Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  20:02:33  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

I've been eyeing the Malazan series for a long time and am into Deadhouse Gates ATM. They aren't easy reads, by any stretch. I really enjoy his writing though; his worldbuilding skills are mindblowing.

From someone wanting to make a dent into Erikson's work (and Easlemont's), would welcome any advice or encouragement about proceeding from here :)

Just keep at it. Things start making more sense by the 3rd book. Use the Dramatis Personae when you need to, but don't overthink and try to understand every little thing. Understanding will come in time as the setting and characters become familiar.

I'd also say to read the Esslemont stuff alongside the Book of the Fallen stuff, using the publication date as a guideline as to when to read which book. There's some major plot points in them (if Return of the Crimson Guard is anything to go by), and are considered just as important to the story as Erikson's books.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  20:04:07  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

quote:

quote:

Finished Book 7 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen: Reaper's Gale. Wow! I loved this book and continue to be amazed at the truly massive and well scripted story that Steven Erikson has created.

Seconded. Reapers Gale is one of my all time favorite books.

Have you completed the whole series yet?

Ahh I finished the whole book of the fallen series but am only halfway through the Malazan Empire series. Needed a break after Stonewielder.

I've been reading the books in order of publication. So I have finished up to Reaper's Gale in Book of the Fallen, and just completed Return of the Crimson Guard in the Malazan Empire series. I'll be onto Toll The Hounds next, but have taken a small break from the series. I'll probably get to it after 1-2 more books.

I read Esslemont's first Malazan Empire Book Night of Knives before I had read any of the Erikson books. Needless to say, I didn't really know what was going on since I had none of the backstory from Erikson's books. I will finish up the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and then read all of the Malazan Empire books, including a re-read of Night of Knives.

Yeah, I bet that was pretty confusing. Of course, Gardens of the Moon was pretty confusing when I started it too. Not to mention, I imagine it ruined a few "surprises" in the main series too.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  02:37:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Well, at least you guys read them in order. I didn't. So just imagine my confusion. Hehe. For its deceptive simplicity and for being a explosive opening to a 'big' series, Deadhouse Gates continues to be favorite (so far), and Dust of Dreams, the least.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  13:47:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Well, at least you guys read them in order. I didn't. So just imagine my confusion. Hehe. For its deceptive simplicity and for being a explosive opening to a 'big' series, Deadhouse Gates continues to be favorite (so far), and Dust of Dreams, the least.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. After reading Dust of Dreams I had to take a year long break from this series in spite of the fact that I read each book back to back before.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  16:38:57  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I wholeheartedly agree with that. After reading Dust of Dreams I had to take a year long break from this series in spite of the fact that I read each book back to back before.

I generally read 2-3 at a time, followed by a few non Malazan books. I just feel the need to step away from it for a bit, especially considering the length of each book. Three malazan books means well over 3000 pages for the mass markets, and upwards of 2200 for the hardcovers.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  17:11:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

quote:

I generally read 2-3 at a time, followed by a few non Malazan books. I just feel the need to step away from it for a bit, especially considering the length of each book. Three malazan books means well over 3000 pages for the mass markets, and upwards of 2200 for the hardcovers.

Plus, those mass market paperbacks get difficult to hold/read because of the sheer thickness of them...especially for me since I am OCD about not damaging the spines on my paperbacks.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  18:02:20  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
I'm reading The Dreamthief's Daughter by Michael Moorcock. Count Ulric von Bek of Saxony is visited by his cousin, Gaynor, who comes demanding that von Bek hand over the family sword, Ravenbrand. Gaynor is accompanied by a Nazi named Klosterheim, and its revealed that Gaynor fervently believes in Adolf Hitler's mission. The sword is the property of Germany, according to Gaynor. When von Bek refuses to give it up, he's sent to a concentration camp.

Operatives from an anti-Nazi group break von Bek out of the camp; von Bek evades the Nazis by escaping into the Mittlemarch. However, Gaynor soon finds von Bek and reveals that he wants to manipulate the Lords of Law and the Dukes of Hell to create a perfect Mulitverse. Good stuff. Epic.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:36:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

I'm reading The Dreamthief's Daughter by Michael Moorcock. Count Ulric von Bek of Saxony is visited by his cousin, Gaynor, who comes demanding that von Bek hand over the family sword, Ravenbrand. Gaynor is accompanied by a Nazi named Klosterheim, and its revealed that Gaynor fervently believes in Adolf Hitler's mission. The sword is the property of Germany, according to Gaynor. When von Bek refuses to give it up, he's sent to a concentration camp.

