Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  02:52:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Started on Ghostwalker by Erik Scott De Brie. A good book so far.

a damn fine book indeed! I need to bump it up the re-read stack

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  02:55:59  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

First book I read this year will be Dragons of Autumn Twilight (working on it now)...then the next two in the Dragonlance Chronicles. I usually don't read beyond those three in Krynn's setting...it ends the way I think it should and I don't like changing that...
So you'd never read "The Lost Chronicles" trilogy, also by Weis & Hickman, and composed much later? It's a trilogy that focuses on some of the more "skipped over" events of the original trilogy -- like the search for the Hammer of Kharas, the events at Icewall, and Raistlin's transformation.

On my next re-read of DL i will read the origianl chronicles, as well as the "lost chronicles" and Test of the Twins, raist and Caramon novels....then call it a day, the rest of my DL novels are boxed up and ready for a bookmonger. The whole Mina and disappearing Krynn spoiled everything but the original core DL for me.

You're only reading Test of the Twins? What about the other two books of the "Legends" trilogy?

well it's been long enough since i have read them that I has remembered the series as Test of the Twins!

Which if you think of it sounds like a title that Paul S Kemp could work wonders with

So yes Sage, I will read the entire Legends Series, the Annotated version of course

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  02:57:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Neverwhere.....finally allowed myself to pick it back up and devoured it. Man that book went fast........easily one of my all time favorite fantasynovels.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 04 Jan 2013 02:58:42
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  04:02:44  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
About to finish the Erevis Cale series (including all short stories from Dragon, Halls of Stormweather, and Realms of Dragons). Yet to tackle Twilight War trilogy.

Question for the group, should I complete the Sembia series, with all of its authors or branch out into something else in the Realms? I am a sucker for completing a storyline and love series. Great writing is a must, however :)

I also have an interest in tackling Mistress of the Night (Bassingthwaite and Gross) - Priests #6 I believe.

Meanwhile, outside of the Realms...

I picked up Timothy Zahn's latest Star Wars book - Scoundrels - and am keen to get into it; my first Star Wars novel! I heard that Zahn's Thrawn trilogy is a must read so will likely jump on them next.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  04:19:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

About to finish the Erevis Cale series (including all short stories from Dragon, Halls of Stormweather, and Realms of Dragons). Yet to tackle Twilight War trilogy.

Question for the group, should I complete the Sembia series, with all of its authors or branch out into something else in the Realms? I am a sucker for completing a storyline and love series. Great writing is a must, however :)

I also have an interest in tackling Mistress of the Night (Bassingthwaite and Gross) - Priests #6 I believe.

I picked up Timothy Zahn's latest Star Wars book - Scoundrels - and am keen to get into it; my first Star Wars novel! I heard that Zahn's Thrawn trilogy is a must read so will likely jump on them next.

Go for the Sembia series. I personally didn't really care much for the Priests series, and there are only 4 books in it.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  10:15:14  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

The Sembia series is good but you can just read Shadows Witness and skip the rest if your interest is only in Cale. However as many of these characters are present in the Twilight war series I would recommend that you read it.
As for Star Wars , congrats from a fellow fan on starting, but Scoundrels is the latest book to come out in a very long series, I hope you are able to follow the story properly.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  14:58:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Forgot my current "Throneroom" reading: Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daniken...I don't think I've ever read a book that asked so many questions of the reader!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  16:35:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Forgot my current "Throneroom" reading: Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daniken...I don't think I've ever read a book that asked so many questions of the reader!

I love that show on the History Channel: Ancient Aliens. It's very interesting because even if you don't believe in life on other planets, it's hard to argue some of the vast coincidences and facts that are mentioned on the show.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  17:50:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
I've completed The Thursday War by Karen Traviss and have moved on to Elminster Enraged by you know who.

