Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Evil Elves or Good Drows which one is more rare?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  15:57:50  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lisa Smedmna's novels make perfect sense and she has a much deeper understanding of religion than most authors. If her realistic portrayal of religious belief escapes you don't blame her.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  16:19:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taken as individual novels, the WotSQ was 'somewhat' enjoyable. Each book had its problems, but I still enjoyed them individually. Taken as a series, the whole thing just falls apart.

In the end, the best way to described my gut feeling was 'dissatisfaction'. I just didn't 'get it'.

I hope they avoid these 'multi-author' series in the future... oh... wait...

At least the Sundering won't be 'one story' - it will be different stories about different people with the same 'backdrop'. That should work. It will be a lot more like the Harper series then the WotSQ.

Drow really aren't a threat anymore... since they lost their infravision they can't tell time, and that wreaks havoc with their plans.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Dec 2012 16:19:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  18:18:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Lisa Smedmna's novels make perfect sense and she has a much deeper understanding of religion than most authors. If her realistic portrayal of religious belief escapes you don't blame her.

That's a rather condescendning attitude. People can fully understand what an author is writing and still dislike it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  19:14:58  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's only one little problem: if something seems "realistic" for you, this does not, in iself, ensure that everyone will see it the same way. Especially, especially if you feel the urge to use this word. I tell you, someone cursed it.
You know that "realistic" has a long history of being something like a leper sign around xD&D, no?
Because before MtG-like abstract style of D&D3, house rules strived for "realism" as often as not, not that there were no repeat offences later. If my time on AD&D usenet/fidonet group is any indication, when something was "realistic", it usually involved things like archer shooting a squirrel in the eye. Let the American players here correct me if it was any different for them - not really expecting this after what i could see on internet - but it looks like by the time Rich Baker wrote in the foreword to PO:C&T "The Combat & Tactics book is a compromise that adds some detail to combat - not to make it more realistic, but to make combat more believable", lack of claim to "realism" was likely to be almost universally perceived as a good thing in itself.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  21:11:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Granted, I absolutely HATED Jeggred. He was a big dumb brute, plain and simple, and added little to the story, IMHO. I would have enjoyed seeing him offed in the first book, to be honest.

I tend to think Jeggred suffered, slightly, from a lack of back-story. I would've preferred him to have been developed more as a character in his own right, rather than just the *typical* "big drumb brute" he often gets labelled as, unfortunately.
Hmm. I thought he was fleshed out in the other books which I've neglected to read (yet) [only read 3 books so far], 'cause there's almost nothing about him except being a one-dimensional gigantic brute. So he wasn't, then?

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 25 Dec 2012 21:28:36
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  21:21:00  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minor spoiler alert:

Other than the minor part about meeting his "daddy" (which was kinda boring, IMO), no, he really wasn't much.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  22:30:00  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lisa Smedman has obviously researched the nature of religion a lot and worked hard on putting it into her books. It seems rude and condescending to say she doesn't care about the setting when she worked hard to write well thought out stories.

Jeggred never really gets developed. I think he gets less developed because his character becomes one dimensional later on when he seemed to have the potential to be more fleshed out early on in Wotspq (is that the acronym?) He seems really cunning (advising his centuries old mother, for example) at the start and then becomes a mindless monster later on.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  01:47:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

Granted, I absolutely HATED Jeggred. He was a big dumb brute, plain and simple, and added little to the story, IMHO. I would have enjoyed seeing him offed in the first book, to be honest.

I tend to think Jeggred suffered, slightly, from a lack of back-story. I would've preferred him to have been developed more as a character in his own right, rather than just the *typical* "big drumb brute" he often gets labelled as, unfortunately.
Hmm. I thought he was fleshed out in the other books which I've neglected to read (yet) [only read 3 books so far], 'cause there's almost nothing about him except being a one-dimensional gigantic brute. So he wasn't, then?

