Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My forgotten realms deities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  06:38:35  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is my deity list for "my realms":

I am going to post it now and then post explanation later. The formatting I made in my document did not copy and paste well if anything looks wonky.

They are organized into mini-pantheons by Divine Realms like Acheron, where I envision Tiamat and Bane constantly warring for dominance. I chose names like Acheron, Elysium, Tir Na Og, etc. because they sound nicer than "Barrens of Doom and Despair" or "Towers of Night", which always sounded silly to me.

When I made this I tried to have a balance of alignments, and gender (the realms always seemed "God" heavy versus "Goddesses", to me.) I also tried to have their portfolios not overlap. Most of the missing Gods are not "dead" but simply now absent from Toril (like Moradin, Gruumsh, and Correlon). Tyr, Helm, and some others are still dead (in Toril's crystal sphere, anyways...and dead gods sleep lightly)

Deity Ranks:
G = Greater Deity
I = Intermediate Deity
L = Lesser Deity
M = Minor Deity (AKA demideity)

Alignments:
LG = Lawful Good
CG = Chaotic Good
G = Good
U = Unaligned
C = Chaotic
L = Lawful
LE = Lawful Evil
CE = Chaotic Evil
E = Evil

Genders:
#9794; = male
#9792; = female
#9893; = both genders (only Eilistraee-Vhaeraun)
n/a = no gender

Name Alignment Gender rank Portfolio

Brightwater

Sune CG #9792; G Beauty, and Love.
Lliira CG #9792; L Joy, Happiness, Dance, and Celebration.
Waukeen U #9792; I Trade, Commerce, and Wealth.
Garl U #9794; I Humor, Adventure, Mischief, and Storytelling.
Tymora CG #9792; I Fortune, and Good Luck.
Sharess C #9792; L Felines, Passion, Hedonism, and Pleasure.
Milil G #9794; L Eloquence, Poetry, and Song.
Adon G #9794; L Youth, Vitality, Athletics, and Physical Perfection.

Elysium

Selune CG #9792; G The Moon and Stars; guidance and creativity.
Hathor G #9792; I Motherhood, and Live Birth
Lurue CG #9792; L Non-lawful non-evil beasts, hope, and charity.
Finder U #9794; L Bards, drama, and inspiration.
Shaundakul C #9794; L Travel, exploration, portals and nomads.
Valechemoth CG #9794; M Freedom, egalitarianism, and liberty.
Lattabah U #9794; M Dreams, sleep, and rest.
M’Daess G #9792; M Egg Birth
Luche G #9792; M Purity

Tir Na Og

Gond U #9794; G Construction, Artifice, and Invention.
Deneir G #9794; I Knowledge
Curna U #9792; L Wisdom and Humanities (Philosophy, History, etc. )
Shesat L #9792; L Writing, Literacy, Glyphs, and Libraries.
Murdane U #9792; L Balance, Logic, Pragmatism, Neutrality and Reason.
Quellen G #9792; M Education and Learning.
Kalzareinad E #9792; M Secrets, Occult knowledge, and Selfish Use of Knowledge
Auppenser U #9794; M Psionics.
Zionil U #9794; M Science, and Discovery.

Arborea

Chauntea G #9792; G Life
Ubtao U #9794; G Balance in Nature
Sheela G #9792; G Agriculture and Benign Weather.
Gwaeron U #9794; L Hunting, Forestry, Tracking and Rangers.
Shiallia G #9792; L Growth, Fertility, and Abundance
Isit L #9792; L Order in Nature and Horticulture.
Geb U #9794; L The earth, stone, minerals and mining
Toa C #9792; M Chaos in Nature, Wild Nature, and Rebellion.
Meo U #9794; M Farmers and Agrarian Societies
Baerbyn U #9794; M Pastoralism and animal husbandry
Ulutiu L #9794; M Arctic survival, Polar Environments and Glaciers

Dweomheart

Savras L #9794; I Divination, Truth, and Fate.
Azuth L #9794; L Lawful Magic, and Wizards [intelligence based magic]
Set E #9794; L Evil Magic, and Malice.
Midnight G #9792; L Good Magic, and sorcery [charisma based magic]
Leira U #9792; L Illusion, Mystery, Obfuscation, and Deception.
Parrafaire U #9794; L Guardianship, Protection and Abjuration.
Kiaransalee E #9792; M Necromancy [cont. w Velsharoon], and incorporeal undead.
Malyka C #9792; M Chaotic magic, evocation, and Destructive Magic.
Kered G #9794; M Sword-mages
Velsharoon E #9794; M Necromancy [cont. with Kiarasalee] and corporeal undead.

