Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Demigods in 5e
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  18:44:30  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What role should demigods play in 5e?

Traditionally Demigods have been more accessible then higher Gods.

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  20:24:25  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd use them as 'living' legends, as they are mostly from mortal origin. They are usually found walking the grounds of Toril every once in a while even if they already own a personal domain in the astral planes near Toril. Their relationships with their divine peers makes demigods quite hesitant to directly influence the lands of Faerun. Their singular avatars are likely to sire aasimar or tiefling children among the populace in this phase of their divinity.

Good examples of this mentality can (or could) be seen in Drasek Riven, Gwaeron Windstrom, Bast/Sharess, Selvetarm and Gargauth.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  23:53:17  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to seem them fill that "middle ground," if you will. Someone, friend or foe, that is accessible for players. In many ways, epic characters or particular angels and devils/demons are already on that power level.

It would add a nice mythological feel to things.

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  00:02:24  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see more demigods in 5e, but weren't they "exarchs" in 4e?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  00:15:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were only "Heroes" in AD&D 1E. Perhaps more accurately called "Super Heroes", same as other characters except for some perks (at least one stat 19+, no class or dual-/multi-class restrictions, sometimes a special/unique skill or power of some sort, often some kind of other-planar bloodline, typically small army of followers/worshippers) ... another way of saying they were basically standard 3E characters in 1E, pretty powerful but not really demigods.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  02:46:48  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see exarch not used in any form. It's not an intuitive word. Demipower or demigod works well enough so why change it? I'd also like to see a slew of demipowers added to the Realms for small cults, different takes on other deities etc. I mean who wouldn't want to see a few new goblin-kin or dwarven deities? Everyone's heard of Khedrun's Vale so maybe there's a demipower or heroine who has a following etc.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  02:59:44  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mind is stuck on planescape Demigods where they are Powers and still superpowerful compared to a mortal. (Like Kiaransalee ruling an infinite plane of the abyss, etc. ) Although I would prefer they use the term "minor" or something since "Demi" means half, doesn't it? A demigod should be like a Bhaalspawn or Iyachtu Xvim.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  03:13:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen exarch used to indicate an order between mortal and demigod, what 3E people might call "quasi-divine rank 0".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  03:24:36  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I'd like to see more demigods in 5e, but weren't they "exarchs" in 4e?

Wasn't Exarch a level below a Demigod and onyl Quasi Divine? Like a 0 Level divinity? While Demigods were level 1-5.

I want the Mulhorandi pantheon back!!!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  03:49:47  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Demigods are half mortal and half God in D&D, but a half a God is like being half a supernova. The Mortal part means they're more approachable, understandably, relatable then full gods, who are more conceptual in nature, and more Alien in mind set.

QuasiGods are more like Superheroes, they have the blood of Gods enhancing them, but its so work they're not Gods at all, hence why they have no Divine Rank and can't grant spells.

Think of it this way, imagine Gods are like a T-Rex, Demigods are a half T-Rex and half Human Hybred, and a Quasi God is just a human whose recessive genes became active enough he grew scales.

As for Exarchs, those where one of the worst ideas of 5e, because no one what they were for certain, were they Demigods, Saints, random lt. Of the Gods, other stuff? No body knew for sure and 4e material was contradictory and confusing.

Also confusion over whether they could grant,spells or not.

On top of that they added Exarchs that weren't part of the Pantheon of the World Chart in the novel and other sources adding more confusion.

Use the term Demigod, Saint, and Quasigods instead for there respective beings instead of Exarchs so people actually understand what your talking about.

Plus an Exarch is actually from the Russian,Othodoxy Church and has no relation to any of this and while White Wolfs Mage Game has Godlike Exarch's, it not the same, and will only add confusion.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  04:06:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the original and unaltered "Year of the Ageless One" article on Wizards:-
quote:
The exarchs are often called demigods or heroes, and many are ascended mortal servants of greater gods, brought up from the world to serve as agents of their divine masters. Many, but not all, attract worshipers of their own, and they have some ability to grant spells, but are more often simply conduits from the mortal world to the attention of the higher gods.
Additionally, Brian James confirmed pretty early one that exarchs [just as demigods were in previous editions] are immortal.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  04:24:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So basically exarchs are equivalent, in power terms, to Chosen?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  04:36:03  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the sons of Annam? Progenitors of the Giant races, Somehow I don't see them as full Gods- more like demi Gods yet they should have been full Gods since they were spawned from two Gods....
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  04:53:56  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exarchs are equilvant to everything including the Kitchen Sink, Exarch of Martha Stewart :p

As for Brian James he did a good a attempt at making sense of it, but other sources like Divine Power contradict him.

