Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 good starting point
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RaVeN1463
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  01:58:32  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN1463's Homepage Send RaVeN1463 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
ok ive played a few of the games and im going to try to read the books of the forgotton realms any idea on a good seires to start on?

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  02:12:52  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Avatar series is a good place to start since it is pretty realms-shaking. The books in the series are: Shadowdale, Tantras, Waterdeep, Prince of Lies, and Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  02:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would start with Homeland, by R. A. Salvatore, in the Dark Elf Trilogy. It was my introduction to the Realms, and as best a starting book as I can come up with. I WOULDN'T READ THE AVATAR SERIES FIRST, BECAUSE IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND IT YOU WOULD NEED A BIT MORE KNOWLEDGE OF THE REALMS!

Cherrn, what were you thinking???

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Naroon Shimmerflow
Learned Scribe

Norway
104 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  04:51:27  Show Profile Send Naroon Shimmerflow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first book was Shadowdale in the avatar triology, it was kind of heavy to start with beacuse of my lack of knowledeg about the realm, so i must agree with my friend Shadowlord on that one.

The drizzt series is a good start or the clerical quintet or the songs and sword series by Elain Cunningham.

but nomatter which book you start with there will be a lot of questions and much confusion

Good dice rolls, beats good tactics anytime[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  06:00:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is always much debate on this topic, but overall I really do not think it matters that much, since most new readers to the Realms now have access to many different avenues of review and discussion on the various novels...enough it seems, to learn the basics of what goes on in each novel, if you don't mind SPOILERS of course...

That being said, I think the best novel to start with is where the entire series began...Darkwalker on Moonshae, Book I of the 'Moonshae Trilogy' and written by Douglas ("the Mountain Dwarf") Niles.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  08:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not Homeland! That's the fourth Drizzt book!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  08:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, techically, yes, Homeland is the 4th book, but as it chronicles the first decades of young Drizzt's life, its safe to say that he can indeed start with homeland without becoming too confused...

Just remember that some details between the Dark Elf trilogy and the Icewind Dale Trilogy will most likely conflict (but just a few), due to the Icewind Dale trilogy being written first.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  09:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at least you recognize it came first in publication. But it really should be read in order of publication.

Of course, I notice little nuances like that, when I've read a prequel before the story that was written first. Like when I read Escape Velocity before The Warlock In Spite of Himself. I didn't know better, since the copy I was reading was an omnibus of those two. I figured it out after I'd already gotten into the story, and I didn't feel like stopping and restarting.

The point is, the way that the books are written, Sojourn leads most obviously to Legacy, not The Crystal Shard. He might start his life in Homland, but his character starts before that. It's obvious in the way things are written.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  10:00:25  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

I would start with Homeland, by R. A. Salvatore, in the Dark Elf Trilogy. It was my introduction to the Realms, and as best a starting book as I can come up with. I WOULDN'T READ THE AVATAR SERIES FIRST, BECAUSE IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND IT YOU WOULD NEED A BIT MORE KNOWLEDGE OF THE REALMS!

Cherrn, what were you thinking???

I just didn't think he should start out with a Drizzt novel, no matter how good the Dark Elf Trilogy was. That will just make him wanna play a scimitar wielding drow ranger with purple eyes when he does his rpg sessions. I say let him have some of the more realms-shaking material!
Scimitar wielding drow rangers with purple eyes who are chaotic good other than Drizzt himself made the baby caliph cry

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."

Edited by - Cherrn on 23 Jan 2004 10:01:23
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  11:55:13  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RaVeN1463

ok ive played a few of the games and im going to try to read the books of the forgotton realms any idea on a good seires to start on?

I'd recommend starting with The Icewind Dales Trilogy. It's good, solid uncomplicated D&D. With this series, you don't actually need to know why a Drow (Drizzt) is there so you can leave the Drow moral and political situation until later.
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  16:49:22  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

quote:

I'd recommend starting with The Icewind Dales Trilogy. It's good, solid uncomplicated D&D. With this series, you don't actually need to know why a Drow (Drizzt) is there so you can leave the Drow moral and political situation until later.

Yes! You are brilliant Just what I was about to say...

Then again; I may be a bit biased. You see... I have only read the IWD Trilogy yet... but It was a good start!

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  17:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings!!
I just startet too read the books myself and I wantet to read homeland, but the closes bookstore that have forgotten realms books dident have it so I started with the Icewind dale triogily, and I think that books are great.
Butt, , I recomend you too do as Shade said and begin with Homeland since it is there the story of Drizzt starts.

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  23:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Avatar trilogy isn't a good introduction because it's about an atypical time that turns the Realms upside down. The Dark Elf trilogy is set mostly underground, in a culture not much related to the Realms above; Bob wrote the Icewind Dale trilogy (at least the first book or two) with only limited information about the setting and even his later books have relatively little to do with the wider Realms. The Moonshae trilogy wasn't even set in the Realms when it was first conceived, and the Moonshaes again are fairly separate from the mainland Realms.

My usual suggestions instead are Spellfire, Cormyr: A Novek, Elfshadow, or The Halls of Stormweather.

Edited by - Faraer on 23 Jan 2004 23:42:32
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  00:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recomend the avatar trilogy, there you learn about the wonders of Cyric.But first you shuld read some of the books the other people said.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  05:54:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, his road as he spirals downward, leaving you thinking "But he had such promise . . . why'd he go all evil like that?"

Cyric is hardly as fun as his little wanabe follower here would like him to be.

