Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 gods
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  06:15:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mind if I butt in?

A portfolio isn't much more than an idea, a concept. It's a lot like a business -- you might say that Microsoft has the portfolio of "easily crashable operating systems." Now, were another company to come along with a better OS, that company would "steal" the portfolio. If this fictional company were to take over Microsoft, then you could say that Microsoft was "killed" and its portfolio was up for grabs -- though, of course, the person killing the god/business would most likely be in the best position to get the porfolio, so it usually goes to the slayer.

In the Forgotten Realms, this has occured several times. As I said, a portfolio isn't much more than an idea, but it's a pretty powerful idea. It gives the possessor certain powers over that domain; sometimes they're obvious (magic) and sometimes less so (intrigue). Mystra's the only god(dess) with the aspect of magic, since she is magic. Theoretically, she's the most powerful of all the gods of all of Toril, which caused some problems when a mortal (Midnight) became Mystra the Second. (She didn't have much of a concept of balance.)

The portfolios can also be altered -- when the mortal Finder Wyvernspur killed Moander, god of decay, Finder absorbed that aspect. However, he's a good guy, and unlike Moander he didn't like rotting things. What he did was alter the aspect and make it a portfolio of "change," employing some things he had had taught to him recently -- that change was good. (He'd previously been of the opinion that no one should change his songs, ever, and they should be played note for note the way he put them down.)

Portfolios can also overlap. Returning to my business analogy, some gods don't have a corner on their markets. For instance, Finder shares the aspect of music with some other gods, though it doesn't exactly overlap. He also has an aspect of being a god of the small colony of saurials on Toril, which other reptile gods would like to steal from him.

When overlap occurs, you have one of two things happening. Either things work out better for the people (each side concentrating on outdoing the other in showing they can take better care of potential worshipers), or a holy war ensues . . . which isn't normally so good for the worshipers. Again, this lends itself easily to the business analogy, though the latter (fortunately) doesn't often happen in the real world. Over time, most overlap has disapeared, with one god or the other coming out on top.

Ao, the mysterious overgod of Toril, has final say over anything that happens in regards to divine balance. If he says a god shouldn't have this or that portfolio, he or she (or it) doesn't have it. When Bane came back, he forced Cyric to give up some of the powers that Ao had previously allowed Cyric to keep. (Cyric originally was a mortal, like Midnight and Finder, and had taken the aspects of Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul to start his career.)

Hopefully this helped.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  15:59:49  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, okay. I get it, I get it.

Thanks for answering the question(s)

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  16:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  16:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say bring on a godwar there are to maney gods lets make the one who are left more powerful. So maney gods, to maney if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  16:34:41  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've been trying to kill a few of them myself, but I can't seem to even be able to get their attention. Maby if I crusade around the lands of Toril, and burn down every Temple devoted to Cyric I'll get his attention.

Ec'Thelion, formerly known as Forgotten One, now known as Ec'Thelion the Overpowered.
Currently not all that active. I'm preoccupied with Warcraft III for the moment. Bite me :P
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  16:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that last sounds like a worthwhile goal.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  16:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most likley his servants wil slay you long befor that and not funney .
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  17:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, maybe not funny, but fun.

And what if he had the aid of an adult mithril dragon? I've got a disentigration cone once every 1d4 rounds!

Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  17:10:44  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Disintegration cone? I wouldn't wanna test my mettle against you. Well... then again I have this handy little ring, made out of Human Bone (Don't ask) wich gives me Immunity to all of those nasty Instant-death effects. (Disintegration, Imprisonment, the works!)

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  20:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye and what about a powerful spellsage cloaked in the Robe of Vecna and wielding the Staff of the Magi Cyric?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  21:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or how about a 25,ooo year old Elven Grand High Mages armed with the Staff of Mystra and capable of transforming into an ancient Gold Dragon at will? No? I thought not.

