Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monster Populations and Encounter Tables?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  03:57:18  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings all,

I come to you hat in hand as my scrying and divining efforts have failed. I am looking for a geographical breakdown of the general monster population and/or geographical encounter tables. I'm especially interested in the area from Impiltur to Murghom to Lurien to Chessenta and all area in between. I'm doing background on an adventuring company that targets specific monsters.

Thanks Heaps

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  23:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check Elminster's Ecologies and also the booklet that came with the 3e Forgotten Realms DM Screen is very good. That booklet was very thick and had wonderful encounter charts for every type of environment and for specific regions. I have gleaned tons of interesting adventure ideas just from perusing those charts.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  23:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Check Elminster's Ecologies and also the booklet that came with the 3e Forgotten Realms DM Screen is very good. That booklet was very thick and had wonderful encounter charts for every type of environment and for specific regions. I have gleaned tons of interesting adventure ideas just from perusing those charts.

Bless you, I had forgotten all about that booklet. It was on the bottom of the....pile...

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  12:03:48  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I remember there are two Elimnster Ecologies published. One describing the Dalelands/Cormyr Region the other some parts of the Western Heartlands.

other 3e Sources with IMO good tables are:
The Silver Marches
Unapproachable East
and The Underdark

hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  12:53:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

As far as I remember there are two Elimnster Ecologies published. One describing the Dalelands/Cormyr Region the other some parts of the Western Heartlands.

There was a boxed set with many booklets, and then two appendices with two books each.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  10:03:09  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in general, i think it much more interesting, that certain monsters, like dragons for example, are very likely encounters in every terrain.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  20:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be an idea to create a scroll where we collectively made encounter tables for various regions of Faerun? (Maybe it's already done, what do I know, I'm a noob here) Would be lovely to have a PDF or a thread to look through depending on where characters are. I know, I know, I could just sit down and make my own, but with input from everyone around here we could tailor these tables to near perfection (TM).
The more the merrier and also the more the more different tables (like, you could have different tables, if only slightly, for relatively close areas - say, the Cloakwood and the Wood of Sharp Teeth), or tables suitable for different time periods etc...
Tables for roads, rivers, mountain passes...
This also leads me to wonder, does there exist a map of the Realms by population? You know, giants here, dragons there and here and also there, here live the wild elves, here the leucrotta..

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  20:36:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Would it be an idea to create a scroll where we collectively made encounter tables for various regions of Faerun? (Maybe it's already done, what do I know, I'm a noob here) Would be lovely to have a PDF or a thread to look through depending on where characters are. I know, I know, I could just sit down and make my own, but with input from everyone around here we could tailor these tables to near perfection (TM).
The more the merrier and also the more the more different tables (like, you could have different tables, if only slightly, for relatively close areas - say, the Cloakwood and the Wood of Sharp Teeth), or tables suitable for different time periods etc...
Tables for roads, rivers, mountain passes...
This also leads me to wonder, does there exist a map of the Realms by population? You know, giants here, dragons there and here and also there, here live the wild elves, here the leucrotta..

I think that is an excellent idea...with one major obstacle:

time dependent variables

Monsters are an ever changing population all over the Realms.

So you would need to pick a particular time to work with.

Solid idea though!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  20:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is the one problem - what we could do was to separate the encounter tables in three general groups - 2nd Ed, 3rd Ed, 4th Ed (and probably a fourth for 5 Ed down the road). Or call them, say, "1300-1370", "1450-1480" etc.
As a combined effort we could make encounter tables that reflected the areas of Faerun too, with homebrew NPCs for example. Encounter tables for, say, Cormyr, could include Cormyr-specific encounters ("Purple Dragon Patrol", "Hilp Merchants", "Tilverton Family" etc), or use NPCs from sourcebooks etc. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  22:33:49  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said, wonderful idea...but I would be the last that could help with a monster like this! lol

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2013 :  08:15:20  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17147

Tough these 3e/PF lists are based on mythological origins of creatures. In canon sources it was usually based on the type of terrain or without any criteria.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000