I say just let the term die or at least make it a footnote and go back to the consistant and easy to define terms like Demigod.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  05:08:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer my exarchs to be somewhere between mortal and demigod. Mystra's Chosen would be a good example. For demigods, I prefer that they remain as they were in prior editions: immortal entities with a portfolio and the ability to cast spells.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  06:12:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

So basically exarchs are equivalent, in power terms, to Chosen?

Well, the FRCG [pg. 72] states that "The post-Spellplague world includes no Chosen who are not exarchs."

Make of that what you will.

I think it's important to note that a Chosen may ascend to the position of an Exarch. Creating new Chosen is still possible, and they don't necessarily have to be an Exarch -- it's just something they might eventually come to. However, judging from that FRCG quote, the current lot of Chosen have obviously ascended to the rank of Exarch.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  06:24:07  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the term exarch created for 4e?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  11:15:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Wasn't the term exarch created for 4e?

The term existed elsewhere. It was adapted by WotC for 4E.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  14:20:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I understand it, the term 'exarch' is/was an 'umbrella term' that covered EVERYTHING between mortal and truly divine (deity) status. While demigods are the best-known group that got lumped-in, there were also Chosen, and other 'agents' of powers (like archangels), and also Fiend lords.

For a few years now (before 4e) I have been using the term 'Tezu' - a word in some Ancient Celestial proto-tongue - to define that power tier. For me, 'Exarch' is just another word for something I had already envisioned. I also use 'Tanar' to describe elemental beings of the same power-level (and I have lots of - probably obvious - suffixes and prefixes to further define them).

So if silly mortals have decided the new 'buzz word' for these types of beings is 'Exarch', so be it... it doesn't effect me, or the games I run, in the least.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jan 2013 14:21:17
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  20:34:14  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The way I understand it, the term 'exarch' is/was an 'umbrella term' that covered EVERYTHING between mortal and truly divine (deity) status.
Which was one of the main gripes people had with it.

It was so broad as to become meaningless when it was used for everything from the heroic tier gardener mowing the lawn of the main temple to the epic tier demigod equivalent.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  20:58:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

The way I understand it, the term 'exarch' is/was an 'umbrella term' that covered EVERYTHING between mortal and truly divine (deity) status.

It was so broad as to become meaningless when it was used for everything from the heroic tier gardener mowing the lawn of the main temple to the epic tier demigod equivalent.

Kinda like the term Chosen.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  23:39:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exarch and Chosen don't bug me so much. Proxy does.

It's not so much about the terminology, using different words is no big deal. It's about the ambiguity and complete lack of definition or consistency behind the terminology.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  01:20:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

Eh. I tend to think a lot of folk place entirely too much emphasis on the actual term of a particular ranking like "Exarch" and/or "Chosen." Just because that's how they're defined in terms of the rules... doesn't necessarily mean that's how they should be described in the setting Realmslore. It's just been an unfortunate circumstance that these ranking terms are used in the lore because it makes connecting these characters with the rules much easier.

Personally, I'd prefer the terms "Exarch" and "Chosen" to remain solely as rules-related elements, and have the setting lore reflect actual specific terms for them based on local cultural and/or historical trends.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  01:35:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that idea, Sage. Exarchs/Chosen/Proxies might be much like artifacts or deities in the context of each being a completely unique entity, have more individual traits than common traits when compared against others.

No two Chosen are completely alike in terms of power; they each have some "special gifts" or abilities which sets them apart. Exarchs seem to be completely variable, half of them are monsters.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  04:26:04  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I know is that the gods who were demigods (and some lesser deities, IIRC) were labelled exarch in 4e. And yes, technically, demigod is half god. Like one parent was divine (Greek myth is full of this), or they obtain some semblance of godhood, like Selvatarm.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  14:15:17  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like the idea of Chosen being exarchs or demigods. I'd much rather see them as unique, powerful individuals, like a wizard or priest with a few special abilities. Elminster may be able to stand toe to toe with a demigod, but I think it steals something of his character if he were to be labeled as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Madmage
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  14:42:05  Show Profile Send The Madmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always equated the Exarchs to be similar to Proxies from the Planescape setting. Beings that had a direct channel to their god and could be considered to be speaking in its stead.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  21:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have to look at a couple different sources to get the full picture here; the 4e player's guide, dm's guide, FRPG, FRCG, and Divine Power, but it basically breaks down like this.

