Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What to put in a Waterdeep/North Gazette?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  09:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm thinking about creating a monthly gazette for the players in my FR game. They are adventuring in the Silver Marches and probably will be for some time to come, but I imagine they will eventually make their way to Waterdeep. I was thinking about creating an in game publication to que them in on knowledge they don't pick up through gameplay, create hooks and plots, create a better sense of atmosphere, and to get them intrigued by mentioning of far off places.

Waterdeep seems to be the only likely place in this part of Faerun that such a publication would come from, and the players would have to pick it up each month at whatever towns scattered throughout the area are able to get it through trade caravans that come through.

So anyways, what sort of stuff would you put in such a thing? How would it be organized? My most basic brainstorming has come up with Rumors, Merchant news and general politics.

*Posted this on rpg.net as well so expect to see it there :)

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  10:23:48  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe you should take a look in this website: http://www.raflar.com/waterdeep/

I think there is another site that had a regular gazetteer, but I'm not finding it, so maybe it's not online anymore. I'll post the link if I find it.

EDIT: Couldnt find the site I was looking for, but it was one of the non-official versions of the Daily Trumpet newspaper I found over the internet. I've found some others now, but since I couldn't check some of them because of my workplace's internet filters, and others were very campaign-specific, maybe you should seek them yourself.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 04 Dec 2012 14:22:27
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  10:36:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure Waterdeep would be only place of publication, however setting that aside for now.

Any monthly publication contains what the Editors want in it. Waterdeep chamber of commence would promote the harbor, investment opportunities and so on. Lords of Waterdeep could be more focused on power and might of the city. A scandal sheet type thing clearly could contain rumors, letters and advertizing.

All in all it would be financed by someone in order to serve a purpose. State sponsored of course would be different then something just published for profit. Chapbooks appear fairly common so a news book clearly likely and would depend on why offered and how much people will pay to get it. So I would say it depends, I also would suspect there will be more then one city or news book per city.

As to rumors, while such might be reported by some there is no indication of freedom of the press. Printing something that a Lord or a Mage does not like could resulting in fire, death etc. even if rumor is true fact.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  11:06:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out this: Waterdeep News archive. That may help you out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Dec 2012 11:07:13
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  18:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My novel Downshadow has a list of several prominent Waterdeep "broadsheets" (the equivalent of a newspaper) and suggests content they might have. It really varies between publishing houses.

The Vigilant Citizen, for instance, is a stern "just the facts, ma'am" sort of publication that releases what happened, with no dressing up or down. It is particularly known for its extensive (though each report is short and not much detailed) city watch reports, and is commonly thought to be one of the most trustworthy broadsheets in Waterdeep.

Meanwhile, The Mocking Minstrel is a caustic, sarcastic and widely read sheet (what we might call a tabloid) filled with incredibly unfair reviews and scathing critiques of locale citizens. It features a prominent (fictional) character called "Lord Bladdarblat" who is always quoted as heaping derision on anyone and everyone. One of my characters in Downshadow, the fey'ri con artist Fayne, maintains one of her cover identities as "Satin Rutshear," one of the Minstrel's most vicious "reporters."

Meanwhile, a broadsheet like the North Wind is less about news and more about fashion/gossip. It features illustrations of fashionable garments and easy-on-the-eyes models, while running generally undfounded, titillating pieces about the higher circles. It's a rag.

Other broadsheets include the Daily Luck and Merchant's Friend (both focusing on business and trade) and Halivar’s (focusing on things for the home, hearth, and road--not unlike Sears/Roebuck).

Check out this thread: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12810

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  20:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Not sure Waterdeep would be only place of publication, however setting that aside for now.

You're right, I woke up this morning thinking that there are several other likely candidates, including SIlverymoon and Baldurs Gate.

Anyways, there are some great resources in here, thanks guys! My big concern at the moment is how to organize it (either by region/town/city or by topic) and how much to actually let the players know through this thing.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  20:52:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may be a bit too modern a concept, but perhaps there can be a 'wider realms' paper with local editions? I can see something like this being distributed by Aurora's warehouses. They pass the Faerūn edition on to a local publisher who then adds in the local news. It could even be further divided into 'Western Heartlands' and 'Eastern heartlands' for the broader news.

So papers in Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate and Silverymoon, etc would have a lot of the same stories in-common ("Shades wreak havoc all over Faerūn - story on Pg.5"), but then have a local section ("several headless corpses found in the harbor!")

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  22:26:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I created my own fictitious broadsheet called No Secrets. It's kind of a Weekly World News thing, mixed with Mel Gibson's newsletter in the movie Conspiracy Theory -- outrageous stories, particularly conspiracies, that has been entirely correct in a couple of rather noteworthy cases.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Dec 2012 22:28:03
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  04:47:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whilst looking for some semi-canonical locations for The Vast (from the defunct Living City/Sarbreenar campaign), I stumbled upon yet another FR newspaper.

The story about Manshoon is pretty funny.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  11:13:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

I'm thinking about creating a monthly gazette for the players in my FR game. They are adventuring in the Silver Marches and probably will be for some time to come, but I imagine they will eventually make their way to Waterdeep. I was thinking about creating an in game publication to que them in on knowledge they don't pick up through gameplay, create hooks and plots, create a better sense of atmosphere, and to get them intrigued by mentioning of far off places.

Waterdeep seems to be the only likely place in this part of Faerun that such a publication would come from, and the players would have to pick it up each month at whatever towns scattered throughout the area are able to get it through trade caravans that come through.

So anyways, what sort of stuff would you put in such a thing? How would it be organized? My most basic brainstorming has come up with Rumors, Merchant news and general politics.

*Posted this on rpg.net as well so expect to see it there :)

Don't forget advertisements. The paper has to pay for itself, and it should be relatively easy to steal these ideas from current and put it in amidst things, just to add that "feel" of realism when the players read it. Just slightly change the company names, but you can keep the general sayings. Here, I'll throw you some as a bone:

"Chubby's Deli.... all the women say 'you can't beat Chubby's Meat'".

"The Light of Lathander spa and relaxation center, ladies invited"

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  21:02:02  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://web.archive.org/web/20050227012058/http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/waterdeep-herald.htm

Some excellent clack here on Waterdeep

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  01:55:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Whilst looking for some semi-canonical locations for The Vast (from the defunct Living City/Sarbreenar campaign), I stumbled upon yet another FR newspaper.

The story about Manshoon is pretty funny.

This is decent stuff. I especially like the bit about the new Temple of Lathander having a "wonderful pipe organ of gnomish construction."

You could really go in many different directions with that.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000