Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  12:50:09  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Started (for the first time) and finished Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Wow, you're a late arrival to that party! Have you already seen the movies?

I generally re-read those books every summer, though with this year's New Year's Resolution to read more new books than re-reads, I don't know that it'll happen this year.

I didn't start reading those books, myself, until sometime after either the 4th or 5th book came out. And I think it was the release of the 6th book when I made the mistake of going to the bookstore... My then-girlfriend (now wife) and I were out and about one eve, and I suddenly wanted to go to the bookstore, because I'd not been in a while... When I had to park a block away, I realized something was up. When we got to the place and saw all the Harry Potter attire and activities, then I realized what was going on. I don't recall if I bought anything that night or not, but we didn't linger overlong -- I already had the book on order from Amazon, and I'm no fan of crowds. I did get a free pair of Harry Potter glasses, though. I'm a huge fan of that which is free.

Well, I always prefer to read series strait through and can't stand waiting a year for the next book to come out. I've seen the movies through Goblet, so I really can't wait to read the books AFTER that point. Thought the book was great and I really appreciate how it probably hooks younger readers onto the fantasy genre.

I think the reason I grew to hate the series by the end (well, middle, I guess) was because I didn't wait and read through them all at once. I loved the first four, but I read the first three back to back and then the fourth came out about a month later. I read through them all again when the fifth came out, but that waiting period probably played a big part in killing the rest from there on out. Or maybe not, it may have just been the books themselves, the fifth and six felt really dragged out to me, and while I despise the second, third, and fourth movies (the first was alright, nothing spectacular, but it worked), I actually liked the 5th and 6th as movies--most likely because they cut out the dull bits whereas I felt like the third and fourth really suffered as movies in that respect.

A guy from work the other day just said to me, "hey you're a nerd, you must have read all the Harry Potter books," and continued to go on for some endless amout of time with no point in sight about how he'd watched all of the movies yet just started reading the books because his girlfriend told him he had to. I've still never seen the last two. That book, particularly the ending, irritated the hell out of me. Talk about fan service, it seemed to go the way it did because that was the ending that would make the largest number of rabid fanfiction girls happiest.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  23:27:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  21:28:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo. I found it quite enjoyable, and quite unlike the movie. Beyond the fact that Dantès was betrayed by Danglars and Mondego (the latter of whom wanted Mercédès for himself), and screwed over by Villefort, pretty much everything else was changed.

I was planning on reading Ex-Patriots next, but I went to the bookstore yesterday... I'd been interested in the book Year Zero for a while, but I rarely buy hardcovers. When I was at Barnes & Noble, I discovered that book in paperback format, and immediately bought it. Now I'm reading it. I'm not sure if Ex-Patriots will be next or the other book I purchased yesterday: In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles (The Fall of Llael Book One).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Jul 2013 21:29:22
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  03:08:03  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
Yeah!
Finished the Twilight War Trilogy!

Bring on the GODBORN!!!!

Off to have some fun with Terry Pratchet and 'Snuff'!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  05:22:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo. I found it quite enjoyable, and quite unlike the movie. Beyond the fact that Dantès was betrayed by Danglars and Mondego (the latter of whom wanted Mercédès for himself), and screwed over by Villefort, pretty much everything else was changed.

I was planning on reading Ex-Patriots next, but I went to the bookstore yesterday... I'd been interested in the book Year Zero for a while, but I rarely buy hardcovers. When I was at Barnes & Noble, I discovered that book in paperback format, and immediately bought it. Now I'm reading it. I'm not sure if Ex-Patriots will be next or the other book I purchased yesterday: In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles (The Fall of Llael Book One).

...And I just finished Year Zero. Slow day at work and a good book -- I did not want to put it down! Of the new books I've read thus far this year, it's in the top three, along with Ready Player One and The Rook.

On to the Iron Kingdoms book.

Edit: The forums and Chrome don't play well together, on my work computer... Somehow I wound up with a smiley where a book title should have been.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Jul 2013 02:00:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  06:43:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Sadly, that's yet to hit my shores.

I understand there's also an e-book IK series that's recently been released as well. By Dave Gross? I need to check that one out also.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  13:15:31  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Reading Cycle of Hatred in the WOW series. Its a decent enough book I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  17:02:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I understand there's also an e-book IK series that's recently been released as well. By Dave Gross? I need to check that one out also.

