Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Character Names from Novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  12:22:19  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know there are sites that have sample names for characters of different races but my question is...

Has anyone ever attempted to compile a list of names from various novels and other sources into a (more or less) complete list? I keep a list of names from TV/movies, novels, game products, etc., so I could start one here I suppose...but I would rather not if it has already been done/started. Cheers!

Mod Edit: Renamed the scroll to more accurately reflect its content.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Nov 2012 15:11:12

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  12:37:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The names of every novel can be found at: http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_books.html

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 19 Nov 2012 12:39:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  13:00:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

The names of every novel can be found at: http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_books.html

I believe he was referring to the names of characters within the novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  13:14:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Im referring to the names of characters within the novels. Sorry that my topic name is misleading.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  15:12:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Yes, Im referring to the names of characters within the novels. Sorry that my topic name is misleading.

I have corrected that for you.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  16:47:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Has anyone ever attempted to compile a list of names from various novels and other sources into a (more or less) complete list?
Why yes, someone has.

You can find a slowly growing list of such names (as found in novels, Eye on the Realms articles and adventures penned by Ed Greenwood) on this Wizard's of the Coast Wiki Page.

We can always use more entries on that wiki page, if you've compiled any yourself from novels and such.

Outside of novels, Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom has compiled a list of 1000+ names from Castlemourn, The Five Shires, Halls of the High King and Endless Stair on his blog.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 19 Nov 2012 16:48:22
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  16:51:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ahh lol, that's what happens when I sign into Candlekeep before I've had my morning coffee.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  02:50:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Each book in The Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers has a list of characters at the end.

Unclean

personages of thay

The Zulkirs

Aznar Thrul (Evocation); also tharchion of Priador
Druxus Rhym (Transmutation)
Lallara (Abjuration)
Lauzoril (Enchantment)
Mythrellan (Illusion)
Nevron (Conjuration)
Szass Tam (Necromancy)
Yaphyll (Divination)

The Tharchions

Azhir Kren (Gauros)
Dimon (Tyraturos); also a priest of Bane
Dmitra Flass (Eltabbar); also a Red Wizard of Illusion and princess of Mulmaster; "the First Princess of Thay"
Hezass Nymar (Lapendrar); also Eternal Flame of the temple of Kossuth in Escalant
Homen Odesseiron (Surthay)
Invarri Metron (Delhumide)
Milsantos Daramos (Thazalhar)
Nymia Focar (Pyarados)
Pyras Autorian (Thaymount)
Thessaloni Canos (Alaor)

Others

Iphegor Nath, High Flamelord of the Church of Kossuth
Ramas Ankhalab, autharch of Anhaurz
Samas Kul, Master of the Guild of Foreign Trade; also a Red Wizard of Transmutation
Shabella the Pale, Guildmistress of the Temple of Mask in Bezantur; also chief of that city's thieves' guild

Undead

personages of thay

Lords, Captains, and Other Notables of the Courts of the North

The Regent
Szass Tam, zulkir of the Order of Necromancy and pretender to the regency of Thay

The Tharchions
Azhir Kren (Gauros)
Hezass Nymar (Lapendrar), also Eternal Flame of the temple of Kossuth in Escalant
Homen Odesseiron (Surthay)
Invarri Metron (Delhumide)
Pyras Autorian (Thaymount)

Others
Tammith Iltazyarra, captain of the Silent Company
Xingax, a maker of undead

Lords, Captains, and Other Notables of the Courts of the South

The Zulkirs
Dmitra Flass (Illusion), also tharchion of Eltabbar and princess of Mulmaster, "the First Princess of Thay"
Kumed Hahpret (Evocation)
Lallara (Abjuration)
Lauzoril (Enchantment)
Nevron (Conjuration)
Samas Kul (Transmutation), also tharchion of Priador and Master of the Guild of Foreign Trade
Yaphyll (Divination)
Zola Sethrakt (Necromancy)

