Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Moonsea trading company
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  06:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm currently running Ruins of Adventure. After having conquered/liberated a good part of Phlan, the characters have decided to form a trading company and invested their hard earned loot to buy a small warehouse, wagons, and horses, and plan on sending caravans to the west to Zhentil Keep, the Dales, and Sembia.

I'm preparing an adventure for the characters to help a group of dwarves reclaim a gem mine in the Dragonspine Mountains, which would be an interesting opportunity for the group. They also made arrangements with Cadorna once they help him secure his textile house.

Besides gems/precious metals and textile/clothing, what other goods could they export? And what sort of goods could they bring back to Phlan? I was thinking of weapons and armor, and maybe troops, but what else?

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  10:58:47  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends what alignment your group is, if they are not so good and out for profit, go for slaves and drugs.
If they shy away from those options, how about poisons or if they are more of the good sort, spices or other items that have been the "last hit" in Amn or Waterdeep?

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  12:45:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lumber is an exceedingly rare material on the north coast of the Moonsea. The Quivering Forest is a quickly regenerating source of lumber.

Cut stone would also be something to consider for construction in Phlan...though not a great deal of profit in it.

Salted Fish, artifacts (not magical ones...but collections of history), pottery, pig-iron, horses (from the Ride), wild animals, furs, and other things can all be had in and around Phlan.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  13:23:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pine trees from the Quivering Forest are a preferred choice for the making of ship masts, straight and tall, with the perfect balance of strength and flexibility. A valuable commodity during times of peace or of war, but they are usually only transported by ship or barge, a few at a time to cities with shipyards.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  14:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you've hit on the area's major exports: mineral wealth, furs, cut stone, lumber. Raw materials, basically.

For imports, think of anything "the wild frontier" wouldn't have: any fabric material other than wool (ie: cotton, linen, silk), food (especially fruit [luxury] or grains [staple]), finished goods that they don't have the skilled crafters to complete (ie: furniture, jewelry). Luxury items like spices, incense to disguise body odors, glass, fine china, are also good.

Since your characters don't have a ship, that eliminates much of the bulk shipping of raw materials. They would probably be better off working as "fast carters" transporting either lightweight (ie: gems) or extremely valuable (ie: gold bars or magic) goods out of Phlan and using their above-average speed and group strength to get them through. For the return journey they'd probably want to stick with the lightweight luxury items above (silk, glass, incense, china, spices).

Assuming there's enough of a "rich element" in settled Phlan to support the trade (which I think there is, from what I can remember of Ruins of Adventure), such characters could get very rich very quickly. On the other hand, all it takes is losing that one wagon, or those few mules, and it's all gone. High stakes indeed.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  15:08:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Liquors, spices, messages, and information from distant lands are always valuable, the farther they need to travel the more exotic and profitable they become. Profits can be multiplied by involving other commodities beyond simple "two corner" barter and transport. Much extra gold can be earned by maintaining a regular caravan schedule, and by demonstrating that it is secure against predations. Discretion is always valuable, but perhaps impossible in a small city like Phlan.

But then there's choices to make. Profits and losses are multiplied by choosing the faster but riskier routes. Competing with other merchants can create profits and can create problems. Cooperating with other merchants can erode profit and creates friends. Larger caravans are stronger than smaller caravans, and generally make for more pleasant travelling and more profits ... but also a larger target for larger and more organized attackers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  09:47:11  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aahh, how I love these old styled adventures / mini campaigns.

Just a basic outline, and loads of adventurous options thrown at the party, leaving most of the stuff to their own decision. Not like in (many, not all) the 3 and 3.5 ones, where literally the Dm takes the party at their hands, and carefully guides them from one frickingly tough bashing to the next one until either they or the module are worn out ;) hehe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000