The Twilight Forest

Eilistraee-Vhaeraun U #9893; I Thievery, Swordsmanship and Intrigue
Ibrandul U n/a L Subterranean environments (Caves, etc.)
Emmantiensien U n/a L Surface Forests and woodlands
Semuanya U #9792; L Survivalism
Selvetarm C #9794; M Half-elves and other mixed race beings
Qilue G #9792; M Redemption and Salvation
Psilofyr U n/a M Fungus and subterranean forests

Abyss

Lolth E #9792; G Evil, Spiders, and Fear
Ghaunadaur CE n/a I Chaos, Oozes, Abominations, Rot and Decay.
Yeenoghu CE #9792; M Cannibalism, and Paralysis.
Baphomet CE #9794; M Rage, and Anger.
Laogzed CE n/a M Hunger, Gluttony, and Somnolence.
Vaprak CE n/a M Regeneration
Zinzerena E #9792; M Assassins [contested with Amellysan]

Hades

Shar E #9792; G Dark, Night, Loss, Entropy, and Forgetfulness.
Beshaba CE #9792; I Misfortune, Bad Luck, and Accidents.
Talona CE #9792; L Disease and Poison [ poison contested with Zehir]
Gargauth LE #9794; L Sin, Political Corruption, Betrayal and Cruelty.
Gizh E #9794; M Crime, Intoxication, and Laziness.
Shevarash CE #9794; M Elven racial hatred and xenophobia; genocide.
Eponnui U #9792; M Depression, hopelessness, and suicide.
Eshowdow E n/a M Ignominy, resentment and bitterness.
Kiputytto CE #9792; M Deformity, wasting, parasites, and exhaustion.

Acheron

Bane LE #9794; G Tyranny
Tiamat LE #9792; G Conquest, Ambition, Evil Dragons/reptiles, and Avarice.
Hoar L #9794; I Vengeance, Retribution, and poetic justice
Loviatar LE #9792; I Pain, discipline, torture, and sadism/masochism.
Maglubiyet LE #9794; I Hordes
Iyachtu Xvim LE #9794; L Hatred, and blackguards.
Abbathor LE #9794; L Greed
Kurtulmak LE #9792; L Traps and Ambush
Hruggek E #9794; M Bullies and stealth
Zehir E #9794; M Venom and poison [ poison contested with Talona]
Keptolo E #9794; M Manipulation, and rumors.
Luthic E #9792; M Subservience

Elemental Planes

Akadi U n/a GD Air
Kossuth U n/a GD Fire
Istishia U n/a GD Water
Grumbar U n/a GD Earth

The Shattered Realm

Cyric CE #9794; G Lies, Strife, Madness, and Murder.
Amellysan CE #9792; M Assassins [contested with Zinzerena]
Diinkarazan CE #9794; M Paranoia
Diinkiira CE #9794; M Cruelty, and Magical Experimentation
Bazim-Gorog C n/a M Chaos [contested with Ghaunadaur]
Hex C #9792; M Obsession

Vallhalla

Tempus U #9794; G War
Garagos CE #9794; I Pillaging, Bloodlust, Slaughter and Plunder
Red Knight L #9792; L Strategy, Tactics, and Planning
Anhur G #9794; L Good warrior, heroes, and valor.
Valkur CG #9794; L Sailors, naval combat, and navigation.
Uthgar C #9794; M Strength, barbarians, and tribalism.
Azora U #9792; M Courage and female warriors

Mount Celestia

Torm LG #9794; G Justice
Amaunator L #9794; G Law, Order, and the Sun
Berronar LG #9792; G Tradition, Marriage, Oaths, and Kinship.
Ilmatar LG #9794; I Martyrdom, perseverance, and endurance.
Cyrrollalee LG #9792; I Friendship, Honesty, Diplomacy and Hospitality
Haela LG #9792; L Paladins, Duty, and Chivalry.
Bahamut LG #9794; M Good dragons, and honour.
Nobanion LG #9794; M Monarchy, and lawful good beasts (lamassu, etc.)
Siamorphe L #9792; M Nobility, Hereditary Leadership, and Aristocracy.
Rahb L #9794; M Obedience, and conformity.
Sharindlar G #9792; M Healing and mercy

Fugue Plane and Crystal City

Kelemvor U #9794; G Death, and the dead.
Jergal L n/a L Burial, fatalism, non-evil undead, and tombs.
Urogolan U #9794; M Mourning, grieving, funerals, and genealogy.