The Tharchions
Dimon (Tyraturos), also a priest of Bane
Kethin Hur (Thazalhar)
Nymia Focar (Pyarados)
Thessaloni Canos (the Alaor)

Others
Aoth Fezim, captain of the Griffon Legion of Pyarados
Bareris Anskuld, a lieutenant of the Griffon Legion
Drash Rurith, autharch of Mophur
Iphegor Nath, High Flamelord of the Church of Kossuth
Malark Springhill, spymaster to Dmitra Flass
Nular Zurn, castellan of the Keep of Sorrows
Unara Anrakh, high priestess of the temple of Bane in Hurkh
Zekith Shezim, high priest of the temple of Bane in Bezantur

Unholy

simbarchs of aglarond
Ertrel
Seriadne

personages of thay

In the Regency
Arizima Nathandem, a rebel leader in the Citadel
Bareris Anskuld, a bard, ally to the rebels
Chumed Shapret, seneschal of Anhaurz
Malark Springhill, a zulkir
Mirror, a ghost, ally to the rebels
Muthoth, an officer in the service of Sylora Salm
So-Kehur, autharch of Anhaurz
Szass Tam, the regent
Sylora Salm, tharchion of Eltabbar
Tsagoth, a blood fiend bound to the service of Szass Tam

Zulkirs of the Wizard's Reach
Lallara
Lauzoril
Nevron
Samas Kul

The Brotherhood of the Griffon
Aoth Fezim, captain of the Brotherhood of the Griffon
Gaedynn Ulraes, Aoth's master of bowmen, scouts, and skirmishers
Jhesrhi Coldcreek, Aoth's chief wizard
Khouryn Skulldark, Aoth's aide-de-camp and master of heavy infantry, artillery, and siege craft

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 20 Nov 2012 02:51:39
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  09:41:54  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet: Island of the Elves also has a list of its characters, from past and present

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  10:32:43  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reference material guys. I have this "thing" for names. One of my many quirks (like how I like looking at maps, just to look at them!). I must have been a kender in a former life for that last one.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2012 :  14:29:04  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "The Legend of Drizzt" hardcover re-prints of RAS's Drizzt books, Volumes I through XIII, had "Dramatis Personae" lists at the front. I don't recall whether the paperbacks did. And sadly, the newest hardcovers definitely don't have such lists.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 21 Nov 2012 14:29:40
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  14:47:26  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

The "The Legend of Drizzt" hardcover re-prints of RAS's Drizzt books, Volumes I through XIII, had "Dramatis Personae" lists at the front. I don't recall whether the paperbacks did. And sadly, the newest hardcovers definitely don't have such lists.

Urghhh.

RAS's names are one of the things I would love to see erased from the Realms.

He really doesn't get it.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  15:39:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Isn't that a bit harsh?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2012 :  18:25:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you've got a dwarf named Runabout Kicakastone, no, it really isn't.

On topic, a few years ago I tried to compile a list of every dwarf name in the Realms. I got through all but one or two of the sourcebooks and at least some of the novels before I became, ahem, employed. I've been meaning to send it to Alaundo so it can get posted here. One of the things I did in the spreadsheet is track what sources I had checked, and which ones I hadn't.

Would that be of interest?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  05:47:41  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! Dwarves can go by silly names, when they want to:
quote:
An examination of the Dwarven Name Tables provided herein can turn up unwieldy or ludicrous examples fairly quickly; DMs are advised to use these only for comical NPCs, such as unscrupulous and colorful peddlers and others who want their names to travel far and acquire a reputation. (Dwarves Deep, "Dwarven Names")

Also,
quote:
Adventuring companions of dwarves usually find it easier to give a dwarf a nickname, to use commonly as a surname when among humans[...]. (Dwarves Deep, "Dwarven Names")

Thus saith Ed.

I mean, if Tolkien can use "Fili" & "Kili"; "Oin" & "Gloin"; "Dwalin" & "Balin"; "Bifur", "Bofur", & "Bombur"; and "Dori", "Nori", & "Ori"; then I see nothing wrong with a "Pikel", "Kickastone", or "Huskennugget".