Operatives from an anti-Nazi group break von Bek out of the camp; von Bek evades the Nazis by escaping into the Mittlemarch. However, Gaynor soon finds von Bek and reveals that he wants to manipulate the Lords of Law and the Dukes of Hell to create a perfect Mulitverse. Good stuff. Epic.

The Dreamthief's Daughter doesn't sound like a book I would enjoy, but in the future you might want to use SPOILER tags before you summarize a book on here in case others were planning on reading it.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 08 Jan 2013 19:36:56
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  21:05:04  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I made it out to the book store so I was able o pick up Star Wars: Scoundrels. I've only read a few pages of it so far but Timothy Zahn hasn't ever let me down with a SW book so I'm confident it will be good, even if it doesn't seem like it will feature his usual cast of characters (Thrawn, Mara Jade, etc).

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  22:14:39  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I made it out to the book store so I was able o pick up Star Wars: Scoundrels. I've only read a few pages of it so far but Timothy Zahn hasn't ever let me down with a SW book so I'm confident it will be good, even if it doesn't seem like it will feature his usual cast of characters (Thrawn, Mara Jade, etc).

I picked up Scoundrels this week and am already half way through. It's my first crack into the SW novels - am going to tackle Thrawn trilogy next. It's a thrilling Oceans 11 type ride with multiple arcs. Fast paced too.

So far, so good.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/

Edited by - 9thChapter on 08 Jan 2013 22:16:03
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  22:29:24  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message
quote:

About to finish the Erevis Cale series (including all short stories from Dragon, Halls of Stormweather, and Realms of Dragons). Yet to tackle Twilight War trilogy.

Question for the group, should I complete the Sembia series, with all of its authors or branch out into something else in the Realms? I am a sucker for completing a storyline and love series. Great writing is a must, however :)

I also have an interest in tackling Mistress of the Night (Bassingthwaite and Gross) - Priests #6 I believe.

Meanwhile, outside of the Realms...

I picked up Timothy Zahn's latest Star Wars book - Scoundrels - and am keen to get into it; my first Star Wars novel! I heard that Zahn's Thrawn trilogy is a must read so will likely jump on them next.

I really liked the Sembia series. I wouldn't say I loved all the books, but I thought they were very successfully tied together without contradicting one another, and absolutely loved the way they painted the setting. A couple of the stories did stand out, but overall I felt the sum was much greater than the parts.

Taking a break from fiction to read Christopher Hitchens' God is Not Great.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  00:22:40  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Book 5 of the Chronicles of Amber, The Courts of Chaos. Taking a break from Amber and jumping back into the Malazan Book of the Fallen with Toll the Hounds.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  00:57:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

quote:

About to finish the Erevis Cale series (including all short stories from Dragon, Halls of Stormweather, and Realms of Dragons). Yet to tackle Twilight War trilogy.

Question for the group, should I complete the Sembia series, with all of its authors or branch out into something else in the Realms? I am a sucker for completing a storyline and love series. Great writing is a must, however :)

I also have an interest in tackling Mistress of the Night (Bassingthwaite and Gross) - Priests #6 I believe.

Meanwhile, outside of the Realms...

I picked up Timothy Zahn's latest Star Wars book - Scoundrels - and am keen to get into it; my first Star Wars novel! I heard that Zahn's Thrawn trilogy is a must read so will likely jump on them next.

I really liked the Sembia series. I wouldn't say I loved all the books, but I thought they were very successfully tied together without contradicting one another, and absolutely loved the way they painted the setting. A couple of the stories did stand out, but overall I felt the sum was much greater than the parts.
That's kind of the way I felt about the "Sembia" series as well. Though, Halls of Stormweather was probably my favourite from the lot.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  04:31:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Just started the third book of the Codex Alera, Cursor's Fury.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  04:42:27  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I picked up Scoundrels this week and am already half way through. It's my first crack into the SW novels - am going to tackle Thrawn trilogy next. It's a thrilling Oceans 11 type ride with multiple arcs. Fast paced too.

So far, so good.

