Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 what ebook should i get next
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  19:01:15  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've just finished prince of ravens and was wondering what eBook only release I should get next.I want one which isn't a sequel of sorts to any previous paperback release like prince of ravens was.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  21:11:15  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What have you read so far Swifty?
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  22:44:06  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ive read everything pre 4e.ive read no true 4e novels bar prince of ravens.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2013 :  23:44:20  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there really isn't any truly stand alone ebook only novels yet besides Prince of Ravens (and even that one was connected to City of Ravens).

I guess you could try reading Spider and Stone. Its a sequel to Mistshore, but it isn't deeply connected to the first book (but I'd read Mistshore first anyway). Shadowbane, Eye of Justice and Spinner of Lies are all sequels.

The Cold Steel and Secrets novellas are a complete stand alone story, though the price is a bit too high for comfort for the amount of content you get.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 20 Feb 2013 19:50:40
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  09:26:36  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might just read all the paperback 4e stuff first then.cheers.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  09:43:26  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
idk if you have read the older stuff, but if not I'd definitely suggest you turn your attention away from 4th E, except Eds Elminster books of course.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  13:37:51  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read nearly everything pre 4e.ironically the one series I haven't read is the elminster series.it may be controversial but I despise ed greenwoods style of writing.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  17:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To clarify, swifty, my first Shadowbane novel (Downshadow) came out in paperback and ebook, and then its sequels Shadowbane and Shadowbane: Eye of Justice have thus far appeared in ebook only. So if you're big into the ebook thing, that might be a good route.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  18:38:27  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually far more prefer paperback.its just that I can read ebooks quicker due to the fact I've always got my tablet with me.

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  19:52:02  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

idk if you have read the older stuff, but if not I'd definitely suggest you turn your attention away from 4th E, except Eds Elminster books of course.

I really wish people would stop acting like everything 4E is horrible. You're missing out on a lot of great stories.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2013 :  19:59:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:

I really wish people would stop acting like everything 4E is horrible. You're missing out on a lot of great stories.

It's not for everyone. The 4E novels I read were good tales, but the changes to the setting were too jarring for me, and it dramatically affected my enjoyment of the tales themselves.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Feb 2013 21:16:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  00:45:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:

Agreed. I've yet to read a 4e novel that I didn't particularly enjoy. Granted, there have been a rare few that I probably won't read again, but I've found a lot of expansion of the 4e Realmslore covered in these novels.

And with the lack of dedicated sourcebooks covering some of these regions in the 4e-era, the novels are largely all we have to work with in order to learn more about the post-Spellplague Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  01:19:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

I've just finished prince of ravens and was wondering what eBook only release I should get next.I want one which isn't a sequel of sorts to any previous paperback release like prince of ravens was.

to get this scroll almost back on track...

Best ebooks I've read recently were Erik Scott de Bies Shadowbane books and Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Neverwhere

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Feb 2013 01:20:39
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  17:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, being mentioned in the same sentence as Neil Gaiman . . . [koff koff] Sorry, out of breath there for a second.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  19:55:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwhere is fantastic stuff, agreed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  21:57:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. When i think of books/eBooks I enjoyed reading, which make me want to read more.....Erik's name always pops up on my "playlist"......and while I know it wont always rank at this spot (as I gain some distance from it), right here, right now....Neverwhere is the most enjoyable read I can remeber ......ever. And American Gods is just F'ing good stuf too.(I think it helps, that right before I read it I watched Thor and Meet Joe Black ...so that Everytime the old man turned up in that book, I saw(as Odin) and heard(as the businessman from Joe Black) in my mind Sir Anthony Hopkins.....and thats a very good thing

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 22 Feb 2013 22:00:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000