Now, as for the Avatar series, the actual trilogy isn't all that bad to start out with, though not necessarily at first. When I started reading them, I kept finding references to "The Time of Troubles" and had no idea what in the Abyss that was. The closest I got was when (after reading several other books, including the Harpers) I returned to the Drizzt books and saw the large reference there. Coupled with what was mentioned in Daughter of the Drow, I finally understood why it was so important.

You really don't need much of a background on the Realms to read the original trilogy, though you'd likely need it for the other two that were tacked on later. They were confusing enough for me, who had read over half of the FR books to that date. (Seven years ago, I think.)

Of course, it would be better if you knew who Elminster was. So Spellfire is certainly an excellent start. Not that it's by the best author -- hey, just because Ed Greenwood created the Realms doesn't mean he can actually stand next to the likes of Cunningham or Salvatore. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that he knows his material better than most people, and certainly better than anyone when it comes to Elminster, I'd think he wouldn't be considered as publishable as he is.

Now, his coauthored book Cormyr really outshown his single works; I have to attribute that to Jeff Grubb. It's an excellent look at early life in the Heartlands, and leads into the present day very well.

The same can be said of Evermeet: Island of Elves, but that doesn't make such a good introductory novel. For one, the way it interspaces the current events bits depends too much on Cunningham's first novel, Elfshadow. That latter book would be good for an introduction. Especially if you want to know more about Waterdeep; and then it leads to Elfsong, which I think is even better. But Silver Shadows didn't really cut it; Arilyn's at her best as a character only when Danilo's involved, and Danilo can stand alone wonderfully.

I actually have to agree with Cherrn on his reason for not recomending a Drizzt novel for a first book. Drizzt is perhaps the most regonizable character in the entire Realms. Danilo deserves more coverage, so I recomend Elfshadow as a first novel. After that, Spellfire; and then the Icewind Dale trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  15:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
just because Ed Greenwood created the Realms doesn't mean he can actually stand next to the likes of Cunningham or Salvatore [as an author]
I certainly (speaking as a book editor and some-time paid reviewer) don't agree, and I'm fairly sure Elaine and Bob don't either.

Edited by - Faraer on 24 Jan 2004 15:22:01
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  15:58:20  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cleric quintet and the icewind dale trilo are 2 good ets to start out with...the storiese enter twine at some of the later drizzt stories. Plus the halflings gem tells the reader alot about the realms and all the citys on Drizzts trip to calimport.

-Rogue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

RaVeN1463
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  02:44:28  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN1463's Homepage Send RaVeN1463 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the ideas for starting places. now everyone can tell who mr. i love Cyric supports how do you become a member of a spacific faith?
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  11:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RaVeN1463: What do you mean?

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Jacinth Greyfox
Acolyte

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  13:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Jacinth Greyfox's Homepage Send Jacinth Greyfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the Incewind Dale Trilogy as someone else said its good solid DnD. I also enjoyed one of the Harper books The Night Parade as that investigative style of adventure was exactly my cup of Bloodwine.

The Throne or the Tomb!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  17:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite confusing..... Do you mean, how do you adopt a patron deity, or something else?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

RaVeN1463
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:04:33  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN1463's Homepage Send RaVeN1463 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I beLIEve i worded my last post wrong. What i ment was Cyric seems to enjoy talking about Cyric others i have read seem to have a individual god they seem to either support or enjoy talking about. what my question ment to say does everyone have a single God they support or particularly enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, not everyone has a god they follow or enjoy talking about, you can decide yourself if you whant too follow a god or not, but I would advise you too follow Vhaeraun as he do gets more and more followers.
And shadowlord: Artanis, is he one of the chosen?

- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

RaVeN1463
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:10:49  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN1463's Homepage Send RaVeN1463 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes Shadow thats it. i wasnt sure how to put it so i think i gave it to broad a post.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem, Raven, we all word things incorrectly from time to time...... And Ezindir, Arteris is a follower, not a Chosen. I am a chosen. Raven, you may adopt Vhaeraun as your patron. I have already converted Ezindir, Arteris, and my brother, Jezz the Lame. The Masked Lord's clergy continues to grow..... THE DROW SHALL RECLAIM THEIR PLACE IN THE NIGHT ABOVE!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I must have been mistaken, but I tought that I saw some similaryties too Darenth, but anyway thats not really important when we have a possible Vhaeraun follower here.
RaVeN:I would advise you too click on the magic portal too the Vhearaun temple that can be lokatet in my and Shades profile signature.

- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 25 Jan 2004 18:32:54
Go to Top of Page

RaVeN1463
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:56:07  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN1463's Homepage Send RaVeN1463 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Shadow and Ezindir i shall look into Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  19:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, you mean in my forums? Yes, Darenth Ebonblade and Arteris are one in the same. Please journey to my website for your initiation into the faith of Vhaeraun, Raven.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

RaVeN1463
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  19:16:33  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN1463's Homepage Send RaVeN1463 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadow do you have to own or have played Neverwinter to get into Vhaeraun's clergy
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  19:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shadow do you have to own or have played Neverwinter to get into Vhaeraun's clergy

I know that the questiom was not for me, but since Shade is not logged on now I will answer it for you:
No, you do not have too own or play NwN too get in too Vhaerauns Clergy, but we have or own guild in nwn.bioware.com so if you whant to join our guilds and wars against other deitys I think you will need NwN 1 exp. 1 and exp. 2.

- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 25 Jan 2004 19:30:45
Go to Top of Page

RaVeN1463
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  19:39:25  Show Profile  Visit RaVeN1463's Homepage Send RaVeN1463 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you Ezinder
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000