enough to post a link to substitution levels allowing Duskblades (Player's Handbook II) to swap features for a more "Bladesinger" style. It was, and still is, my favorite rendition of the elven gish concept Bladesinger for v3.5. With that being said, I've gotten back into Star Wars and have this overwhelming desire to have a jedi-like class for v3.5.

Now, an easy task would be to just "port" over the Jedi classes from Star Wars: SAGA and convert some of the wobbly bits, but that's not really what I'm after. I'm after the concept of Jedi, a force/magic using crusader that proliferates the arcane to make the world better for everyone. In this cause, they often avert and combat evil in many of it's incarnations, most notably those who delve into the Shadow Weave. So what I did was base this varient of the Duskblade on a Jedi-like approach of "force powers ala spells" and swapping them out for Necromancy-schooled spell (because that leads to the dark side). I then used the Bladesinger varient as a template for what to swap out and how to reflavor the mechanics as such. Here's what I got:

SENTINEL DUSKBLADE

Hit Die: d8
Requirements
To take a Sentinel duskblade substitution level, a character must be from Evermeet, Halruaa, Nimbral, Thay, the Wizard’s Reach, Silverymoon, or Shadovar; have a non-evil alignment and about to take his or her 1st, 4th, or 7th level of duskblade.

Class Skills
Sentinel duskblades are fierce combatants and study all forms of magic and weaponry, but they spend less time in study than other fellow duskblades.
Sentinel duskblade substitution levels have the class skills of the standard duskblade class, minus all Knowledge skills except, Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (nature) and Decipher Script. They gain Balance (Dex), Escape Artist (Dex), and Survival (Wis). Once a character takes a sentinel duskblade substitution level, these changes apply to each subsequent duskblade level.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier (or four times this number as a 1st-level character).

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Sentinel duskblade substitution levels.

Sentinel Spells: A sentinel duskblade adds the following spells to their duskblade spell list (see page 24 of the Player’s Handbook II): 0—electric jolt and mage hand; 1st—force lightning (see below), charm person, mage hand [greater], shield; 2nd—blast of force, levitate, whirling blade; 3rd—displacement, heroism, weapon of energy; 4th—charm monster, haste, orb of force; 5th—hold monster, telekinesis.

A sentinel duskblade removes all necromancy and fear spells from their spell list for fear of being lured into evil, including 0—disrupt undead, touch of fatigue; 1st—blade of blood, cause fear, chill touch, ray of enfeeblement; 2nd—ghoul touch; 3rd—doom scarabs, ray of exhaustion, vampiric touch; 4th—enervation, phantasmal killer; 5th—waves of fatigue.

Sentinel Stance (Ex): When wielding a one-handed weapon in one hand (and nothing in the other), a sentinel duskblade raises an aegis around himself, gaining a dodge bonus to Armor class equal to his class level, up to a maximum of his Intelligence bonus. If (s)he wears medium or heavy armor, or carries a shield, (s)he loses all benefits of the Sentinel Stance.
This substitution feature replaces the standard duskblade’s proficiency with medium armor, heavy armor, and shields (as well as armored mage benefits with light shields).

Cognitive Reflexes (Ex): A sentinel duskblade uses the Good base save bonus progression for Reflex saves and poor base save bonus progression for Fortitude saves. This change applies to every duskblade level the character takes thereafter. (In effect, switch the Fortitude Save and Reflex Save bonuses listed at any and all duskblade levels the character takes.)

The Power Within (Ex): A sentinel duskblade feels the magic flowing through him and does not waste time with such things as reagents and material components that other spellcasters work with. You gain the Eschew Materials feat as a Bonus feat and increase the cost to 10gp before you’re required to use a material component.
This substitution feature replaces the standard duskblade’s armored mage (medium) class feature.

Arcane Shift (Ex): A sentinel is in constant contact with magic and harnesses its power for bursts of speed at the most appropriate time. As such, increase your base speed 10 feet and whenever you take a 5-ft step you may take 10-ft instead and not provoke an attack of opportunity. Additionally, you can use this burst of magical speed to increase your Bull Rush attacks, giving you a +5 bonus to any checks you make in performing a Bull Rush or use it when free floating to push yourself into another direction.
This substitution feature replaces the standard duskblade’s armored mage (heavy shield) class feature.

Level       Fort    Ref     Special
1            +0     +2      Arcane attunement, armored mage (light), cognitive reflexes,
                            sentinel spells, sentinel stance
4            +1     +4      The Power Within
7            +2     +5      Arcane Shift 

NEW SPELLS

Force Lightning
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Hexblade 1, Sentinel Duskblade 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 15 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

A cone of highly charged electricity leaps from your fingertips. Any creature in the area of the lightning takes 1d4 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 5d4). Creatures wearing metal (such as a suit of metal armor) or constructs roll two Reflex saving throws and take the worse of the two results.

Edited by - Diffan on 22 Feb 2013 02:48:30

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  05:35:17  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it's been about 2 weeks and I see it got a few views. Whats the general impression of the substitutions I put in place? Any suggestions, criticisms, or just opinions on the thematic nature?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  21:00:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, figured I'd create a "sample" character with a few of the substitution levels for fun. For those who want a semi-jedi like character in their Realms, here ya go!