I'm also reading Seth Parker's Scrapbook and reading Steve Martin's The Pleasure of My Company to my wife at bedtime.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  18:41:36  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message
quote:

I personally enjoyed Mistress of the night, and think it's the best of the Priest's series. Well, I am kind of partial to werewolves and Our Lady of Silver.

Welcome to Star Wars fiction! Zahn's books are some of the best. Other authors to pick up are Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston. You may want to try the X-wing series as well - some of my fave Star Wars novels.

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  18:44:04  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
quote:

quote:

The Sembia series is good but you can just read Shadows Witness and skip the rest if your interest is only in Cale. However as many of these characters are present in the Twilight war series I would recommend that you read it.
As for Star Wars , congrats from a fellow fan on starting, but Scoundrels is the latest book to come out in a very long series, I hope you are able to follow the story properly.

Thanks. I thought Scoundrels filled the gap on what Han was doing after the destruction of the first Death Star in Ep IV to try and pay off Jabba. Didn't know it was part of a series. I hope I can follow it too :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  18:59:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

It sounds like a good book, and one I'd be interested in, myself... Does it build on prior novels, or is this purely a "between the movies" book, with few connections to prior novels?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  19:08:00  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It sounds like a good book, and one I'd be interested in, myself... Does it build on prior novels, or is this purely a "between the movies" book, with few connections to prior novels?

AFAIK Scoundrels is a between the movies book. Haven't cracked the spine yet...looking forward to diving into the SW universe (bit of a change up from FR). I think the two go well together.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  20:20:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

AFAIK Scoundrels is a between the movies book. Haven't cracked the spine yet...looking forward to diving into the SW universe (bit of a change up from FR). I think the two go well together.

Ah, good. I've only read one Star Wars book that wasn't a Zahn book, and I'm behind on those by a book or two. Good to know that this one won't require knowledge of prior tales.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  01:33:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

You really don't need any knowledge of the majority of the EU material. Jeff Grubb does an admirable job on ensuring that Scoundrels is reader-friendly in terms of those who may not be up-to-date on the vast EU supporting background.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  03:06:32  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Now reading A Feast of Crows, book #4 of A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  10:11:45  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ahh sorry about that I confused it with Crucible, another new release.
You should be able to enjoy this novel as long as you have seen the movies. Its only preceded by less important novels such as the Han Solo trilogy or the Lando Calrissian adventures.
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  11:26:33  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message
Slightly past halfway with [i]Brimstone Angels[i] and enjoying it so far. Lots of intrigue, fiends and 'hellish' lore...and Selune!

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  04:35:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Book 7 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen: Reaper's Gale. Wow! I loved this book and continue to be amazed at the truly massive and well scripted story that Steven Erikson has created.

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  04:54:42  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message
I am 3/4ths through Silver Shadows. I tend to like to finish off a series before I pick up something else. I kinda has a little CDO about it (no one with OCD calls it that since the letters are out of order..)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  11:25:53  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Finished Book 7 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen: Reaper's Gale. Wow! I loved this book and continue to be amazed at the truly massive and well scripted story that Steven Erikson has created.

Seconded. Reapers Gale is one of my all time favorite books.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  12:56:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

I'm reading Mage's Blood, Book 1 of The Moontide Quartet by David Hair. I'm now on Chapter 14.

This is not your usual epic fantasy, where a bunch of nobodies-turned-powerful-wizards-and-warriors is thrown against a formidable force of darkness. This is about two very different groups of people from two gigantic continents who are not only divided by the seas, but also by their ideals, power, arrogance, and their perception of what is right and wrong.

The coming of age story of Alaron is not the usual orphan-turned-most-powerful mage in the world... His inadequacy in magical powers, he compensates for his dangerously curious mind and unflagging perseverance.

There is a strong emphasis on the roles of women that is not commonly present in this genre: the Queen-Regent Cera, the battle-mage Elena, the wife of an ancient and powerful mage, Ramita, and the “evil” Living Saint Mater-Imperia, Lucia. Each of them “moves” the world as they see fit. The last one you'd probably love to hate. Unfortunately, in more than one occasion, she appears ridiculously cartoonish.