The Thrawn Trilogy is pretty good (a fair number would argue they are the best of the SW books). There are a few things that don't quite line up with how the movies depicted the Clone Wars but the books were written before the Special Editions, much less the Prequels. I would almost recommend reading Outbound Flight first (and then maybe Tatooine Ghost) because it sets up a few of the characters and sets up some of the background that is mentioned in the Thrawn Trilogy. Zahn has 2 other books that take place before the Thrawn Trilogy, Allegiance and Choices of One. You might want to read them before hand but I don't think they add much as they were written after and follow some characters that I don't believe make any other appearances in later stories, unlike Outbound Flight which sets up some very important points of the Thrawn Trilogy even though it was written after.

If you are looking for some other general recommendations for SW, I would look into Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, Darth Plagueis, and Labyrinth of Evil by James Luceno. For these three they seemed to have hired him to make aspects of the prequels make sense and I think he largely pulls it off. Death Star is decent and provides and an interesting look into the construction of and life aboard the first Death Star up until that fateful moment. The Darth Bane trilogy follows Darth Bane as he sets up the Rule of Two and seeks to find a worthy apprentice. Other than those, I also recommend the X-Wing series.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  07:44:17  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
Thanks Tyrant!

Finished Scoundrels tonight so off to update my Goodreads To Read pile with these.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  09:11:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I suppose it's because of the sheer size of it and the inclusion of so many characters I'd rather see die or get mutilated, and Erikson's barrage of (redundant) philosophical musings. I didn't hate it, though. There's still enough fun sprinkled all throughout. But unlike the first book, it just didn't grab me that much.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  09:48:06  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I suppose it's because of the sheer size of it and the inclusion of so many characters I'd rather see die or get mutilated, and Erikson's barrage of (redundant) philosophical musings. I didn't hate it, though. There's still enough fun sprinkled all throughout. But unlike the first book, it just didn't grab me that much.

The main problem was that the book felt over long and he repeated himself way too often. Same musings, same dialogues just different characters and as you pointed out the characters were all annoying.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  09:53:25  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on Brimstone Angels : Lesser evils.
Looking forward to reading about what troubles the tiefling two will get into this time.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  13:51:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The main problem was that the book felt over long and he repeated himself way too often. Same musings, same dialogues just different characters and as you pointed out the characters were all annoying.

You guys aren't making me excited about this one!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  14:41:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Just let us know what you think of it after you read it. I'm having a feeling though that your comment/review of the said book would make me say, "I told you so."

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  15:15:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

Just let us know what you think of it after you read it. I'm having a feeling though that your comment/review of the said book would make me say, "I told you so."

Will do. I am only 80 pages into Toll the Hounds but I will say (SPOILER): that it is definitely nice to see Anomander Rake back on the pages again after a several thousand page lapse.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 09 Jan 2013 15:16:30
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  08:28:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I just finished I Want To Be Naughty, I'm A Bad Kid, But That's Okay Isn't It?, and I Don't Dislike You by Mei Sakuraga. Towa and Mikado's story is cute. But Shinonome and Yukimura's is way better. The seemingly opposite poles actually share so many things in common. I'm now on Volume 4, If It Isn't Love...

Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  18:42:35  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
Stephen King - Full Dark, No Stars

After this, I might dive back into Malazan with Toll The Hounds.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  00:04:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
1/4 through Toll the Hounds and taking a quick break to read my first Realms book in almost a year: Scream of Stone

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 11 Jan 2013 00:04:39
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  22:32:57  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I finished Star Wars: Scoundrels. I enjoyed the book. Definitely could've been called Solo's 11 (or however many guys they had). Solo and an assortment of conmen are trying to steal from a Black Sun sector chief who happens to be hosting one of the Black Sun Vigos. There is also some involvement by Imperial Intelligence. There's a whole lot of second guessing by just about everyone as they all try to figure out where everyone stands and stay one step ahead of everyone else. The final pages also reveal the other game being played and the mastermind behind it, and it's a satisfying reveal so don't read the last page until you get to it.

Now I think I am going to finish the short stories in When The Hero Comes Home. I concentrated on Realms authors when I first picked up so now I will finish it. After that it will either be back to Realms back log or I will buy a copy of When The VIllain Comes Home. Somewhere in our lack of new Realms novels I will possibly attempt to tackle the SW:NJO series as it is one of the major chunks of Star Wars that I haven't touched at all.

-The Sith Code

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  23:35:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Scream of Stone, meh

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  08:59:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I saw this at a used bookstore. I browsed through a couple of pages, and I thought it's an okay gift to the gamers' female friends or girlfriends.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  11:06:13  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on Mistress of the Empire by Raymond Feist, looking forward to the finale of a great trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  01:47:36  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message
Just started the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. Really enjoying it so far.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000