Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cheap Realms ebooks?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  15:36:50  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone noticed this and/or posted about it? I didn't see anything on the first page here, but glancing through my wishlist I noticed that a bunch of Realms books for Kindle are currently on sale for $2.99. No clue why this is, if it's a permanent thing, or just today or who knows, but I thought I'd pass it along if no one has talked about it. Not sure how many it applies to, but I just grabbed Spider & Stone, Brimstone Angels, Shadowbane: Eye of Justice for 2.99 each. There are a bunch more, also (even some older ones -- I saw "Sword Play" pop up for that price).

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal

Captain black
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  19:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Captain black's Homepage Send Captain black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked up a few for myself. If this price stays I may actually switch to more ebooks. So far I have only purchased ones that are ebook only.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  01:16:30  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I had just bought Spider and Stone a few days ago. :(

EDIT: Though I just checked and the prices are at the normal range for me.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 14 Jan 2013 01:22:19
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  13:36:15  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.amazon.com/Elminster-Enraged-Shadowdale-Forgotten-ebook/dp/B007JCD6EE/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1357569284&sr=8-1

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  14:39:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was entirely by happenstance that I learned when EVERMEET was on sale for $2.99. I wish Amazon.com (or WotC) would alert the authors when sales of this nature are about to run so we could spread the word.

For the record, I said "Amazon.com (or WotC)" because I'm not certain who does the price setting. Amazon.com has been known to arbitrarily set prices.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  14:46:01  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

It was entirely by happenstance that I learned when EVERMEET was on sale for $2.99. I wish Amazon.com (or WotC) would alert the authors when sales of this nature are about to run so we could spread the word.

For the record, I said "Amazon.com (or WotC)" because I'm not certain who does the price setting. Amazon.com has been known to arbitrarily set prices.

Out of curiosity, I checked my Kindle page and learned that EVERMEET is still on sale for $2.99. Here's a link. http://www.amazon.com/Evermeet-Island-Forgotten-Stand-Alone-ebook/dp/B0060B6I86/ref=sr_1_13?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1358174422&sr=1-13&keywords=elaine cunningham

Here's a suggestion: Either STICKY this thread or create a new one for FR ebooks on sale. Some authors may wish to post when their books go on sale, and some readers may wish to share news of current bargains. It'd be a handy resource for readers who are building their digital libraries.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  15:17:02  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I find it very telling when a retailer can afford to mark prices down by such a large percentage.

Ayrik, don't overlook the concept of loss leader pricing. Sometimes retailers will price an item at or even below what they paid for it in hope of generating sales for other, similar items. Also, keep in mind that Audible released a flood of Forgotten Realms audio books this week, which are available through Amazon.com. Pricing the ebook versions of a few of these novels at a very low price is a way to make people aware of the audio books.

This is why stores such as Walmart sell very popular hardcover books at deeply discounted prices. They might be breaking even or perhaps even losing money on the sale of each book, but they're betting that once people come into the store, they'll end up buying other things.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  19:53:55  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

[quote]
Out of curiosity, I checked my Kindle page and learned that EVERMEET is still on sale for $2.99. Here's a link. http://www.amazon.com/Evermeet-Island-Forgotten-Stand-Alone-ebook/dp/B0060B6I86/ref=sr_1_13?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1358174422&sr=1-13&keywords=elaine cunningham

I'm starting to think that these promotions are only for people in North America. The book is in the normal price range for me.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  01:01:01  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, I just wanted to purchase Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, which one or two days ago I saw at $2,99.
Problem is: it is not there anymore at all! Only the Audio book, but not the eBook...
And I also figured that there are lots of other FR books, who are only available as audio book now.
Anyone knows if that is is only temporarily?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  01:26:24  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just purchased Bloodwalk, Frostfell, and Stardeep all for $2.99 each

There are more I want so I will probably order more soon :)