The mages (Ascendants, purebloods, and even half-bloolds) are virtually gods here. I haven't yet decided if it's a good or bad thing; (no single mage has yet split the two continents using his bare hands). What I like about the nature of their powers is that they're not exactly tethered to some divine entity, despite the claims of many. Their system of magic is similar to that of The Forgotten Realms. It's divided into four major types, each of which is divided into another four sub-types.

The not so good part (so far) is that the places, customs, and names are taken straight from the real world: Yuros (Europe), Antiopia (Asia), Hebusalim (Jerusalem), shihad (jihad), crusade and raja (well, obviously as what they are), wedding practices mirroring those of India, Ahm (Islam), Sabbadai (Sabbath), and even the names of days (Torsdai, Freyadai) and months (Octen, Noveleve, Decore) . I prefer my epic fantasy to be as different from the real world as possible. Though, eventually I just resigned myself to the idea. Some novels feature multiple Earths; I simply like to think of this as one of those...

David Hair deftly relates all the characters, and with rich details, he sets the stage and establishes the points where they converge.

In a way, this book is like Malazan meets A Song of Ice and Fire.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2013 :  13:59:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Have you completed the whole series yet?

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  13:36:01  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahh I finished the whole book of the fallen series but am only halfway through the Malazan Empire series. Needed a break after Stonewielder.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  15:12:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

This is a decent cover of Magician's End. Though I don't think it's the official. It has the wrong subtitle: Chaoswar, not Demonwar, and Book Three, not Four. And of course, Pug should be in the center. This is supposed to be his "end" (whatever that means), not Tomas's.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  17:03:44  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahh I finished the whole book of the fallen series but am only halfway through the Malazan Empire series. Needed a break after Stonewielder.

I've been reading the books in order of publication. So I have finished up to Reaper's Gale in Book of the Fallen, and just completed Return of the Crimson Guard in the Malazan Empire series. I'll be onto Toll The Hounds next, but have taken a small break from the series. I'll probably get to it after 1-2 more books.
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  17:51:57  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
I've been eyeing the Malazan series for a long time and am into Deadhouse Gates ATM. They aren't easy reads, by any stretch. I really enjoy his writing though; his worldbuilding skills are mindblowing.

From someone wanting to make a dent into Erikson's work (and Easlemont's), would welcome any advice or encouragement about proceeding from here :)

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  17:58:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:

I've been eyeing the Malazan series for a long time and am into Deadhouse Gates ATM. They aren't easy reads, by any stretch. I really enjoy his writing though; his worldbuilding skills are mindblowing.

From someone wanting to make a dent into Erikson's work (and Easlemont's), would welcome any advice or encouragement about proceeding from here :)

I just finished the 7th book Reaper's Gale and can tell you that even though the series is a little difficult to follow in the beginnning, it's well worth the patience. This series did not really take off for me until the 4th book, and so far the 3rd book has probably been my least favorite. However, books 4-7 REALLY start to build up the action and plot as more of the story is revealed. One thing I would recommend it to use the index/glossary any time you come across and new name for characters and especially for the warrens/holds. Some of them have some strange names and this makes it a little easier to grasp. Good luck with the series!

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 07 Jan 2013 18:00:01
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:01:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading Roger Zelazny's The Hand of Oberon.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2013 :  18:27:32  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've been reading the books in order of publication. So I have finished up to Reaper's Gale in Book of the Fallen, and just completed Return of the Crimson Guard in the Malazan Empire series. I'll be onto Toll The Hounds next, but have taken a small break from the series. I'll probably get to it after 1-2 more books.

I read Esslemont's first Malazan Empire Book Night of Knives before I had read any of the Erikson books. Needless to say, I didn't really know what was going on since I had none of the backstory from Erikson's books. I will finish up the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and then read all of the Malazan Empire books, including a re-read of Night of Knives.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000