Who's to say that such dwarves didn't deliberately choose silly names just so that they would precede them, to be discussed by folks like us?

Who's to say that they didn't travel with humans or elves and get stuck with some of those silly names as nicknames? I mean, Fredegar Rockcrusher was renamed "Fret Quilldipper" by his associates, in Sojourn.

Let it be, man; let it be.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  06:26:27  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can appreciate how some of Salvatore's dwarf name choices can grate on the nerves. At first glace, it's hard to get past some of them.

That said, if I were in a game where I knew at least one player held such sentiments, I'd pick a crazy dwarf name right out of Salvatore's books, just to tweak that player, so there you go.

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  07:39:38  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a difference between a nickname among humans and something that seems to have been uttered by someone with a speech impediment. Thibbledorf Pwent etc....

But it's not just RAS's choice of dwarf names - or dwarf classes: doo-dad, anyone? - it's all the other names. Artemis. Barrabus. The gratuitous overuse of the apostrophe. I find so many of his names simply grating; they're not Realmsian.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I can appreciate how some of Salvatore's dwarf name choices can grate on the nerves. At first glace, it's hard to get past some of them.

That said, if I were in a game where I knew at least one player held such sentiments, I'd pick a crazy dwarf name right out of Salvatore's books, just to tweak that player, so there you go.

[internet tough guy] Our games are so tough we kill players. Yes, players. Not characters but players. And the leading cause of death is choosing a silly name. [/internet tough guy] Silly names are find for one-offs - and practically obligatory in Hackmaster :) - but they distract in FR campaigns, IMO. And they dstract in FR novels also. Ed's done a great job of giving FR names a particular feel: if you're going to write in his sandbox I think it's fair to be consistent with that feel.

And I will also add that naming a monk, Kane, is an offence that should see an author banned from writing forever....

On a more positive note, here's some more of Ed's names this time from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical: http://my-realms.blogspot.com/search/label/Names%20by%20Ed%20Greenwood

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  17:23:34  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you wanted to talk about someone sounding like he had a speech impediment, I would've thought you would've cited Pikel, rather than Pwent!

I don't really see a problem with the name "Thibbledorf Pwent". It just sounds like an old British name, to me (like some kind of knight). I guess "dorf" is reminiscent of "dork", or the old Tim Conway golf character, but I got over that within five minutes of being introduced to the character.

"Doo-dad" is a mark of Pikel's speech impediment. So what, though? Are you like the drow, looking down your nose at anyone you deem to be less perfect than yourself? Pikel's one of the most lovable, and loyal, and versatile dwarves you're ever likely to meet. Yes, his speech is annoying. But he more than makes up for that.

RAS's use of existing names from other established (especially RW) literature is definitely, glaringly noticeable.

But I will remind readers that the middle-managers in Hollywood who greenlight movies frown upon virtually ALL fantasy character names, and instead insist upon familiar, recognizable ones. To them, Ed's classical, easily-recognizable-as-fantastic names are the odd balls. At least Bob's silly names sound English! Maybe, just maybe, that plays a small part in Bob's stories selling as well as they do?

As far as the apostrophe goes, Bob was given the permission to import drow into the Realms and flesh out their culture with Homeland. It was HIS CALL as to what drow names in the Realms should be like. You don't have to like it, but you should at least acknowledge that fact.

As far as remaining consistent with Ed's naming conventions, recall that I just quoted Ed's own provisions for "ludicrous" dwarf names and nicknames. Bob's been entirely consistent with that.

To say that RAS's names are silly and stupid is one thing. Some of them are truly jarring.

But to call them "not Realmsian" is just arrogant and unjustifiably elitist. Ed's not that way about his own world, so why are you? His sandbox is big enough for lots of kiddies to play in it, and they don't all have to play the exact same game, in exactly the same way.

