Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Road of the Patriarch: Thoughts? Spoilers be here!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  04:43:55  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just finished this...I found it quite different from Salvatore's usual offerings. I liked the focus more on plots than action, for one thing. I think this could've been two books, easily: the fallout in the Bloodstone Lands and Entreri's return to Calimport.

With that said, I loved the story. The priest of Selune was a great villain. Despicable, utterly pathetic, yet all powerful in the eyes of the lower class people of Calimport.

I hope Salvatore revists Bregan Daerthe's connections in the Bloodstone Lands. I would like to see more of this region its characters.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  05:24:49  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still hate the ending. The trip to...Calimport? I thought he went back to Memnon....anyway...still feels tacked on at the end (maybe like you said, as two books this would have worked better. But I think the end part would have had to be more fleshed out somehow to really pull it off and stand up to the first half, never mind other books) to me.

Otherwise, I loved the entire trilogy. And there was more angsty story stuff than combat, which I had no problem with. I had no issue with brooding and angsty Entreri.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  13:18:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a fun trilogy that really fleshed out Entreri and Jarlaxle as important characters in their own right though as Yoss mentioned the ending was less than stellar and kind of went in the face of the story so far.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  19:40:17  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

I still hate the ending. The trip to...Calimport?

Yes, what about it? That was his plan and intention, to start a new life, hopefully with Dwahvel.

And to get away from Jarlaxle and his machinations.

quote:
I thought he went back to Memnon....

He did, with Jarlaxle's and the flute's prodding, to confront his demons.

But after having done that, being made to feel lousy because of the realization of all the crap from his past that he had repressed, Artemis then wanted to get the hell out of there.

quote:
anyway...still feels tacked on at the end (maybe like you said, as two books this would have worked better. But I think the end part would have had to be more fleshed out somehow to really pull it off and stand up to the first half, never mind other books) to me.

Bob has a tendency to like ending his books in a lurch, whether in the form of a cliffhanger to leave you wanting more for the next book, or just in an odd way that makes you go, "WTF?" He seems to like placing his story climax right at the end, with little or no denouement. Climax=conclusion, a lot of the time.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000