Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Trekking through the UD from Felbarr to Menzo...??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  06:09:51  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've never run an UD adventure. My players are about to enter the Underdark through a tunnel near Citadel Felbarr and need to adventure over to Menzoberranzan. I imagine I'll run it similar to a Dungeon Crawl, just a little more open. However, it seems like a strenuous task and I'm not sure I'll pull it off well!

How do you map something so massive? Are there good module examples that feature this sort of thing? How do I keep it interesting along the way?

They need to get to Menzo because they've realized that drow from that city have been taking slaves from the surface and are planning some sort of attack against Mithril Hall. They are going to Menzo to stop it at it's source. I'd like to throw some sort of twist in though, preferably with Jarlaxle and some politics.

Thanks!

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  07:26:03  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Ozreth - You are in luck! I've spent the better part of the last year running an adventure in the same area of the Northdark you are working with involving the Drow attack on Blingdenstone in 1371. It has had quite a lot of twists and turns and even features the involvement of Jarlaxle and Bregan D'aerthe. I can't go into too much detail out here in the open here (it's not quite over yet and there are players about...), but I'm happy to share some details with you if you send me a PM (as well as answering what I can here).

A couple of initial questions. What rules system are you running? What year (DR) are you operating in?

Two things you definitely want to look at to start are:

1) The Underdark 3E Forgotten Realms accessory - http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Underdark_(sourcebook). It is a great source of maps, lore, and encounter tables.

and

2) The locations flow chart map from a user mod video game site I simply cannot seem to find at the moment. When I do I'll post a link. It basically has a nice 'so you want to go from point A to point B, here's what you have to pass through' map of the Northdark.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  07:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, sending you a PM. Thanks!

I'm playing just after time of troubles but not sticking too much to time period cannon. Rules are 3.5.

Anybody else know the flow chart he is referencing? Sounds useful!

Edited by - Ozreth on 01 Mar 2013 09:43:25
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  20:00:17  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In <this scroll>, I tried to list all the highlights of details that we've been given about the physical structure of Citadel Felbarr.

Citadel Felbarr has an Underdark route westward to Mithral Hall. And Mithral Hall has an Underdark route to Blingdenstone, which then goes on to Menzoberranzan.

Perhaps Felbarrans travel west to the Hall first, and then to Blingdenstone, and then finally further down to Menzo? That might give you a good reason to visit Clan Battlehammer and the Hall, and then to the svirfneblin, first, on your way.

Now, if you're planning on running your adventure back around the time of TOT, Citadel Felbarr was still known as the Citadel of Many-Arrows and under orc control, then. The tunnel between the two fortresses was in a state of disrepair and disuse.

So traveling to Mithral Hall from the Citadel would be a very difficult trip. But it would not be impossible.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 01 Mar 2013 20:14:36
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  20:18:33  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@BEAST - I'm glad you are on board for this scroll, you are my go to regional expert. Ozreth, you couldn't be in better hands. Lol.

In order to help with the politics, I'd have to ask some background questions. First and foremost, I'd want to know what your plan was behind the Drow attack on Mithral Hall. Raid? Full assault? I know you said you aren't wedded to the canon, but in your world would this be their first attack on the Hall or some sort of follow on attack years later? If you just wanted to make things simple on yourself you COULD just simulate the events of Siege of Darkness (with your PCs characters operating in the background). That takes place right after the Time of Troubles.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  20:59:10  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

@BEAST - I'm glad you are on board for this scroll, you are my go to regional expert. Ozreth, you couldn't be in better hands. Lol.

Aw, shucks! Thanks, man!

quote:
In order to help with the politics, I'd have to ask some background questions. First and foremost, I'd want to know what your plan was behind the Drow attack on Mithral Hall. Raid? Full assault? I know you said you aren't wedded to the canon, but in your world would this be their first attack on the Hall or some sort of follow on attack years later? If you just wanted to make things simple on yourself you COULD just simulate the events of Siege of Darkness (with your PCs characters operating in the background). That takes place right after the Time of Troubles.

Yeah, I didn't fully read the first post when I initially replied. Sorry about that.

Kris is right about the canon.

1339 - 1357 DR : Largely mysterious period in Menzo's history, politics, etc. (Menzoberranzan [Boxed Set])

Spring, 1358 DR : Vierna Do'Urden, Jarlaxle, and a Bregan D'aerthe contingent perform a small raid on Mithral Hall, with Matron Yvonnel Baenre's blessing; It is revealed that Matron Yvonnel had been wanting to take Mithral Hall for a very long time (The Legacy).

Summer - Fall, 1358 DR : Time of Troubles; Biding her time while waiting for magic to be restored, Matron Yvonnel Baenre plans a massive assault on Mithral Hall (Starless Night & Siege of Darkness).

Fall, 1358 DR : Menzo assaults Mithral Hall, but is repelled; Matron Baenre is killed (Siege of Darkness)

Early 1360s DR : Largely mysterious time period in Menzo's history, politics, etc.