That's what I was getting at earlier. I think if Jeggred had a more developed back-story... and reasons for readers to actually want to come to know more about him, he probably would've become a more solid character on his own.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  08:01:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lisa Smedman has obviously researched the nature of religion a lot and worked hard on putting it into her books. It seems rude and condescending to say she doesn't care about the setting when she worked hard to write well thought out stories.
Claiming that the author "researched" or at least asked right questions because she "worked hard to write well thought out stories" seems to be a plain non seqitur. And would be so even if the former statement in itself didn't contradict observable results (again, see the linked thread for details).
quote:

Granted, I absolutely HATED Jeggred. He was a big dumb brute, plain and simple, and added little to the story, IMHO.
He was a big, dumb, vicious and loyal brute. Let's list all assets. Which is also what he added to the story. Not every character gets to be an emo-conan, brutes have their place too.
quote:

I think if Jeggred had a more developed back-story... and reasons for readers to actually want to come to know more about him, he probably would've become a more solid character on his own.
I doubt it somewhat. What more there could be? What left Jeggred like this boils down to an... inexplicably non-linear design decision that offspring of drow (!) and glabrezu (!) of all things somehow is going to be stupid.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  13:51:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Granted, I absolutely HATED Jeggred. He was a big dumb brute, plain and simple, and added little to the story, IMHO.
He was a big, dumb, vicious and loyal brute. Let's list all assets. Which is also what he added to the story. Not every character gets to be an emo-conan, brutes have their place too.

Actually, he wasn't even all that loyal -- which is part of why I dislike the series. In one book, he was very loyal to one of the characters, in the next book, he was loyal to a different one and contempuous of the first.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  14:28:20  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right away it is stated Jeggred is only loyal to whoever he views as the most powerful Priestess of Lolth. His loyalty shifting reflects that.

Beholder - I already read the discussion on Kiaransalee. I think Erik Scott covers most of what people say "doesn't make sense". Since it has already been discussed I don't feel the need to comment. (Mortals like Finder have killed Gods before, and mortals like Karsus or Azuth have used magic on Gods before, etc. )

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 26 Dec 2012 14:32:23
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  16:16:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, his backstory was really fairly straight-forward. He was the product of Triel's "graduation"- with honors, apparently- of Arach-Tinilith. She was the top student, and therefore got the dubious honor of mating with a glabrezu. Yeah, I don't get it either. But according to some lore from Daughter of the Drow, Triel swings the other way among drow, so he was her only offspring, and likely to remain so. Not really much there to tell.

maybe the glabrezu "ruined" her for other men (i.e. it was so rough with a demon that it traumatized her).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  16:22:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Actually, he wasn't even all that loyal -- which is part of why I dislike the series. In one book, he was very loyal to one of the characters, in the next book, he was loyal to a different one and contempuous of the first.

Loyalty would not be either a demonic NOR a drow trait. Why would he have it? He should be fickle and helping whomever is aiding him at the time.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  16:28:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

quote:

Loyalty would not be either a demonic NOR a drow trait. Why would he have it? He should be fickle and helping whomever is aiding him at the time.

My issue with it was how jarring it was. In one book, he can't jump readily enough for one of the priestesses, and blows off everyone else. In the next book, he's practically telling the first one to suck it, and this happened with little or no transition at all.

I can deal with an gradual shift in loyalties. An overnight, unexplained shift? No.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  22:30:39  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas it is implied Triel is a lesbian in Daughter of the Drow as a reputation she had long had (and she is presumably hundreds of years old). I don't think a senior priestess of Lolth would get traumatized in that way. Also homosexuality is not created by trauma...

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 26 Dec 2012 22:43:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  01:08:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I think if Jeggred had a more developed back-story... and reasons for readers to actually want to come to know more about him, he probably would've become a more solid character on his own.
I doubt it somewhat. What more there could be? What left Jeggred like this boils down to an... inexplicably non-linear design decision that offspring of drow (!) and glabrezu (!) of all things somehow is going to be stupid.

I'm not suggesting the writers use what was already there. I'm saying that Jeggred really needed more time in development with the plot, so that something more could have been done with him to make the character more appealing to many of the readers who might not feel he has such a place in the story.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  01:24:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all honesty, his only real role in the story was to keep an eye on Quenthel and the others, by Triel's orders. His only REAL loyalty was to his Matron. As for the others, he was loyal to whichever one was most likely to complete the quest.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  08:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

quote:

My issue with it was how jarring it was. In one book, he can't jump readily enough for one of the priestesses, and blows off everyone else. In the next book, he's practically telling the first one to suck it, and this happened with little or no transition at all.