And I hope you weren't trying to imply that BOB was the one who should be banned from writing because of the name "Kane". That name was settled upon back in the first Bloodstone module in the mid-'80s before the Realms had even been officially embraced as part of D&D, and before RAS had written a single word on behalf of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  22:05:38  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beast, I don't think you're going to change anyone's mind. And really, you're not required to.

Some people just have a tighter expectation about Realms names, because they view the Realms as Ed's toy that others get to play with. I used to think that was being elitist but now, not so much. It's just an opinion.

I don't share that view. The Realms are, IMNSHO, shared amongst several talented people and the setting has benefited from it.

But sometimes you get bad with the good. This is why, to me, the name "Jack" Ravenwild is way, waaaay more jarring than Runabout Kicakastone.

If "Jack" is OK, how soon until Bill and Ted show up?

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  00:33:06  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hehe, Bob's already had a "Bill" and a "Jack", too.

Non-Edsian != non-Realmsian.

All that being said, I do think that that it would've been better had Ed and TSR/WOTC made a primer for the Realms that just dealt with the major languages, alphabets, common vocabulary, grammar, naming conventions, etc., like with the Appendices to The Lord of the Rings.

That they did not do so, and only halfway-kinda-sorta approximated such by incorporating blurbs across multiple different books spanning decades, makes it seem that the publishers just didn't envision such things with any strictness. That Bob's books get away with his naming conventions (among other things) just seems to prove that point, even more.

Edited by - BEAST on 10 Dec 2012 00:38:07
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  05:07:59  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Hehe, Bob's already had a "Bill" and a "Jack", too.

Seriously? Well, there goes the neighborhood.

As an aside, does anyone know if e-book versions of WotC Realms novels include lists of character names and the like?

Seems like the sort of thing every e-book ought to have.

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  04:23:33  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST (snip) Are you like the drow, looking down your nose at anyone you deem to be less perfect than yourself? (snip)

Seriously? That's your reply?

That's deranged. Seriously deranged.

My point is that so many characters seem to have speech impediments or a speech impediment-derived name. Thibbledorf Pwent doesn'ty sound like a dwarf or "English"; he sounds like something out of H R Puff'n'stuff or Willy Wonka.

As for the overuse of the apostrophe, I wasn't talking about the drow - I concede that that's how they're named - but non-drow characters.

Anyway, clearly you're a fan of his bad writing and his DROW: THE ANGSTING style. That's your perogative. I'm not.

And I still maintain that so many of his names are absolute crap. Take a look at the RAS-designed Bloodstone Lands - there's a mountain range there which is named "f--- you" - disguised with apostrophes, of course. That's not the act of someone with any sort of respect for the world that has made him a few dollars.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  05:09:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Just wow. BEAST's post wasn't in any way deranged. What's deranged is bashing an author simply on the basis of a few character names that were clearly intended as an in-setting joke. Bad writing? Why, because Salvatore has made more than a few passing nods to Tolkien? Because he makes liberal use of in-character internalized monologues? Because he has a penchant for humorous names? And THAT is what you call bad writing? That's not just disrespectful and rude, it's down-right arrogant.

Drizzt being a little angsty is part of his character, it's what makes him Drizzt. But I dare you to show me another drow Bob has written who is the same. (Zak doesn't count- he was only half-angsty, and didn't live long enough to really be as fully fleshed out anyway.) Malice? No angst there(And I LOVE her name- it's so self-descriptive!). Vierna or Briza? Heck no. Jarlaxle? Hells no. Tos'un or Berrin'gyon? Nope and nope. Most of his drow have been scheming, dark, and just plain nasty- that's their normal MO. Drizzt was special, precisely BECAUSE he had a conscience. (Zak to a lesser degree, or to be more accurate, he was just more pragmatic, and willing to compromise his true beliefs for the sake of survival, unlike Drizzt.)