Mid - Late-1360s DR : Jarlaxle adventures on the surface with Artemis Entreri ("The Sellswords")

Winter 1370-1371 DR : Under the leadership of Matron Triel Baenre, Menzoberranzan sacks Blingdenstone (FRCS {3E}, Underdark, Silver Marches)

Ozreth, your party might be able to fit your adventure during either one of those mysterious time periods, without messing with the canon, at all.

Or you might pick that first mysterious time period, and have one of your party members get a tip about Matron Yvonnel's whims about assaulting Mithral Hall. You could either diverge from canon by having your party prevent that massive assault; or uphold canon by having your party attempt to prevent it, but fail. Maybe you join the Mithral Hall defenses in its successful defeat of Menzo; or maybe Matron Yvonnel learns of your spying ways and squashes you like a bug.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  07:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

To be honest I didn't and still don't have much of a plan. I started the game off pretty free-form not sure how long it would last. It's gone on for a bit now, there have been random drow raids and a tip that drow may be amassing slaves from the surface to bolster their forces for an attack on Mithril Hall.

Now that they are on there way to learn more about it, and potentially stop it, I've got to add soem real background. I kind of screwed myself by not having a plan this whole time. What I'm thinking is that when they get close to Menzo there is some sort of house conflict going on? Not sure where to take it though.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  14:57:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Download the DnD Next playtest packet and use that reclaiming Blingdenstone adventure as it also has Mantol Derith in it. The 2E Menzoberranzan boxed set has good information and an adventure in it too and then there's the new Menzo book that just came out that may help. Night Below 2E is an underdark adventure that may help you too, specifically book 2. Jack the map inside the book cover and you could use that as part of your map for the trip.

I've always had trouble visualizing what real underdark tunnels and caverns would be like when mapped out on a grand scale. Now I havent' done this yet, but I do plan on working it into something usable but here's my other idea for a map. Do a Google search for real world cavern system maps, print out the ones you like, trace them onto a sheet of paper and add a few of your own areas.

For the drow, I'd decide on why they are attacking Mithril Hall. Whoever is leading the offensive is obviously confident and has some "edge" to get them farther than that old hag Yvonnel who led the last assault. I could also see one house that has secured more "powerful" allies and is using this assault in an attempt to weaken those rival houses for eventual destruction too. It's a win-win no matter the outcome for whatever housing is directing the effort.

The drow could be working from an outpost hidden in the underdark too. That would give the PC's the ability to possibly smash the entire settlement if lucky. I'd use the Szith Morcane maps for something like that. If the PC's plan on taking out the house that is leading the Mithril Hall offensive, simply set them up as hirelings of a rival house and make them breach the house walls and lead the effort in eliminating the house nobles.

I'd check out Pathfinder's Second Darkness adventure path. That's six books of drow goodness in a campaign. Sepcifically Endless Night, as that one deals with an entire city of 55,000 drow.

Let us know how it goes. :)
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  18:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Download the DnD Next playtest packet and use that reclaiming Blingdenstone adventure as it also has Mantol Derith in it. The 2E Menzoberranzan boxed set has good information and an adventure in it too and then there's the new Menzo book that just came out that may help. Night Below 2E is an underdark adventure that may help you too, specifically book 2. Jack the map inside the book cover and you could use that as part of your map for the trip.

I've always had trouble visualizing what real underdark tunnels and caverns would be like when mapped out on a grand scale. Now I havent' done this yet, but I do plan on working it into something usable but here's my other idea for a map. Do a Google search for real world cavern system maps, print out the ones you like, trace them onto a sheet of paper and add a few of your own areas.

For the drow, I'd decide on why they are attacking Mithril Hall. Whoever is leading the offensive is obviously confident and has some "edge" to get them farther than that old hag Yvonnel who led the last assault. I could also see one house that has secured more "powerful" allies and is using this assault in an attempt to weaken those rival houses for eventual destruction too. It's a win-win no matter the outcome for whatever housing is directing the effort.

The drow could be working from an outpost hidden in the underdark too. That would give the PC's the ability to possibly smash the entire settlement if lucky. I'd use the Szith Morcane maps for something like that. If the PC's plan on taking out the house that is leading the Mithril Hall offensive, simply set them up as hirelings of a rival house and make them breach the house walls and lead the effort in eliminating the house nobles.

I'd check out Pathfinder's Second Darkness adventure path. That's six books of drow goodness in a campaign. Sepcifically Endless Night, as that one deals with an entire city of 55,000 drow.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Whoa! Great stuff here, thank you! I've got some of these resources but I'll gather the rest and see what I can cobble together! I'll definitely be reporting back.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  00:46:57  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just checking back to see if there is any word on that flow chart?
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  03:55:22  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Ozreth - Indeed. I have two links to two versions of the same map from the same online RPG community manual.

The older one is here: http://vnfiles.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/files/gameworld/1213/FRTNPlayersGuidev3.0.pdf

The newer one is here: http://vnfiles.ign.com/nwvault.ign.com/fms/files/gameworld/369/Dalantriel21MHTheNorth.pdf

If you go to each link and scroll around a bit you will find the relevant maps.

Does that help a bit?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000