I can deal with an gradual shift in loyalties. An overnight, unexplained shift? No.

As I understand it, a large part of the inconsistencies between characterization of the various personalities in the series is generally attributed to the six books each being written by a different author. If one person wrote all six you're going to get some inconsistencies just as a matter of course. But six different people writing six different books? No chance it'll flow well.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  14:25:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

As I understand it, a large part of the inconsistencies between characterization of the various personalities in the series is generally attributed to the six books each being written by a different author. If one person wrote all six you're going to get some inconsistencies just as a matter of course. But six different people writing six different books? No chance it'll flow well.

I get the cause of the inconsistencies. But I think the writing of the books could have been better coordinated to prevent something like this from happening, and/or that inconsistencies could be cleaned up during the editing of all six books.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  16:07:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Mr.Herdgehog - While I fully respect your opinion of the LP series, I've just heard way too many bad things to think that story makes any sense. Its not just the opinion of a few people - its the general consensus of the FR fanbase. Nearly everyone who has read it dislikes it. It was just too obvious a company-mandated assassination of the Drow pantheon with little regard to past lore.

EDIT: Suffice it to say most readers were not happy with the series, so I feel that it must have been 'defective' in some way. I edited-out all the specifics of why I feel this way.

For the sake of fairness, perhaps we should also stop saying nice things about authors. We wouldn't want to be accused of being biased.

quote:

Forget Jaggred - he is just the most obvious example. The worst one for me was that Pharaun risks his own life to save the life of a drow-girl (Danifae) he doesn't even know, and yet doesn't even bat an eye when his best (life-long) friend Ryld dies. It was like the characters were completely different people from book to book. Each author had their own 'pet', and that became the new 'Mary Sue'... it was jarring as hell. They need to avoid series like this down the line (or find writers who read each other's work).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2012 01:52:41
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  18:54:57  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why couldn't she invent lore? Every other does. Was there a reason why Drow settled near Faerzress? That was something that had not been explored. It was presented as a new discovery in the novels so nobody could have mentioned it before. A novel that doesn't explore new ideas or flesh out new things would be pretty boring. Other authors "create their own lore" without comment.

Did drow even officially exist in the Forgotten Realms before Drizzt was invented? It was monotheistic society despite that not being what the world's creator had envisioned. Monotheism has been assumed by many authors and game designers despite the fact Ed Greenwood not presenting that world and trying to refute it... presumably because authors and/or the audience can't grasp the concept of Polytheism.

There have always been contradictions and new inventions in published material in any world written about by for multiple authors (or even one!).
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  00:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please stop bashing Lisa or other FR authors. It's impolite, disrespectful, and way off-topic.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  00:44:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know I've been trying to avoid negativity, but you can't defend something most fans dislike. There has to be a reason for it beyond "You're all just stupid".

I guess we are supposed to only voice our opinions about things we like? Not sure I like the connotations there...

The solution is very simple, as I see it. In a business, when you promote something and find your customer base won't buy it, you cut your losses and try something else. You don't keep forcing it down someone's throat. I think the best thing for everyone concerned is to not have LS write any more FR stories (unless the company wants to bleed some more money). Not being nasty, just logical.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Dec 2012 01:53:18
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  00:55:15  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way... we know that people are polytheistic but does the drow too? Ed's answer on the percentage of Eilistraeens hints that they are but I just can't picture a Lolthite worshipping another member of the Dark Seldarine. Perhaps to Selvetarm or even Ghaunadaur sometimes but... what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  01:22:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Please stop bashing Lisa or other FR authors. It's impolite, disrespectful, and way off-topic.

Cheers

I'd like to reinforce this specifically.

Such comments will not be tolerated here at Candlekeep. We've already had one very serious breach of this in the history of the site, which led to some very unfortunate circumstances for many of the folk involved.