Yeah, they've done several ebooks, (or at least novellas) but I've not read them yet, not having a proper reader. When I get a tablet, I'll look into them.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  21:06:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  14:13:29  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting 1356 by Bernard Cornwell.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  14:20:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I’m reading (and currently on chapter 11 of) The Ambassador’s Mission, Book 1 of the Traitor Spy trilogy by Trudi Canavan. I like how Trudi gives time to lay some important background information on the setting and the characters, and fans of the Black Magician trilogy would surely appreciate this even more. So much has changed since the Ichani Invasion, yet so much has remained the same as well, and Trudi presents these similarities and stark differences in subtle ways.

It’s a bit touching to see the naiveté and pure heart of a certain novice, Norrin, who would rather give up being a magician than leave his family who badly need his help. It’s a solemn reminder that while corruption seeps through every nook and cranny of Kyralia, particularly Imardin, some people choose to remain a simple yet noble life.

There a couple of new and interesting characters introduced, including Sonea’s son, Lorkin, and his “servant.” And the established characters, especially Sonea, Dannyl, and Cery have been as “busy” as in the previous series, and the roles they don will still, in essence, bring out the best in them, if not yet.

I’ve found one little problem though: the phrase “sent a little magic” to open a door, window, whatnot has been used far too often it’s pointedly grating. Her editor should have noticed this and suggested to exercise variety.

Edit:

Now on chapter 14. Hmm, Lorkin has been acting so like his late father, Akkarin. It is too early to tell yet if that is a good thing or not though.

I wonder what kind of trouble would he and Dannyl find in Sachaka, and I really hope it is something different from what we have seen in the very disappointing The Magician’s Apprentice.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 08 Jul 2013 13:23:45
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  13:59:27  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished The Last Threshold by RAS. Great series. Can't wait for The Companions to see what happens next.

Now reading Wastelands an anthology of post-apocalyptic stories. So far, so good...
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  15:05:26  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
Finished Pratchett's 'Snuff'. Love me some Discworld goodness.

Onto 'Brimstone Angels'. If this character gets to be in the Sundering line, I want to know why!
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2013 :  01:11:47  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Starting Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2013 :  03:16:26  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I've been reading Salute the Dark, book 4 of the Shadow of the Apt series. The series takes place in a world where all of the humans have some of the characteristics of bugs. Beetles, ants, spiders, etc., referred to as Beetle-kinden, ant-kinden, and spider-kinden respectively. Some of them follow the old ways, magic essentially, while others use technology, steam punk esque tech level. The Apt, or those who can use and understand technology, overthrew the magic users at some point before the series starts. The main conflict is the Wasp empire expanding and trying to take over pretty much everything.

The plot goes in a couple different directions. You have things happening on an intelligence agency level while also having major armies clashing with one another. You have the Apt and inapt trying to come together and mesh their resources to stop the Wasps along with the various kinden attempting to change their very nature to suit the situation. There is a magician promising immortality to the Wasp Emperor. And you have an Imperial Artificer who's whole existence revolves around technological advancement via weapons.

I thought the first 3 books were decent when I read them a while ago and this one is good so far.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2013 :  05:22:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, they've done several ebooks, (or at least novellas) but I've not read them yet, not having a proper reader. When I get a tablet, I'll look into them.

Two of the e-books are available as a $5 add-on for the Warmachine Tactics Kickstarter. I pledged extra to include them (and to get all three of the minis I can use as a Cygnar player).

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2013 :  14:20:33  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Just started Spin by Robert Charles Winston. A very interesting novel with a unique plot. Humans are trapped on Earth by some unknown aliens and also time starts to slow down on Earth and so in what seems to be a normal day on Earth ,several years pass in the outside galaxy.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2013 :  04:40:44  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Michael J Sullivan's omnibus Rise of Empire.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2013 :  20:06:36  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message
I am just finishing The Hammer and the Blade, and then I will charge into Discourse in Steel by Kemp. I think that should get me to The Companions release date.:)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2013 :  20:36:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Started Alexander: The Virtues of War by Steven Pressfield.

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  02:58:50  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished Wastelands and will start The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  03:58:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

... and will start The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Another of Gaiman's finest, I thought. Finished it, in fact, almost in one sitting.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  04:37:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Two of the e-books are available as a $5 add-on for the Warmachine Tactics Kickstarter. I pledged extra to include them (and to get all three of the minis I can use as a Cygnar player).