Just because you're not a fan of his style is no reason to bash the writer OR his writing. I personally have a lot of respect for him as a writer, because he has created characters who are so well-loved and who change and grow throughout the series. So what if some of his names are a trifle silly? That's part of the fun. It's part of what makes them unique and memorable. Who wants to read a book where every dwarf has a name that sounds like Norse mythology? And as others have pointed out, Tolkien himself used names that were just goofy. Oin and Gloin? What was he THINKING??!!

And for the record, the only thing I saw in the Bloodstone lands that even came CLOSE to the "mountains" you mentioned- they were just foothills, BTW- was a small area called Fugue. No apostrophes, and it certainly was not called f*** you or anything remotely crude or disrespectful to the setting. Check your maps again.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 16 Dec 2012 05:25:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  05:32:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And with all that, perhaps we can move on?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  05:42:57  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes please. Sorry Wooly, hope that wasn't out of line. Personally, I've always like some of his names. Pikel's calling himself a doo-dad is one of the things I've always loved about that character. IIRC, there was a passage in the first book he appeared in (I forget which one now) that hinted he was not as intelligent as most dwarves, but made up for it with wisdom. Game-wise, I'd say he had about a n 8 or 9 Int, and an 18 or higher Wis score. So the doo-dad bit fits his lower than normal intelligence.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2012 :  23:17:18  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST (snip) Are you like the drow, looking down your nose at anyone you deem to be less perfect than yourself? (snip)

Seriously? That's your reply?

Well, obviously.

quote:
That's deranged. Seriously deranged.

What's "deranged" about asking if you're an elitist about anatomy and physiology, when you, yourself decried names for allegedly sounding like they came from someone with a speech impediment? The way you condemned such a physical condition sounds very similar to the way the drow characters scoff at and dismiss anyone who is less than a perfect physical specimen.

What is deranged is for you scoff, in such a manner--not for me to point out the similarity, there between.

quote:
My point is that so many characters seem to have speech impediments or a speech impediment-derived name. Thibbledorf Pwent doesn'ty sound like a dwarf or "English"; he sounds like something out of H R Puff'n'stuff or Willy Wonka.

Puff'n'stuff used alliteration or onomatopoeia in most of its characters' names. There are neither in Pwent's name.

Willy Wonka was written by British author Roald Dahl, and is a celebrated piece of British literature. And character names such as Augustus, Veruca, or Beuregarde all sound quite British to me.

I'm not understanding your denial, or your counter-examples.

quote:
As for the overuse of the apostrophe, I wasn't talking about the drow - I concede that that's how they're named - but non-drow characters.

Please provide examples of these allegedly numerous overuses of the apostrophe in non-drow names.

I don't know of any such over-use of the apostrophe in the names of RAS's characters of human, dwarven, elven, gnomish, orcish, goblinoid, giantkin, or dragonoid races.

quote:
Anyway, clearly you're a fan of his bad writing and his DROW: THE ANGSTING style. That's your perogative. I'm not.

Whether that's true or not has no bearing on your points about names.

quote:
And I still maintain that so many of his names are absolute crap. Take a look at the RAS-designed Bloodstone Lands - there's a mountain range there which is named "f--- you" - disguised with apostrophes, of course. That's not the act of someone with any sort of respect for the world that has made him a few dollars.

Please cite said name specifically. I find no such name, either in the text, or in the maps.

If it's a blurb in a map, but not expounded upon further in the text, then it hardly seems appropriate to bash the author for such--bash the illustrator, if you must.

Bob respected the Bloodstone Lands storyline so much that he wrote another game module installment of it. He cemented the Bloodstone Lands storyline into Realmslore. And then he wrote two novels and a novella that developed the storyline, even further. How is that in any way indicative of a lack of respect for the world?

Where's Willy Wonka and his outrageous modes of sending disgruntled kiddies away, when we need him?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  02:21:50  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can tell, he was referring to the small group of foothills near the outer end of the Bloodstone Pass called the Fugue. But I saw no apostrophes there or anywhere else on the map, and I have NO idea how he got a "f*** you" out of that, unless one says the name with an odd accent and a pause between sylables.....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000