Edited by - DragonReader on 16 Jan 2013 01:26:49
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  12:09:53  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The question is more of what didn't I just buy? Heh.
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  13:48:44  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Alright, I just wanted to purchase Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, which one or two days ago I saw at $2,99.
Problem is: it is not there anymore at all! Only the Audio book, but not the eBook...
And I also figured that there are lots of other FR books, who are only available as audio book now.
Anyone knows if that is is only temporarily?

http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbane-Eye-of-Justice-ebook/dp/B007JCC1EU/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1358430468&sr=1-1

For some reason some of them search & JUST show the audiobook, but open up the audiobook page & you'll see links to other formats.

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  02:46:14  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zenmichael, I should have checked back here earlier to see your post, but in the end I figured it out too. Apparently amazon shows only hits for the most expensive SKU for products of the same name. But going into "all versions" on the audio details in the end leads you to the eBook version just as you said. Unfortunately due to this confusing policy I missed out the 2,99 offer and had to purchase Shadowbane at a much higer cost. :-/

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  19:34:27  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you Michael t Bradley from the YouTube channel.if so I'm loving your videos.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  19:48:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

Are you Michael t Bradley from the YouTube channel.if so I'm loving your videos.

He is

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  23:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The prices for some of the older novels are ridiculous. I'm sorry but why the hell am I going to pay full price for a 15 year old novel when I can buy it for a third of the price second hand. WOTC should stop being so greedy.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  07:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

The prices for some of the older novels are ridiculous. I'm sorry but why the hell am I going to pay full price for a 15 year old novel when I can buy it for a third of the price second hand. WOTC should stop being so greedy.
By all means, buy it second hand, then.

I'm not aware of WotC selling its novels directly. Are you talking about pricing on Amazon?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  07:49:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he's talking about used bookstore, garage sale, and flea market sorts of competition. Hard for a publisher to match prices like "3 books for $2" or "any paperback $0.50".

While I agree in thinking that ebooks are often overpriced (cost just as much as paperbacks, seriously, why?), I don't think the evil greedy megacorp can be blamed for aftermarket pricing. That's like blaming Ford for being greedy because a truck at their dealership costs more than a truck on craigslist.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2013 :  12:27:16  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was referring to the prices of older novels in ebook format being so high (on Amazon). I can buy paperback versions a lot cheaper. Sorry for the confusion.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  14:43:38  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I really don't understand is why there are so many successfull Realms novels out of stock for so many years now.
I think I have a dozen on my wishlist that I would buy immedialty if they became available again and I don't see why WotC doesn't reprint them.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  15:51:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

What I really don't understand is why there are so many successfull Realms novels out of stock for so many years now.
I think I have a dozen on my wishlist that I would buy immedialty if they became available again and I don't see why WotC doesn't reprint them.

One of the reasons is limited bookstore shelf space.

When the Borders Books chain closed, we lost nearly one third of bookstore shelf space. Bookstores have been giving more and more space to bestsellers. Publishers pay co-op fees to have new books displayed on tables and shelves near the front of the store. Bookstores are devoting more space to gifts, toys, games, cards, wrapping paper, and other non-book items. With shrinking space and emphasis on new and best-selling titles, backlist books, unless they're selling regularly and well, are less not likely to find a place on the shelves.

A possible solution would be a POD option. Print-on-demand books are more expensive per copy, but it would enable a publisher such as WotC to make all the backlist available to people who want print books and are willing to pay a little extra for them. I doubt it would be too difficult to find a good small-press publisher to handle printing and distribution to ebookstores such as Amazon, Nook, and iBooks.

But is there sufficient reader demand and enough profit margin to make this feasible? I have no idea.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2013 :  16:29:15  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One way to to this is to have people to sign up for books they want and if there are enough people on the list for a specific book, print it.
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  14:39:57  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

Thanks, Swifty! I feel bad I've fallen behind on things here recently. Stupid work getting in the way.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000