Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Deific Couples
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  02:19:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jocularity aside, I wonder how worshippers who follow both deities would respond to any emotional and/or romantic conflict that would arise between Hanali and Sune.

Like Larajin, for example, from Heirs of Prophecy by Lisa Smedman. She worshipped both Hanali and Sune, but often found her life's course being pulled in the direction of either one or the other deity.

Imagine how much more compelling a player's roleplaying experience would become if there were to be a romantic component being shared between the two deities this player's character might be worshipping in-game?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  02:49:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read that book, though now I may have to. I actually didn't know about the Sembia series until after I read the Erevis Cale and Twilight Wars book. I knew I was probably missing something, since the books made references to past events, but it was enough of a "new" story, if that makes sense, that I wasn't too confused. Could I read Heirs of Prophecy by itself?

Hanali and Sune do have different personalities. I think Galaeron commented on this in RotAW. Like most people who have more than one deity, ideologies might clash, but Sune and Hanali are close...ish?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  03:40:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Could I read Heirs of Prophecy by itself?
Pretty much. She appears in some parts of Halls of Stormweather and one other "Sembia" novel as I recall, but Heirs of Prophecy is her main book in the series.
quote:
Hanali and Sune do have different personalities. I think Galaeron commented on this in RotAW. Like most people who have more than one deity, ideologies might clash, but Sune and Hanali are close...ish?
To a point. Though Smedman does an admirable job of illustrating how confusing it can be for a mortal worshipper who follows two deities -- even when they have similar portfolios.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  06:18:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All right, I'll have to check it out. I like Smedman's writing.

That's true (admittedly I wrote that in a hurry since mom was serving up dinner Yes, I live with my parents). Sune and Hanali do differ in personality, even if they're both "goddesses of love". I've always thought of Sune as more vain and lusty--though I suppose that title goes to Sharess. It might be like serving both Chauntea and Silvanus at the same time--though that might be a little more complicated than Sune and Hanali.

I know many Faerunians can pay homage to a number of deities (Chauntea for crops and Tymora for luck), but it is also true that some may have two "patron" deities. Qilue actually comes to mind. She was both a Chosen of Mystra and High Priestess--one might even say Chosen--of Eilistraee (I was not happy with Qilue's death, and from the sound of things, she didn't even get to go to Arvandor when Eilistraee died because her soul was destroyed--one could argue that, but that's the wording that was used, IIRC. She should have at least been reunited with the spirit of Ilkentar. But then again, I'm a sap, so naturally I'd wish for such things). Anyway, I think Qilue would be another prime example of someone who serves two deities.

And, along those lines, when Eilistraee merged with Vhaeraun and became the Masked Lady, some of the Vhaeraunites worshiped both E and V. That area gets a little gray, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  08:20:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know many Faerunians can pay homage to a number of deities (Chauntea for crops and Tymora for luck), ...
Power of Faerûn notes that "Most folk in Faerûn embrace (or drift into) primary worship of one deity above -- even if only slightly above -- all others."

Except for priests, the distinction between your most-worshipped god and your second-most-worshipped god is only quantitative, not qualitative, and not everyone sees their most-worshipped god as their 'patron.'

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  01:30:09  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edminster's Forgotten Realms implied that a lot of Faeraunians will pray to more than one deity based on the circumstances. I believe the example used was farmers praying to Chauntea for a good crop and Talos for for storms. But I do see your point, and it is likely true that many will have a deity they pray to most often, "patron" or not.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  04:19:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Edminster's Forgotten Realms implied that a lot of Faeraunians will pray to more than one deity based on the circumstances. I believe the example used was farmers praying to Chauntea for a good crop and Talos for for storms. But I do see your point, and it is likely true that many will have a deity they pray to most often, "patron" or not.

This is something Ed built into the Realms from the very beginning. As he said back in '04:-

"So that’s the way I did it. DRAGON issue 54 contains my work-in-progress
unfolding of a pantheon of gods, and a glance at that article will show you three things
at work: like all D&D gamers at the time, I was trying to stay official, matching deities
with what Gary Gygax had revealed of his (the Greyhawk setting); I wanted lots of gods
(one aspect of the Realms that’s thus far been neglected is the extent to which Jonthun
the baker next door worships Chauntea for a good harvest, Tymora for good luck in the
baking, Talos for good weather so the grain crops won’t be ruined, and so on, all in the
same day);"

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  06:37:09  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know about the Realms in '04, and compared to a lot of people on this site, I'm fairly ignorant. There is much I don't know, even on the aspects of the Realms I like the best (elves, drow, gods).

On a side note, how big of a character is Cale in Heirs of Prophecy? Admittedly, after what happened in Twilight Wars, I'm not sure I could read a book with him in it that happens before. I wished I had read the Sembia novels first, but oh well. This is one of the reasons I'm anticipating Godborn. The Amazon summary was such a tease!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  13:50:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On a side note, how big of a character is Cale in Heirs of Prophecy? Admittedly, after what happened in Twilight Wars, I'm not sure I could read a book with him in it that happens before. I wished I had read the Sembia novels first, but oh well. This is one of the reasons I'm anticipating Godborn. The Amazon summary was such a tease!
I'm going from memory... but aside from a brief cameo appearance, Cale doesn't feature in the plot of Heirs of Prophecy. It's entirely about Larajin and her conflicted faith between Sune and Hanali.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  14:02:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Jocularity aside, I wonder how worshippers who follow both deities would respond to any emotional and/or romantic conflict that would arise between Hanali and Sune.

Like Larajin, for example, from Heirs of Prophecy by Lisa Smedman. She worshipped both Hanali and Sune, but often found her life's course being pulled in the direction of either one or the other deity.

Imagine how much more compelling a player's roleplaying experience would become if there were to be a romantic component being shared between the two deities this player's character might be worshipping in-game?

Yeah, that was actually my goal with starting this thread. Not necessarily to document which deities are documented as being with one another, but more which deities are with one another and whose relationship might be mirrored by their clergy. For instance, I don't find the Mystra/Kelemvor combine all that interesting in this scenario, because I don't see a natural draw amongst their clergy. However, a Talosian/Umberlee relationship mirrored on earth kind of makes sense.... and it could also mirror anything going on in the heavens if there's fighting, etc.... The same could go for a Leira/Mask relationship where the two clergy are playing a game of intrigues & lies with each other whilst working as spies. Similarly, a red knight/Tempus relationship could be interesting as both focus on aspects of war if mirrored on earth, but interestingly, the red knight follower may be the leader as a twist.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  14:03:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Cyric and Nuitari. They're both gays, right?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000