Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Black Granite
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  21:24:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Large-scalar fixed structures, things like castles and pyramids, involve tremendous mass and stresses distributed across many smaller pieces in carefully balanced ways, gravitational forces and even the foundation/terrain are vital components of large structures. A pyramid would simply crumble apart if you somehow gently rested it on a different flat facing.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Castles float in space and the astral and the inner planes. But they are constructed differently, always require magic to sustain their integrity, and they are probably impossible to land on a planet without sustaining massive damage.

Well stresses clearly can be a factor, of the first few pyramids had a few issues in construction as I recall. Castle building the same as pyramid becomes a better skill after the learning curve. You only need to hire an expert and the chance of flawed construction are low.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  22:11:30  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sleyvas wins.

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I opened this thread...
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  17:20:53  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found a thread referencing that the Dragonspire Mountains are quarried for Black Granite. I subsequently suspect that many parts of the Citadel of the Raven are carved from the stuff.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 10 Feb 2013 17:21:49
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  21:19:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mwoohaha the Citadel of the Raven, of course. Darkhold too, I would presume, why not?

Interestingly found in Melvaunt near the Moonsea. Not too far off from the Bloodstone lands and Zhengyi's Tower Perilous.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  00:44:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

<snip> ...and Zhengyi's Tower Perilous.
Otherwise known as 'Chrenshinibon East'?

I just thought of something - maybe Chrenshinibon was really just Zengyi trying to combine the Castle Perilous with a Cinabon franchise.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Feb 2013 00:45:17
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  17:58:27  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Damaran Gate and Vaasan Gate are made of granite (per The Rite)

The Granite Tower is made of "dark black granite" (per The RotA trilogy)

Ancient unnamed elven city located in the Novularond Mountains is made of granite and marble buildings (per Ruin)

that's three canon references located in the Cold Lands region, safe to say Vaasa/Galenas might be a source

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  18:00:28  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Castle Perilous lists it's material as "dark stone" bound in iron but since it was raised in one night by demons hard to say what the material is

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  02:49:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By far the simplest way to get what you are after is magic. If you have it then use it. The biggest expenses in construction are labor and supplies. Both can be easily supplied by magic. Depending how far back you go in rules, the spells might not even be hard to come by. "Create Matter" would accomplish almost everything you need done all on its own, no hassle. Even a moderate level wizard could create sufficient materials to create a castle in a matter of weeks (compared to months or years of mining a quarry). Combined with simple stone shape and telekinesis spells and your castle is done in no time. If you've got elves, just grow your building.

If you are seriously thinking about interstellar transportation of large scale goods / buildings, then I'd suggest there is only one way to accomplish this with "reasonable" prices. That way would be the Arcane, or by extension the Reigar as proxies of the Arcane. I imagine it would not be the first time either groups have responded to a request, especially since both have colonies on worlds lacking the natural supplies to construct their holdings.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  03:38:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey just get a Bard with a Lyre of building *G*
Clearly magic of many kinds can speed construction or construct a structure.

quote:
The lyre is also useful with respect to building. Once a week its strings can be strummed so as to produce chords that magically construct buildings, mines, tunnels, ditches, or whatever. The effect produced in but 30 minutes of playing is equal to the work of 100 humans laboring for three days. Each hour after the first, a character playing the lyre must make a DC 18 Perform (string instruments) check. If it fails, she must stop and cannot play the lyre again for this purpose until a week has passed.

If you get a very good Bard can play though the entire week *EG*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000