Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  12:17:36  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Just finished Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. A very book book I think I am becoming a fan of his work.
Indeed. One of the best in the epic fantasy genre, IMO. And it has one of the most interesting forms of magic as well.

Who is your favorite character so far?
Agreed. Allomancy has certainly caught my fancy. I like the fact that magic in his books is never the traditional fireballs and lightening bolts variety but always something different and unique.

My favorite character so far would be Kelsier but I also like Breeze a lot. The main character Vin is interesting however she is not particularity likable.
Maybe you’d like her in books 2 and three, when she’s more fleshed out.

Breeze is a good choice. He often provides comic relief even when the situation is so dire. And he and I have something in common: we let others do what we’re too lazy to do ourselves.

Great minds think alike. I too have a similar attitude to work, its not laziness, its efficiency!

As for Vin I am on the second book now and am definitely seeing her in a better light though i still would not call her my favorite. But she has really grown up to be a formidable person since the loss of her mentor and I can respect that.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  17:10:18  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and I must agree with Sage, it was another amazing book by Gaiman.

Now reading A Discourse in Steel by Paul S. Kemp
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  18:59:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and I must agree with Sage, it was another amazing book by Gaiman.

I need to get that one and give it a shot. Still need to read my copy of The Graveyard Book, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bionic Man
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  01:05:14  Show Profile Send Bionic Man a Private Message
The Hammer and the Blade. Really cool.

It's a ::rolls dice:: pleasure to meet you!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  01:41:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Alexander: Virtues of War by Steven Pressfield. Awesomeness.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  02:29:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Any particular part that you enjoyed specifically?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  14:33:45  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Just finished the Well of Ascension, another great book in the Mistborn trilogy. Especially loved the ending.
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  20:42:40  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

... and will start The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Another of Gaiman's finest, I thought. Finished it, in fact, almost in one sitting.

I agree. I loved this book. And of course, always check my feet for holes just in case now.
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  20:43:50  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message
quote:

Discourse is a a good ride. I really like Egil and Nix.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  04:03:21  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Any particular part that you enjoyed specifically?

I can't really say. I thought it was great from start to finish. There were some really great dialog/quotes in the book. I really liked the scene where the voice of the hunger birds as the narrator he can never be happy again in this world.
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2013 :  04:04:40  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

quote:

Discourse is a a good ride. I really like Egil and Nix.

Agreed. I loved the Hammer and the Blade and so far A Discourse in Steel has been even better.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  19:23:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Right now reading a shot in the dark called Altered Carbon. It's something like 500 years into the future, where the technology exists to clone people, and also to back up your consciousness and download it into another body (in fact, this one rich guy travels frequently to Japan, and keeps a spare body over there so he can just beam his mind over).

The main character has been hired by the aforementioned rich guy to investigate what appears to be the rich guy's suicide. Since the rich guy's mind was backed up regularly and he has plenty of clones, he knows he didn't commit suicide. But there are no signs of struggle, he was killed with his own gun, and there are no signs of intrusion...

Not sure where it's going yet, but I'm curious enough to keep going.

Finished this book last night (actually, early this morn; me and getting to bed at a reasonable hour are mutually exclusive concepts). Couple of unexpected twists, and I liked some of the concepts... But not enough to want to read any more books in the series, at least not any time soon.

Started I, Jedi. It's one of the few Star Wars books I've read, and it's a book I quite enjoy. I am feeling a need for the familiar before I dip back into the unread book pile.

Hopefully Ex-Patriots will be delivered before I finish this book, so I can read that one next. After that is the third book in the series, Ex-Communication.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  21:55:06  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
I've been gone for a bit. Since then, I have read:

Stephen King - Salem's Lot
Stephen King - The Shining
Jim Butcher - Turn Coat
Jim Butcher - Changes

I'm working through Jim Butcher - Ghost Story at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  22:19:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

Jim Butcher - Turn Coat
Jim Butcher - Changes

I've not read (or seen the movie of) The Shining, but I like all of the other books you've named here. Salem's Lot, in particular, is one of the better King books, in my opinion.

And I'm a huge fan of the Dresden Files.

