Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Failed "prophecises" in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  15:33:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I believe Szass Tam used a spell to duplicate this sort of 'prophesy effect' - he was able to see down several branches (which equate to alternate realities).
It's something like it, but not exactly the same. His spell allowed him to view reality in nine dimentions, but it was limited to the 'here and now,' and did not extend back to the past, or onwards to the future.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  16:12:26  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the time tree branch analogy. Good stuff. Another popular metaphore for describing divining the future is the river of time.

Certain seers describe their prophetic visions as being able to dam the river of time, giving the seer the time to study the stream or timeline of specific events in the vicinity of the clear waters near their dam. Looking up and down the stream without a dam is as mentally tyring as physically swimming in a strong current of a turbulent river.

Being mentally strong makes seers good swimmers, so old seers can become more able to see further away into time. But extending too far takes them further downstream a riverpath, sometimes leading to the erosion and redepositing of their dams wholesale into false realities.

On the contrary, young seers would have clear sight into their unblemished dams waters, perhaps with a specilised area of expertise or timeperiod, but need help looking further downstream the main timeline.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  17:22:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The river analogy is good, because it allows certain paths to re-converge.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I believe Szass Tam used a spell to duplicate this sort of 'prophesy effect' - he was able to see down several branches (which equate to alternate realities).
It's something like it, but not exactly the same. His spell allowed him to view reality in nine dimentions, but it was limited to the 'here and now,' and did not extend back to the past, or onwards to the future.
First, time itself may have been one of those dimensions (Temporal Prime), unless the text explicitly said otherwise.

Also, its really not that different - he could see 'perturbations' in the various dimensions surrounding Realmspace, which means he could probably see at least some of those divergent reality paths (not the realities themselves, but the possibilities). Picture being on a road, and off to the side you can see dirt-paths leading off the main road. As you looked in those directions, you can see off in the distance some clues about what is happening there - perhaps a grey skyline, or one filled with dragons, or the smoking ruins of cities... that sort of thing. No specifics, but you can get a general idea of what direction you DON'T want to go in.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Dec 2012 17:24:04
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  17:40:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm away from my books at the moment. Later, I'll post an excerpt detailing the casting of the spell in question.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000