Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What are extremely powerful Druids capable of?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  04:13:35  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
At Epic levels are there any feats they can perform that cannot be easily replicated by an epic level mage or traditional priest?

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  04:30:26  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this seems more about the d&d game rather then faerun books. At epic levels in 3.5 d&d , druids do not have any such leeway, as wizards do at creating epic spells.

Otherwise I would suggest you read this

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Druid_Spell_List#9TH-LEVEL_DRUID_SPELLS

In a few other sources, such as Sandstorm and Frostburn supplement book s, they do have spells which give winter like weather for miles, and likewise desert like weather for miles around.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  04:41:39  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That depends on weather one is talking about a mortal druid or a God with levels in druid.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  04:55:28  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wrong sorry

Epic Spellcasting [Epic]

Prerequisite
Spellcraft 24 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 24 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level arcane spells. OR Spellcraft 24 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 24 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level divine spells. OR Spellcraft 24 ranks, Knowledge (nature) 24 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level divine spells.
Benefit
The character may develop and cast epic spells. If the character is an arcane spellcaster, he or she may cast a number of epic spells per day equal to his or her ranks in Knowledge (arcana) divided by 10. If the character is a divine spellcaster, he or she may cast a number of epic spells per day equal to his or her ranks in Knowledge (religion) or Knowledge (nature) divided by 10.
Special
If the character meets more than one set of prerequisites, the limit on the number of spells he or she may cast per day is cumulative.

As according to d&d 3.5 rules, druids and clerics can do epic spells also.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  04:56:36  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Create whole forests LOL j/k

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  05:16:00  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though they were NOT druid spells, there were high level "Preserver" "Psionic Enchantments" from the Darksun campaign that could easily be modified for a high level druid. A little background for you. Wizards in dark sun fell into two categories one who powers magic by sucking energy out of the world (Defilers) and one who tries to live in balance with nature (Preservers). At high levels all Dark Sun spellcasters transform into a more powerful being - Clerics into Elementals, Defilers into Dragons, and Preservers into "Avangion"... Avangion were kinda like nature angels...

They had spells like "Prolific Vegetation" and "Prolific Forestation" that could basically do exactly what CorellonsDevout jested about - create an entire forest.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  07:32:37  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was that high level spell the Phearimm cast that drain an area miles around of all life ,thus creating huge deserts? It seems like wizardly magic can match even the most powerful Druidic spells....
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  11:09:08  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on what you mean with easily. But I doubt there is anything a wizard in 3.5 can't also do (better)
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  18:34:40  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druids I always felt were better at direct damage spells, things that require moving terrain, and turning what you are standing on against you.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  20:06:17  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought epic spells simply were epic spells and no longer divine or arcane but free for all with epic spellcasting and enough ranks in spellcraft.

Thus once the hit that thresholds clerics, druids and wizards can just do equally well
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  21:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
 What are extremely powerful Druids capable of?

Growing some really really good weed.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  22:20:03  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the old FR boxes had "Nature Elementals" which were pretty hard core. Summon nature elemental was a 7th level spell.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  22:53:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

One of the old FR boxes had "Nature Elementals" which were pretty hard core. Summon nature elemental was a 7th level spell.

Spellbound, I think. I'm at work, though, and can't check -- never thought to get the pdf of that one, when they were legally available.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  23:10:35  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Examples of Epic Druid Spells are:

Verdegris Tsunami

Raise Island!!!!

Crown of Vermin

Summon Behemoth

Living Lightning

So epic druids are plenty powerful in the spellcasting department, and most have acces to the Life and Healing epic spell seeds, allowing for spells that resurrect (like Contingent Resurrection.htm) or create actual life (Origin of Species: Achaierai.

Their shapeshifting abilities can also be honed to a fine edge, with feats such as Collosal Wildshape, Dragon Wildshape, Diminutive Wildshape and Vermin Wildshape. Their animal compagnons become epic aswell, with increased vigor, strength and dexterity and the choise of taming magical beasts as compagnons.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  01:03:19  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As someone who played an epic druid, I caused some serious damaged. I used my wildshape ability to have a battle form (I was also able to cast in said form). I was devastating to undead, the mage, not so much. I would have to pull put my old character sheet, but I know that I used Dragon Wild Shape (and could go Colossal), Twin Spell with Maxed Flame Strike, and that is what I can think of.
Our mage was powerful, but he could not do what I did (LOL..he always was jealous of my Nature's Sense and Woodland Stride..sucker). I can definitely say that epic druids are powerful spellcasters.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  01:28:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Spellbound, I think. I'm at work, though, and can't check -- never thought to get the pdf of that one, when they were legally available.

I think it was updated in a DRAGON Magazine issue as well, but it was part of another article, and thus not the feature. So I can't use the Dragondex to check for the issue.

I'll have a look through my stack of old DRAGON issues.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  14:21:33  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The nature elemental first appeared in Spellbound and afterwards in one of the Monter Manual Annuals (1 or 2), IIRC. Its creation was a 7th level spell because this was the top level for priest spells in 2e. There are also some "Quest spells" in 2e Tome of Magic that belonged to the spheres of druids (like summoning a horde of wolves, for example).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  14:43:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Out of curiosity, jordanz, have you read Richard's The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy? There's a fair amount of druid actions in it that might give you some spark of inspiration . . .