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2013 :  18:20:51  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

Jim Butcher - Turn Coat
Jim Butcher - Changes

I've not read (or seen the movie of) The Shining, but I like all of the other books you've named here. Salem's Lot, in particular, is one of the better King books, in my opinion.

And I'm a huge fan of the Dresden Files.

Salem's Lot was great, as was The Shining.

Completely agree on the Dresden Files. What a great series. And boy oh boy is Changes an apt title for the 12th book. Lots of stuff goes down.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  14:59:34  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Finished Hero of the Ages. A spectacular end to an amazing series. The Mistborn series has turned me into a dedicated fan of Mr. Sanderson and I think that this might be the best book of them all.
It was great to read about the characters you have grown to love become mature and confident individuals. As always the ending was something unexpected but satisfying
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2013 :  22:11:09  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished A Discourse in Steel by Paul S. Kemp. Great book...

Now Reading Joyland by Stephen King
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  00:00:45  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
quote:

Finished Hero of the Ages. A spectacular end to an amazing series. The Mistborn series has turned me into a dedicated fan of Mr. Sanderson and I think that this might be the best book of them all.
It was great to read about the characters you have grown to love become mature and confident individuals. As always the ending was something unexpected but satisfying

Agreed. The ending was fantastic, and made me a tried and true follower of Sanderson.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  03:50:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

quote:

Agreed. The ending was fantastic, and made me a tried and true follower of Sanderson.

My future with Sanderson was sealed when I started reading The Way of Kings. I knew this was a writer I'd be following for a long time to come.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  13:07:39  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Renin

quote:

My future with Sanderson was sealed when I started reading The Way of Kings. I knew this was a writer I'd be following for a long time to come.

I also read Way of Kings first. It was indeed a great book and that is what convinced me to try out Mistborn. But it was not until I read the Mistborn trilogy that I really decided that here is an author worth following for all of his books are a pleasure to read.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  13:10:01  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started On Pariah by Dan Abnett. So far it does not seem to be as good as his earlier books but maybe that is because it starts off a little slow which is not something you expect in a warhammer 40000 book.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  06:32:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Indeed. I was not able to deduce who the Hero of Ages is until I reached about half of the book. I really thought and hoped that it would be Vin. Though, essentially, she really was, considering all she has been through and given up for the sake of the greater good.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  16:53:37  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
Starting Cold Days by Jim Butcher.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  17:48:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Finished I, Jedi late last night/early this morn. Started Ex-Patriots, the sequel to zombie/superhero mashup Ex-Heroes. Next will be the third book of the series, Ex-Communication.

I've got a couple other new books to read after that, and I think I'll then revisit Hogwarts.

I've recently started making more productive use of my lunch break at work, which cuts down on casual reading... I think that because of that, I can relax on this year's New Year's resolution, because I've already read approximately three times as many new books as rereads, this year. I shan't be making this resolution again -- I've actually gotten bored with reading only new stuff, and I've been wanting to revisit particular favorites.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  23:04:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading Emperor: The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  03:52:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

I've been meaning to read some of Iggulden's works.

I'd like to know what you thought of Emperor, Entreri, when you're done.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  03:57:45  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Joyland by Stephen King. I really enjoyed this one.

Now Reading Be My Enemy he 2nd book in the Everness series by Ian McDonald
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  15:46:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
So I finally finished of Pariah by Dan Abnett. This book starts off a little slow , the confusion and terror of the protagonist while well portrayed makes for a jumbled reading experience especially since there seems to be around half a dozen factions after her. However the book soon begins to pick up during the middle when some beloved characters from the earlier novels show up and the ending is truly something fans will enjoy.
A word of warning however you will most likely not understand or even like this book much without having read both the Eishenhorn and Ravenor trilogies first
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  23:14:31  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Will do. I've read his 5 book Conqueror series about the Mongolian Khans and thought it was amazing.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  02:45:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Will do. I've read his 5 book Conqueror series about the Mongolian Khans and thought it was amazing.

Oooo! The Conqueror series are the books that first got my interested in Iggulden's work. I've a fascination with Mongolian history -- particularly the Genghis Khan/Khans-era, so any historical-fiction that's set in this period is often a worthwhile read for me.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000