Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2013)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 47

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  01:19:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Delete Topic
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:
It will be a bit sad to see it go but it is kind of out of date now.
Agreed. I love these kinds of discussions, because I'm always finding new books that I wasn't aware that I can eventually add to my stacks.
I suggest the year (2011) be removed, and just seal it when it reaches 100, just like any other threads.

Perhaps.

Though I'd rather just start the whole scroll fresh, I think, and prepare the platform for all kinds of new discussions.
And, thus, I give you the 2013 scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  01:22:21  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message
Got to wait for new books to come out in print.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  02:34:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
I LOVE that new scroll smell!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  05:14:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm now reading Furies of Calderon. I've only read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, so this is totally new for me. I'm going to read these six books, and then Lurue only knows what's next.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  06:04:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I've only just purchased Furies of Calderon as an e-book on my SagePhone. I'm hoping it'll be my "Read-On-The-Way-To-Work" book once these holidays are done with.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  07:22:35  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message
Failed at making sure to be done with song of the saurials by New Years. It's been stupidly busy at work, it's interfering with me falling asleep after 20 pages.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  09:40:25  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Halfway through Darth Plagueis and I have to say this is one of the best Star Wars novels in years.
James Luceno is a veteran author of the SW universe but he has really outdone himself this time. It really lets you see things from the perspective of the Dark Side.
"Sigh", if only Plagueis had survived that his upstart apprentice Sidious would not have ruined the Grand plan of the Sith.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  14:14:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I've only just purchased Furies of Calderon as an e-book on my SagePhone. I'm hoping it'll be my "Read-On-The-Way-To-Work" book once these holidays are done with.

I've had like 4 of the 6 books for a while, but I'm just now finally getting to them.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  15:06:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Halfway through Darth Plagueis and I have to say this is one of the best Star Wars novels in years.
James Luceno is a veteran author of the SW universe but he has really outdone himself this time. It really lets you see things from the perspective of the Dark Side.
"Sigh", if only Plagueis had survived that his upstart apprentice Sidious would not have ruined the Grand plan of the Sith.

Actually, if you read the short story from one of the 2012 issues of Star Wars Insider which features a tale about Plagueis and his own Sith Master [Darth Tenebrous] and works as a prequel of sorts for the book, you'll see that it wasn't so much that Sidious messed things up. It was really something of a flawed plan to begin with.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  17:19:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
First book I read this year will be Dragons of Autumn Twilight (working on it now)...then the next two in the Dragonlance Chronicles. I usually don't read beyond those three in Krynn's setting...it ends the way I think it should and I don't like changing that...

I'm also reading "The Hobbit" with my kids so that they understand the book from the movie.

I'll then be reading Lesser Evils by Erin M. Evans...

Not sure what will come after that.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  20:28:35  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber. I thought it was a superbly weird/interesting book and intrigued me enough to continue the series with Book 2 The Guns of Avalon before finishing up Reaper's Gale!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 01 Jan 2013 21:24:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  22:29:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm now reading Furies of Calderon. I've only read Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, so this is totally new for me. I'm going to read these six books, and then Lurue only knows what's next.

Just finished this book, and I'm eager to start the next one. Unfortunately, I'm at work*, and I didn't think to bring Book 2 with me. So I'll be reading some manga and whatever files on my computer grab my interest -- I've certainly got plenty of those.

*Got a weird schedule this week, including a much later shift than normal, today. It's so slow I've had more than enough time to read -- we've had 25 calls in the 6 and a half hours since I came in.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  02:07:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

First book I read this year will be Dragons of Autumn Twilight (working on it now)...then the next two in the Dragonlance Chronicles. I usually don't read beyond those three in Krynn's setting...it ends the way I think it should and I don't like changing that...
So you'd never read "The Lost Chronicles" trilogy, also by Weis & Hickman, and composed much later? It's a trilogy that focuses on some of the more "skipped over" events of the original trilogy -- like the search for the Hammer of Kharas, the events at Icewall, and Raistlin's transformation.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  02:21:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

quote:

So you'd never read "The Lost Chronicles" trilogy, also by Weis & Hickman, and composed much later? It's a trilogy that focuses on some of the more "skipped over" events of the original trilogy -- like the search for the Hammer of Kharas, the events at Icewall, and Raistlin's transformation.

I did say "usually don't read"

I've read almost every single Dragonlance book ever made...I just remember the magic of those first three; how it made me skip school for a whole week while I read them...then read them again!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  08:11:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I've read almost every single Dragonlance book ever made...I just remember the magic of those first three; how it made me skip school for a whole week while I read them...then read them again!

Have you read "The Lost Chronicles?"

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  11:19:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Actually, if you read the short story from one of the 2012 issues of Star Wars Insider which features a tale about Plagueis and his own Sith Master [Darth Tenebrous] and works as a prequel of sorts for the book, you'll see that it wasn't so much that Sidious messed things up. It was really something of a flawed plan to begin with.