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  07:29:07  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 15th-level druid casting a 5th-level spell can destroy an entire army.

How I love control winds. ;)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  16:34:41  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They can cast the following Quest spells (from 2e Tome of Magic):

Abundance: crops can grow and be ready for harvest in one day (10 square miles); forests can grow as 25 years have passed in one day, and 5 years per day for the next three days (25 square miles).

Animal Horde: a powerful summoning calls 10HD of animals per druid level. The druid can choose the kinds of animals, and they start arriving the following round and are all there after three turns (half an hour). They obey the druid in any missions he assigns to them, and communication is automatic during its duration.

Elemental Swarm: the druid opens a portal to one of the elemental planes and calls elementals to help him. In the end of the 1st turn of casting 3d3 12HD elementals appear; after the second turn, 2d3 elementals of 16HD each appear; after the third turn, ld3 elementals of 20HD each appear. Each elemental has at least 5 hit points per hit die. The elementals remain for six turns from the time they first appear. These elementals will obey the priest explicitly and cannot be turned against the caster. The priest does not need to concentrate to maintain control over the elementals. They cannot be dismissed with spells such as dismissal; the elementals remain for the duration of the spell (6 turns, 1 hour in 2e).

Health Blessing: 50 humanoids are the recipients of a health blessing; they are immune to nonmagical disease, gain a +4 bonus to saving throws versus poison and death magic, and can cast cure light wounds on themselves once per day for the duration of the spell. In addition, a recipient of health blessing can heal one other creature per day as a paladin does by laying hands. The healing conferred is 1 hit point per level or hit die of the healer.

Robe of Healing: This spell enchants the priest's robe or cloak, enabling him to walk among wounded creatures and heal them. By touching the robe, a wounded creature is cured of ld4+4 hit points. As many creatures as can physically touch the robe within the spell duration can be healed. A reasonable maximum is 20 creatures per round, allowing a total of 1,200 creatures to be healed. A creature can be affected only once per week by the robe of healing.

Shooting stars: a number of fiery-orange, electrically-charged miniature fireballs erupt and shower onto the ground. Within the area of effect, all creatures suffer 6d10 points of combined fire and electrical damage. A successful saving throw at a -4 penalty indicates half damage. In addition, four large shooting stars materialize within the area of effect. The priest can individually target these at specific creatures. If creatures are not specified, the targets are randomly selected. Each shooting star causes 48 points of damage on impact (no saving throw is allowed). Any creature within 10 feet of impact suffers 24 points of fire damage (half-damage if a saving throw at -4 is successful).

Stalker: a druid conjures ld4 + 2 plant creatures which have statistics identical to shambling mounds of 11HD. These creatures will aid the caster in combat or battle, perform a specific mission, or serve as bodyguards. The creatures remain with the priest for seven days unless he dismisses them. If the stalkers are summoned only for guard duty, however, the duration of the spell is seven months. In this case, the stalkers can only be ordered to guard a specific site or location. The stalkers gain resistance to fire as per shambling mounds only if the terrain is suitable (marshy, close to a body of water, etc.).

Storm of Vengeance: the priest must concentrate and cast the spell for the full duration of the spell. The casting time and duration are simultaneous; both activities occur in the same turn. In the first round of casting, the priest summons an enormous black storm cloud over the area of effect. Lightning and crashing claps of thunder appear within the storm; creatures in the area of effect must make a saving throw or be deafened for ld4 turns. On the second round, acid rains down in the area, inflicting ld4 +1 points of damage. No saving throw is allowed. On the third round, the caster calls six lightning bolts down from the cloud. Each is directed at a target by the priest (all may be directed at a single target or they may be directed at six separate targets). Each lightning bolt strike causes 8d8 points of damage (a successful saving throw indicates
half damage). On the fourth round, hailstones rain down in the area, causing 3d10 points of damage (no saving throw). On the fifth through tenth (and final) rounds, violent rain and wind gusts reduce visibility to five feet. Movement is reduced 75%. Missile fire and spellcasting from within the area of effect are impossible. The sequence of effects ceases immediately if the priest is disrupted from spellcasting during the 1 turn duration of the spell. The priest may opt to cancel the effects at any time.

Wolf spirits: the priest calls upon the ”spirits” of wolves (or another animal, if appropriate). The notion of wolf spirits is akin to the Wild Hunt of Celtic mythology: a pack of enormous magical wolves led by a human master who range Celtic lands seeking to destroy evil. The wolf spirits spell summons 2d4 + 2 such entities to serve the priest as master. Wolf spirits’ statistics are as follows: AC -4; MV 36 F136 (B); HD 5 +5; #AT 1; Dmg 3d6; AL N; SZ M; ML 20; THACO 14. They are immune to all forms of mind control, illusions, gases, paralyzation, and spells which affect only corporeal creatures. They cannot be harmed by weapons of less than + 2 enchantment. Wolf spirits can be instructed to perform a service in the manner of the animal summoning spells. In this variation in the Animal and Summoning spheres, the spell does not expire until the spirits have performed their commanded service, to a maximum duration of 14 days.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 25 Feb 2013 16:36:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: