Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Portals into Menzoberranzan?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  20:42:17  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow scribes,

I was asked a question by a player as to whether there were any portals in the Realms portal network (as opposed to those coming from the Abyss or what have you) that lead DIRECTLY into the City of Spiders?

I certainly don't recall any (after all, Catti-Brie had to walk there the old fashioned way and she had all of the resources Alustriel had to offer), although I know of several within a few days of the city. Anyone know of any leading directly there?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  20:58:31  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an FYI, I am aware of the Dead Dragon Gorge and Old Monster Shop linkages. They are a few days out from the city unless I have that wrong.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  23:36:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall any canon material revealing the existence of any such portals (and I have the Menzo boxed set and have read all the novels). That said, Im sure the more powerful houses make use of them. Sorcere likely has some as well. Such portals are going to be extremely well guarded. If I were to add a secret (from the city populace) portal I would put it near the ceiling (such as in a large crevice) that is likely to have remained unseen over the years. But, given the drow paranoia about invasion, I could easily rule that such a portal is not so secret from the major houses.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2012 :  00:49:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is one Portal out of Menzoberranzan, http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20021106a , however I have not yet found one into it known.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  19:39:45  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
E.g. Kharza-kzad in Daughter of the Drow had a little twisted portal right in the tower. See, these guys have to regularly procure spell components and all that... and prefer to do it without being annoyed by matrons and noticed by the rivals every time.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2012 :  03:22:02  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, that's about what I thought!

Happy Holidays

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000