So, please, I ask that any such commentary be instead directed to private communiqués, such as emails for example.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  03:16:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Forget Jaggred - he is just the most obvious example. The worst one for me was that Pharaun risks his own life to save the life of a drow-girl (Danifae) he doesn't even know, and yet doesn't even bat an eye when his best (life-long) friend Ryld dies.
Yes, but not too much. He's not self-sacrificing, he's gambling. Pharaun's main motivations seems to be simple: "for the hell of it!" (which Ryld shared, as we see early on) and/or failing that, "in your face!" (we see both with the sisters).
If there's a challenge he clearly can take? He doesn't need a very good reason to risk.
If he's really cornered (with the "putrid mollusk")? It's not like he can change anything, so he's just having as much fun as he can pull in the few breaths left to him and tries to sour it for the foe, too.
If he faces an overwhelming force without seeing a feasible way to go through it? He loses it and hightails because the loudest way to say "screw you" is to return later with enough of force to wipe them out, and there's no gamble in sight to do anything imprudent.
quote:

They need to avoid series like this down the line (or find writers who read each other's work).
Like they learned from the Double Diamond?
quote:

Why couldn't she invent lore? Every other does.
Usually authors are required to - and do - build upon the existing lore, or at least not overrunning it. Didn't you notice this? It's called "continuity".
quote:

Was there a reason why Drow settled near Faerzress? That was something that had not been explored. It was presented as a new discovery in the novels so nobody could have mentioned it before.
Was there a reason Humans tend to settle near rivers? That was something that had not been explored in novels! It's not like the reasons to do so are both headdeskingly obvious and got offhandedly mentioned in rulebooks just for the sake of completeness. Oh, wait... it is. It's really this simple:
Humans settle near rivers because they rely on water for drinking, stewing, washing, barging and occasionally protection.
Drow live near glowy places because as fragile scrawny elves stuck between illithids, dwarves, etc, they rely too much on cheapskate radiation quasimagic, so when it dries up... e.g. for a city as big as Sshamath it took at least three different favourable conditions to live through this. Duh.
quote:

There have always been contradictions and new inventions in published material in any world written about by for multiple authors (or even one!).
There always are failures in continuity or anything else. Is it a good reason to drop the standards and slide toward the lowest common denominator?

Edited by - TBeholder on 28 Dec 2012 03:22:16
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  05:28:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I know I was part of it, and for that I apologize -- but we have really gotten off-topic from the original discussion of evil elves and good drow.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  09:37:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

By the way... we know that people are polytheistic but does the drow too? Ed's answer on the percentage of Eilistraeens hints that they are but I just can't picture a Lolthite worshipping another member of the Dark Seldarine. Perhaps to Selvetarm or even Ghaunadaur sometimes but... what do you think?

Eilistraee is the Patron of of Song and Sword Craft. All Drow need a good blade, most enjoy music for entertainment. The whole concept of polytheistic includes looking to different deities for different things. Hades for the after life, Zeus for storms, Apollo for sunlight, etc. Each deity can be worshiped for something that the deity will bless. Want good crops pray to Demetre (Mother Earth), want a healthy child pray to Hera. It would not matter that Hera and Demetre do not get along all that well, each will as they choose based on worship answer worship as they choose.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  10:31:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[...]

The solution is very simple, as I see it. In a business, when you promote something and find your customer base won't buy it, you cut your losses and try something else. You don't keep forcing it down someone's throat. I think the best thing for everyone concerned is to not have LS write any more FR stories (unless the company wants to bleed some more money). Not being nasty, just logical.

Well, some of her work received a generally positive feedback -AFAIK- (like that recent novel about dwarves), so what you say would be excessive.

What WotC needs to do is:

1)keeping continuity
2)avoid and fix stuff like LP, whose only purpose is to make maximum profit from making the setting poorer (I really don't think that those novels would've been written if drow didn't sell so well. The DS would've been swept away by the SP, just like other deities).

They promised to do this, but -you know- promises =/= facts.

quote:

AFAIK, most lolthites don't even know about the existence of Eilistraee, Vhaeraun, or any other deities. They are brainwashed into believing that Lolth is the one and only mistress and ruler, who can dispose of them as she pleases.

However drow who are no longer lolthite could easily worship many deities at once, just like most people on Toril.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 28 Dec 2012 10:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  17:35:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She wrote a novel about dwarves?

Dang, there goes my favorite race.

Don't tell me, they live underground because they are addicted to the taste of dirt.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000