Wow, its fun picking on the Cyricists. But mostly I think we should have a Godswar to remove the superfluous demigods and lesser deities cramming the cosmic void with their ceaseless maneuverings. We just do not need gods like Finder or Velsharoon. Also, a bit of pantheon consolidation might help, since there are like nine human pantheons on Toril, not counting the Faerunian Super-Pantheon.

Oh and:

quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage:

Why avoid Mystra Edain?
Because she is a brazen harlot who is worthy of neither her name, nor her title. She ought to be cast down to allow a more appropriately Neutral deity to assume guardianship of magic.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  22:42:39  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
25.000 years?

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  00:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to be mean or anything, but you seem to be older than Netheril.......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  00:13:20  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What can I say, some people just have that longevity about them.

Its helpful being quasi-divine.

Shut up.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  00:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, no problem, but just think! Not even Elminster's that old!!!!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  01:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, but he's 1,500 years old, approximately fifteen lifetimes of men. Me, I've lived twenty-five lifetimes of an elf. Its all relative.

Relativity, yeah, that's it. Not someone just trying to justify living way too long. Still, its surprising Edain is not senile yet, although...

*Please note, I am not insane, I just like writing as two different people.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  01:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, Cardinal Deimos did the same thing a while back, writing as two people, but his character was insane......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  02:27:41  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well i think we have a growing arms of Candelkeep more than capapal of dispatching a 'minor' god like Cyric...

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  02:30:12  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, exactly what I was thinking Dracandos! Lets band together against the Prince of Lies!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  14:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bring it on fools, and thats not even funney
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  16:43:55  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh but it is! And Cyric hasn't even taken any notice to uss. I bet we could sneak up on him, and get him before he knows it! Dibs on the protfolio of asassins! He probably not even know it after we killed him. Maby he'll notice it slightly when hes dead, no?

*runs off to make some sort of oddly enchanted weapon*

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  16:57:26  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten One, if you get murder, then I want intrigue! I have to get revenge for my god, Mask! Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  16:59:22  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Murder? Hmmm.... I can settle for that!

Edited by - EcThelion on 29 Jan 2004 16:59:56
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  17:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either way the forces of good would recieve a victory. Better to have a group of squabbling minor evil deities, than to have one powerful deity messing with the cosmic balance.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  18:49:27  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey... while we're at it... can we kill Mystra too? SHure it's nice ot have a diety to worshipp, and all, but I'd much rather like to *be* the diety, if you know what I mean.

Cyric is more powerful than Mystra, no? Shure magic is great and all that, but "Murder, strife, lies, intrigue, deception & illusion" kinda provides a few more worshipers.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  20:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, I want deception, illusion, and lies, just because it emphasizes everything about the drow....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Edited by - Shadowlord on 29 Jan 2004 20:17:17
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  21:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rather be Oghma's successor. Or maybe Azuth's, but Oghma's got that whole teacher/librarian thing . . . . More so than Azuth, anyway.

Bookwyrm, Guardian of Knowledge. It's been a year, but that title still sounds good.

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i do belive Cyric is more powerful then Mystra.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

i do belive Cyric is more powerful then Mystra.

well of course u would

[quote]Originally posted by Forgotten One

Hey... while we're at it... can we kill Mystra too? SHure it's nice ot have a diety to worshipp, and all, but I'd much rather like to *be* the diety, if you know what I mean.
absolutly NOT!!!

Go to Top of Page

EcThelion
Learned Scribe

Norway
323 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  22:42:26  Show Profile  Visit EcThelion's Homepage Send EcThelion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's what I said. There's alot more madness, than magic, out there.

quote:
Alright, I want deception, illusion, and lies, just because it emphasizes everything about the drow....

As long as I get Murder.

EDIT:
What, Dracandos? You wouldn't like to have me as your god? Hmmm... we need to get over that little issue when I thread over her defiled corpse (Just kidding)

Edited by - EcThelion on 29 Jan 2004 22:44:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000