Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A call for druid lore!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Fern
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  00:05:28  Show Profile  Visit John Fern's Homepage Send John Fern a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings everyone!

I'm currently playing a druid (3rd. Edition) and I'm eagerly seeking out any and all Forgotten Realms lore/information on the class as I can get my hands on. My current internet searches have been met with mixed success, as I find a lot of the material to be really general and lacking anything more then a few paragraphs of pretty easily deducible information. (ie. See the Forgotten Realms Wiki's druid class page)

If anyone has the time to point me in the direction of some more in-depth material or even the enthusiasm to type into a PM or forum response I'd really appreciate it!

An example of things I'm looking for:
-How do the druids mechanically work within the fiction (ie. how do they shapeshift? Where does there power come from? Things they can/cannot do)
-How do they respond/view/interact with other beings? (ie. views on undead, beings from another plane, demons/devils/far realm creatures)
-How do the abilities of a druid perform on other planes?
-What are some noteworthy druids or druidic forces in the realms? What are their varying philosophies?

As a side note, my friends and I are currently living isolated in the North with pretty much the internet and dnd to pass the time when we're not working, so it'll be next to impossible for me to obtain/order hardcopies of manuals as I'm sure a lot of information is available there.

Thanks for all your time!
John

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  00:09:49  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonshae novels show quite a few Druids at work, and gives some consideration to how their powers work. Magic of Faerun also has some tidbits on Druidic worship, as do the excellent 2E Powers and Pantheons/Faith and Avatars books.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  09:45:48  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look also for information about Gildenfire, Pheszeltan and Sinklayr Greenstroke, and if possible check the 2e boxed set The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier.

EDIT: Just remembered another 2e sourcebook you can like, it describes a druid's grove. It's the Warriors and Priests of the Realms sourcebook, but this section is a reprint of some older book tat I don't recall now. Probably there are newer sources with a similar content, but the book also brings some info about the priests of the various religions of the Realms, including the deities of nature.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 11 Dec 2012 09:50:04
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  13:46:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This request is kind of broad, so the best advice I can give you is "tell me more narrowly what you want to know". For instance, if you're working in a specific area of the realms, that would help. I'll try to answer your specific questions below.

-How do the druids mechanically work within the fiction (ie. how do they shapeshift? Where does there power come from? Things they can/cannot do) - answer: they shapeshift as a benefit of worshipping their deity. The divine patron grants them this power.

-How do they respond/view/interact with other beings? (ie. views on undead, beings from another plane, demons/devils/far realm creatures) - generally, they don't like them, view them as unnatural, and think they should be destroyed. Of course, they might not feel this way with beings from faerie/feywild or angels or other generally benign outsiders.

-How do the abilities of a druid perform on other planes? - Depends on the plane. Since nearly every plane affects different types of magic in different ways, that's the best answer I can give. In general though, its not affected any more than say a cleric's magic.

-What are some noteworthy druids or druidic forces in the realms? What are their varying philosophies?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Druid

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/npcs/npcs_druid.htm

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Emerald_Enclave

The witches of Rashemen include a large number of Hathrans amongst their ranks... however, its my viewpoint that they also include a lot of spirit shamans as well who also use druidic magic.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Druids_of_Tall_Trees

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Moonshae_Isles

There's a TON of information in various supplements that are out, but if you say you can't access them, I don't know what to tell you (i.e. it would be illegal to reprint the information for you). The only thing I can say is order the physical copies or find some means to legally obtain PDF copies of whichever books are of particular interest based upon where your campaign will be based (I'm not sure if they're still out there for sale in PDF form, but wizard's website was at one time offering them for download for free... but I don't have the link anymore).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2012 :  20:22:29  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only bit of help i can offer is from my own stories (and that my players love) is that druid's leave the realm in the same manner they entered it, buck naked. When a druid dies they are to be stripped of all material possessions and left to the elements. Friends often claim a small token (unless your the greedy dwarf that rumages thorough their packs and takes everythign that wasnt nailed down)in honor of the fallen.
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2012 :  04:22:13  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

My only bit of help i can offer is from my own stories (and that my players love) is that druid's leave the realm in the same manner they entered it, buck naked. When a druid dies they are to be stripped of all material possessions and left to the elements. Friends often claim a small token (unless your the greedy dwarf that rumages thorough their packs and takes everythign that wasnt nailed down)in honor of the fallen.

I think realms could use an Epic level Druid.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000