Sounds good. I'm seriously considering backing this as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  04:57:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Sounds good. I'm seriously considering backing this as well.

I didn't notice, originally, that there's a $10 add-on for 5 ebooks -- the two from the $5 add-on and three others.

And oh, holy mother of Lurue, just about all of those journeymen warcasters are so sweet! Allison Jakes is just one point more than the standard Journeyman Warcaster solo, but for that one point, she gets one more point of Focus and some nifty abilities. Can't wait to have her driving a Hunter across the field.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  12:20:48  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Just finished Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. A very book book I think I am becoming a fan of his work.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  15:03:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Just finished Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. A very book book I think I am becoming a fan of his work.
Indeed. One of the best in the epic fantasy genre, IMO. And it has one of the most interesting forms of magic as well.

Who is your favorite character so far?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  15:11:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I’m reading (and currently on chapter 11 of) The Ambassador’s Mission, Book 1 of the Traitor Spy trilogy by Trudi Canavan. I like how Trudi gives time to lay some important background information on the setting and the characters, and fans of the Black Magician trilogy would surely appreciate this even more. So much has changed since the Ichani Invasion, yet so much has remained the same as well, and Trudi presents these similarities and stark differences in subtle ways.

It’s a bit touching to see the naiveté and pure heart of a certain novice, Norrin, who would rather give up being a magician than leave his family who badly need his help. It’s a solemn reminder that while corruption seeps through every nook and cranny of Kyralia, particularly Imardin, some people choose to remain a simple yet noble life.

There a couple of new and interesting characters introduced, including Sonea’s son, Lorkin, and his “servant.” And the established characters, especially Sonea, Dannyl, and Cery have been as “busy” as in the previous series, and the roles they don will still, in essence, bring out the best in them, if not yet.

I’ve found one little problem though: the phrase “sent a little magic” to open a door, window, whatnot has been used far too often it’s pointedly grating. Her editor should have noticed this and suggested to exercise variety.

Edit:

Now on chapter 14. Hmm, Lorkin has been acting so like his late father, Akkarin. It is too early to tell yet if that is a good thing or not though.

I wonder what kind of trouble would he and Dannyl find in Sachaka, and I really hope it is something different from what we have seen in the very disappointing The Magician’s Apprentice.
After one week of break, I’ve finally resumed reading this. I’m now halfway through. While the progress in Sacahaka has been (mildly) entertaining, I’m still seeing the same problem that plagued The Magician’s Apprentice: unnecessary repetitions of scenes. How many times must the Guild conduct meetings to solve this and that? It probably wouldn’t matter that much if Trudi just mentions them in passing and delves more into the characters’ lives outside the Guild Hall.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  10:19:14  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Indeed. One of the best in the epic fantasy genre, IMO. And it has one of the most interesting forms of magic as well.

Agreed. Allomancy has certainly caught my fancy. I like the fact that magic in his books is never the traditional fireballs and lightening bolts variety but always something different and unique.
My favorite character so far would be Kelsier but I also like Breeze a lot. The main character Vin is interesting however she is not particularity likable.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  17:00:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed. Allomancy has certainly caught my fancy. I like the fact that magic in his books is never the traditional fireballs and lightening bolts variety but always something different and unique.

My favorite character so far would be Kelsier but I also like Breeze a lot. The main character Vin is interesting however she is not particularity likable.
Maybe you’d like her in books 2 and three, when she’s more fleshed out.

Breeze is a good choice. He often provides comic relief even when the situation is so dire. And he and I have something in common: we let others do what we’re too lazy to do ourselves.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2013 :  01:30:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Right now reading a shot in the dark called Altered Carbon. It's something like 500 years into the future, where the technology exists to clone people, and also to back up your consciousness and download it into another body (in fact, this one rich guy travels frequently to Japan, and keeps a spare body over there so he can just beam his mind over).

The main character has been hired by the aforementioned rich guy to investigate what appears to be the rich guy's suicide. Since the rich guy's mind was backed up regularly and he has plenty of clones, he knows he didn't commit suicide. But there are no signs of struggle, he was killed with his own gun, and there are no signs of intrusion...

Not sure where it's going yet, but I'm curious enough to keep going.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000