Ahh, I hadnt read that one. But still a plan that took a thousand years to implement and gave the Sith only about 3 to 4 decades in the limelight. Bane was the most foolish Sith lord ever.
I am glad the One Sith and the Lost tribe have abandoned his teachings.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  11:21:07  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
I ll started to Sword of the Gods by Bruce Cordell. I am enjoying it so far, Airspur is an intriguing city. The gensai could have been a lot more interesting it they had been handled properly.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  15:18:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

On my next re-read of DL i will read the origianl chronicles, as well as the "lost chronicles" and Test of the Twins, raist and Caramon novels....then call it a day, the rest of my DL novels are boxed up and ready for a bookmonger. The whole Mina and disappearing Krynn spoiled everything but the original core DL for me.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 02 Jan 2013 15:21:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  16:23:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

On my next re-read of DL i will read the origianl chronicles, as well as the "lost chronicles" and Test of the Twins, raist and Caramon novels....then call it a day, the rest of my DL novels are boxed up and ready for a bookmonger. The whole Mina and disappearing Krynn spoiled everything but the original core DL for me.

That's pretty much my plan... I didn't like what happened to Krynn, but I like Weis & Hickman. So at some point this year, I'll read the Chronicles and Lost Chronicles, the Legends, and the War of Souls -- all in chronological order. I've not done that in several years, I think.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  16:25:42  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
About 75% done with Charon's Claw right now.

Later, of course, I'll knock off The Last Threshold and The Companions.

And I picked up some screenwriting books to help inspire me to write those Drizzt screenplays I keep dreaming about. It's odd how much advice varies on movie writing, and how much every advice-giver swears his way is the best way.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  18:23:32  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
Working my way tihrough Midnight's Mask and the entirety of the Erevis Cale series.

Highly recommend including the short stories (Dragon articles and Realms of Dragons) in your readings if you do. Kemp is a very strong character author and knows how to weave in Realmslore in an engaging way.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  23:59:46  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's pretty much my plan... I didn't like what happened to Krynn, but I like Weis & Hickman. So at some point this year, I'll read the Chronicles and Lost Chronicles, the Legends, and the War of Souls -- all in chronological order. I've not done that in several years, I think.

I will never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever invest time in re-reading the war of the souls...ever

But I did download Neverwhere on the iPad at noon today and have devoured over 70% of it. I had to force myself to put it down so I'd have something to read to night. A great read.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  02:09:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

You're only reading Test of the Twins? What about the other two books of the "Legends" trilogy?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  02:11:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You might want to slip Second Generation between "Lost Chronicles" and "War of Souls." It has stories by Weis & Hickman that set-up the platform for the next generation of heroes after the original Companions of the Lance.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  02:47:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ahh, I hadnt read that one. But still a plan that took a thousand years to implement and gave the Sith only about 3 to 4 decades in the limelight. Bane was the most foolish Sith lord ever.
Bane wasn't really to blame for that, though. The original structure of Bane's "Rule of Two" was a particularly powerful concept. It falls to Palpatine for not ensuring that the ultimate revenge of the Sith was properly executed.
quote:
I am glad the One Sith and the Lost tribe have abandoned his teachings.
The One Sith of Darth Krayt and the Sith of the Lost Tribe aren't the only Sith in the galaxy. Undoubtedly, the original teachings of the Rule of Two still exist among would-be Sith Lords, and probably will rise again at some point. Especially since we know Palpatine recorded most of his insights into the Rule of Two in Sith Holocrons. And I doubt Luke's Jedi Order found and/or recovered them all when Palpatine's New Order fell.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  04:22:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny. Enjoyed Book 2 of the Chronicles of Amber just as much as the first one. Continuing with Reaper's Gale before picking up Book 3 of the Amber series.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  04:59:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You might want to slip Second Generation between "Lost Chronicles" and "War of Souls." It has stories by Weis & Hickman that set-up the platform for the next generation of heroes after the original Companions of the Lance.

Yeah, that one would be in there, as well. I just didn't think to list it.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  13:09:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Have you read "The Lost Chronicles?"

I've read Dragons of the Hourglass Mage and Dragons of the Highlord Skies...but not the other, I don't have it. I've been meaning to buy it and read it; just haven't gotten to it yet.

I really enjoyed the one about Raistlin; however, it just didn't fit with my pre-concieved notion of exactly how he came to be. I'm glad I read it though, because it made more sense honestly than how I thought things were and filled in many gaps certainly.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  13:20:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on Ghostwalker by Erik Scott De Brie. A good book so far.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  14:24:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I really enjoyed the one about Raistlin; however, it just didn't fit with my pre-concieved notion of exactly how he came to be. I'm glad I read it though, because it made more sense honestly than how I thought things were and filled in many gaps certainly.

Yeah. Raistlin's shift from the Red Robes to Black Robes was really one of those great DL mysteries that remained unreferenced for so very long.

My only realy complaint with DotHM, was that it was too short.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  15:32:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Yeah. Raistlin's shift from the Red Robes to Black Robes was really one of those great DL mysteries that remained unreferenced for so very long.

My only realy complaint with DotHM, was that it was too short.

It was indeed too short! Raistlin is my favorite wizard of all time because it was the first time I read about someone that was "evil" that still had a heart and cared about others...he broke the stereotype of the evil wizard for me and allowed me to see things in fantasy other than "black and white" hero vs. evil situations.

It was actually about 26 years ago around this time of the year that I first read Dragons of Autumn Twilight...an amazing time for me. I had just went from a highschool of nearly 2k students to one that was lucky if it had 200...from a condo to a farmhouse where our only heat was wood that I split and where we had no drinking water we didn't bring from somewhere else...

I really connected pscyhologically to Ansalon because I felt like I was living through a cataclysm of my own...awesome time in my life now that I look back on it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 47 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000