TYRUS LEXAAR; CR 3
Male Netherese human sentinel duskblade 3
LG Medium humanoid
Init +2; Senses Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages Common, Draconic, Elven, Netherese

AC 20, touch 15, flat-footed 15; Dodge
(+5 armor, +2 Dex, +2 class)
hp 19 (3 HD)
Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +5 (+7 against illusions)

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee mwk darksteel longsword +8 (1d8+3 plus 1 electricity/19-20) or
Melee unarmed strike +6 (1d3+3/x2)
Ranged light crossbow +5 (1d8/19-20)
Base Atk +3; Grp +6
Atk Options Deflect Arrows, arcane channeling
Combat gear 2 thunderstones, 2 tanglefoot bags, 1 acid flask

Sentinel Spells Known (CL 3rd):
1st (5/day)—Bigby’s tripping hand (+8 trip), resist energy, shocking grasp (+5 melee touch), swift expeditious retreat
0 (5/day)—daze (DC 12), electric jolt (+5 ranged touch), mage hand, ray of frost (+5 ranged touch)
Spell-like Abilities (CL 3rd):
5/day—dancing lights, detect magic, flare (DC 12), ghost sound, read magic

Abilities Str 16, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 8
SQ armored mage (light), cognitive reflexes, sentinel stance
Feats Combat Casting, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Eschew Materials, Improved Unarmed Strike, Spellwise, Weapon Focus (longsword)
Skills Balance +5, Climb +7, Concentration +7 (+12 casting defensively), Craft (weapons) +4, Jump +5, Knowledge (arcana) +6, Ride +2, Sense Motive +4, Spellcraft +10, Survival +4, Swim +1, Tumble +5
Flaw Qualm: Code of Arms (You hesitate when attacking unarmed opponents. You suffer a -4 attack penalty on melee attack rolls made against an enemy not armed with a melee weapon. If the enemy uses a natural attack against you, you may then attack it without penalty.)
Possessions combat gear plus Darkstar (masterwork darksteel longsword), light crossbow with 20 bolts, dagger, adventuring gear, climbers kit, Sentinel Outfit (cloak of resistance +1)

Sources Used: Player's Handbook (skills, feats, equipment, and spells), Player's Handbook 2 (class and spells), Magic of Faerûn (darksteel properties), Player's Guide to Faerûn (for Regional feat), Roleplay Nexus for the Flaw.

Notes:
  • 32-point buy as is standard in E6 games. One could easily just reroll/point-buy different stats and change the modifiers though.

• HP start at Max, then took average every level after

• Took a flaw to gain an additional feat. Removing the flaw also removes the Dodge feat

• Received a free Regional feat: Spellwise. If removed, take 2 points from Spellcraft checks and eliminate the resistance vs. Illusions).

• Edited by - Diffan on 17 Mar 2013 14:31:59
    Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
    Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
    1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  18:17:54  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Trying to spot anything unbalanced, but failing to find anything worth mentioning. Good job.

If you wan't to up the jedi-ness I'd limit the sentinal in choosing spells that are more 'dark side' themed, like force lightning, chain lightning, disintegtrate and fire bolt, channeled pyro burst, melfs acid arrow, scorching ray and seeking ray. Then I'd add daze, daze monster, detect thoughts, clairvoyance, see invisibility, suggestion, the series of whelm spells with overwhelm (PH2) cast as a level 5 spell, sending, freedom of movement, true seeing and mass suggestion cast as a level 5 spell.

Love the 'double jump' ability arcane shift. Its awesome to visualise.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
    Go to Top of Page

Diffan
    Great Reader

USA
    4430 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  22:23:18  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bladewind

Trying to spot anything unbalanced, but failing to find anything worth mentioning. Good job.

Thanks!

quote:

If you want to up the jedi-ness I'd limit the sentinal in choosing spells that are more 'dark side' themed, like force lightning, chain lightning, disintegtrate and fire bolt, channeled pyro burst, melfs acid arrow, scorching ray and seeking ray. Then I'd add daze, daze monster, detect thoughts, clairvoyance, see invisibility, suggestion, the series of whelm spells with overwhelm (PH2) cast as a level 5 spell, sending, freedom of movement, true seeing and mass suggestion cast as a level 5 spell.

I think that's a great way to make a sort of 'Sith' Duskblade, by putting more emphasis on offensive spells and perhaps even keeping the Necromancy spells too. Ultimately, changing up the spell list is the most significant way to change the flavor of the class that doesn't mess with the mechanics too much.

quote:

Love the 'double jump' ability arcane shift. Its awesome to visualise.

Thanks! I pretty much just took the ability straight from The Force Unleashed video game. It has some pretty visually cool effects in the game that made me think "How awesome would this be in a TTRPG?!"
    Go to Top of Page

Kno
    Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  12:05:46  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    You'll need to include abilities enhanced by emotions if you want a sith.

z455t
    Go to Top of Page

Diffan
    Great Reader

USA
    4430 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  14:27:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kno

You'll need to include abilities enhanced by emotions if you want a sith.

Hmmm......while I think that's more of a flavor/role play element and not really a mechanical one, I'm open to ideas as to facilitate it through the rules.
    Go to Top of Page

Kno
    Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  15:42:59  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Something like barbarian rage powers from Pathfinder, I don't know, Diruptive, Raging Leaper, or Hurling as a telekinetic maneuver.

z455t
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000