Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Navy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  23:26:29  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello...

Im building a navy, and therefore have been looking through a lot of material. We have looked through these books:

Stormwrack
Seafearers Handbook (Legend & Lairs)
Broadsides, Naval Adventure (Living Imagination)

Of the three, I like Broadsides best, but is there some realy good product that I am missing? What do you guys use when bulding navies???

Thanks

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  23:39:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

What do you guys use when bulding navies???

Boats, of course!

Of Ships and the Sea may prove useful to you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  23:44:36  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

What do you guys use when bulding navies???

Boats, of course!

Of Ships and the Sea may prove useful to you.

Thanks...

I cant say I know of that "Of Ships and the sea", can you elaborate?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  00:23:42  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of Ships And the Sea is a 2nd Edition DM supplement - this would be VERY useful.

Also useful would be FOR3 - Pirates of the Fallen Stars. The Sea Of Fallen Stars set also has some material (though it mostly deals with underwater adventuring).

The old Ravenloft adventure Ship of Horror had a great isometric deck plan of a ship in it that I might use as a visual aid.

Finally, as part of the Al-Qadim series, there were two products that dealt with naval adventure. The first was Golden Voyages, and the second was Corsairs of the Great Sea.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  00:26:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of Ships and the Sea

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  02:22:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another useful source for information on particular ships in the Realms... is Port of Ravens Bluff which has an entire section devoted to specifically named ships of various types, and referencing their crews also.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  08:51:45  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I'll get on it as soon as I can!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  16:02:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bireme & Galley, which I can't find ANYWHERE anymore. The most comprehensive list of ship types (with game stats) for every conceivable vessel ever built, up until the late Renaissance.

It was a supplement for C&S, and I owned it up until two years ago. Now, I'm not sure what I would use - I haven't seen anything that comes close to that book. It also came with cut-outs of ship-types to use with miniatures of several of the more popular designs... it was way ahead of its time.

I'd probably turn to the 7th Sea/Swashbuckling Adventures rules at this point. You may also want to checkout the Razor Coast product thats to be released.

I'm building a big seafaring campaign myself ATM (and reading the rather excellent A Mighty Fortress by David Weber for inspiration), so I'll have to be looking into this sort of thing myself very soon (and watching this thread).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Feb 2013 16:04:59
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  02:25:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Bireme & Galley, which I can't find ANYWHERE anymore. The most comprehensive list of ship types (with game stats) for every conceivable vessel ever built, up until the late Renaissance.
I saw a copy on nobleknight.com not too long ago. But then it was quickly sold shortly thereafter before I could grab it myself.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  13:29:33  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While on the topic of navies, does anyone know approximately how many ships Thay and Aglarond can muster in wartime, circa 1357DR?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000