Under 4e definitions, exarchs and Demigods are essentially the same thing. The difference is that an exarch is subservient to a more powerful deity where as a demigod is independent. They are often, but not always, chosen from mortal races who've attained great power(reached epic levels), whether humanoid or monstrous. An exarch is expected to serve a greater deity more or less for eternity in their divine realm. They're the champion of their armies, the majordomo of their dominion.

Chosen are mortals selected by the gods to carry out tasks for the gods on the mortal plane and are given various powers, depending on the deity and their particular needs for their particular task, to carry out that task. Chosen can be "unchosen" pretty much at any time, but they can also be lifted up and given the rank of exarch, or awarded such upon their death.

The primary difference between chosen and exarch is that chosen serve in life on the mortal plane, where as exarchs serve in the divine realm. A chosen becoming an exarch is a reward for a job well done, not a necessity. When the FRPG said "There are no chosen that are not also exarchs", what that meant was that all the chosen from before the time skip- Fzoul, Obould, etc, had died and been raised to the level of exarch in the interim. The idea was that the only chosen would be the player characters, should they reach epic levels and choose the Chosen epic destiny for their characters.

Of course, with the revelation that Elminster and a couple of the Seven Sister's were still alive, just depowered, that turned out to be not entirely true.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  21:19:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Chosen of Asmodeus
... Chosen can be "unchosen" pretty much at any time, but they can also be lifted up and given the rank of exarch, or awarded such upon their death.
I think each Chosen/Exarch/Proxy/etc is effectively unique. It may be impossible for Mystra's Chosen (and Magisters) to ever resume their lives as mortals, while Mask's Chosen might need to somehow escape from the shadows, Tyr's and Torm's Chosen might yield their tenures after fulfilling their contractual duties, Waukeen's Chosen might need to haggle for their lives.

I think the deity can elect to demote their Chosen any time, but I wonder what happens when the Chosen has actually become a sufficiently established element of the faith that it can be sustained independently.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  09:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I'd use them as 'living' legends, as they are mostly from mortal origin. They are usually found walking the grounds of Toril every once in a while even if they already own a personal domain in the astral planes near Toril. Their relationships with their divine peers makes demigods quite hesitant to directly influence the lands of Faerun. Their singular avatars are likely to sire aasimar or tiefling children among the populace in this phase of their divinity.

Good examples of this mentality can (or could) be seen in Drasek Riven, Gwaeron Windstrom, Bast/Sharess, Selvetarm and Gargauth.

That's what I'd do too.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  01:39:55  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if I'm going to entirely answer the OPs question but in my homebrew I divide deities into Minor/Lesser/Major/Greater gods. I don't like the classification Intermediate for a god because it seems somehow counter-intuitive to me and my classifications seem more sensible to me.

What most refer to as demigods (in reference to the game rules) I instead call minor gods. Instead, demigod is a term reserved solely for a being who was both a mortal and a divine (or divine "type" of) parent. They may or may not be immortal but are NOT gods and cannot grant spells. In 3e terms they would have a divine rank of "0" (although I don't use that system) and are on par with other semi-divine beings such as Mystra's Chosen (and Saints, quasi-deities, etc).

I actually struggle with the use of gods in my homebrew. Like the myriad races in the game I sometimes feel the Realms is overrun with deities. And yet, I actually like the idea of regional deities of every stripe and color under the sun.

So, to try and answer the OPs question. Minor deities are just that...deities...complete with their own home planes, temples, priests and followers in the Realms. They walk the world a bit more than the other gods (the better to increase their following). But, I dont have them directly ruling over any cities or kingdoms unless they are VERY new to their divinity and are in the process of transitioning power to another while they attempt to move on and establish themselves in Pantheon. I actually didn't care for the Pharonic Pantheon ruling Mulhorand in a direct sense...though their avatars doing the ruling is fine.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000