Fury’s Heart

Talos CE #9794; G Destruction, storms, and earthquakes
Umberlee CE #9792; I Oceans/Seas, ocean storms, currents and waves.
At’ar E #9792; I Heat, drought, famine, and deserts.
Sobek E #9794; L Water predators, river hazards, and floods.
Malar CE #9794; L Land predators, beasts, poaching, and predation.
Auril E #9792; L Cold, winter, and ice.
Nnuurrr’k’k E n/a M Destructive insects and vermin; swarms.

EDIT: The Gender symbol didn't work :( I had the symbol of Mars and Venus for male + female. I will fix that later and I hope you can tell who is male or female.

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 29 Nov 2012 06:40:48

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  06:54:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a pretty thorough list, though I'm curious as to why deities like Moradin, Corellon, and Gruumsh were "absent" from Toril. I'd wonder how Shevarash would feel about being in Hades XD

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  17:07:45  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my imagination there was a balancing dawn restructuring (like the dawn cataclysm). So a lot of deities are absent while others came back to life. Sheverash was not good to begin with and his mind was warped by Shear. He has forgotten a lot... he no longer hates draw but all non elves and supports the eldreth veluuthra. He doesn't care about being in hades because What has him wrapped around her figure.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  17:47:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice list - I am currently working on my own.

I got a bit confused - you use 'L' twice for two different things (Lawful, and 'Lesser deity'). I would suggest going back to the LN for Lawful (and CN for Chaotic) just for clarity.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  20:15:01  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made the list for a 4th edition campaign and I wanted to make sure it made sense to the player that had not played an earlier edition. But now that you say that I see what you mean, HMMM.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  20:49:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LN would still = Lawful (just as CN would still = Chaotic). Its just an abbreviation. They make sense in that they are a holdover from the earlier edition, but you can simply drop the 'neutral' part in a 4e campaign.

And you don't have to listen to me if it makes sense to you - I was just pointing out my own confusion whilst reading through your excellent list.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  20:04:15  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's how I have - organized into many pantheons.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  10:12:19  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giving Bane just the tyranny portofolio is a bit of an understatement imo but it´s your call.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  10:53:36  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
interesting list.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  18:04:40  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Giving Bane just the tyranny portofolio is a bit of an understatement imo but it´s your call.

why? Beyond you liking Bane?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  18:17:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have it where Bane is just a local Manifestation of a greater, multi-spheric power. 'Bane' just happens to be one of his favorite aliases to use. Some of his other names are Mephisto, Asmodeus, and Arioch.

He doesn't care what you call him, so long as you don't call him late to dinner (when you are serving-up souls).

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Dec 2012 18:18:23
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  19:39:12  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

why? Beyond you liking Bane?

Bane covers more than just mere tyranny, he aims to dominate all so conquest would be a proper pick for him. You said that Bane and Tiamat are warring for dominance in your realms so why not have the conquest domain being contested between Bane and Tiamat?

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  21:44:00  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyranny is a big portfolio in my opinion, and big enough for a greater god. All the deities are more than their portfolios. Chauntea is a lot more than "life" (but isn't life begin enough? I would consider her the most powerful deity...) A lot of the gods want to dominate all. Bane lost a lot of his portfolios "fear" to Lolth, "strife" to Cyric, and "hatred" to Iyachtu Xvim. Deities powers ebb and flow and he is not more cunning or powerful than Tiamat, Lolth, or Cyric.

Bane is described as having been a mortal who got some of Jergal's power, how could he be Asmodeaus?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  23:38:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also 'core Bane', which disproves the FR canon that Bane is an FR-specific deity.

Here is the way I see it - the whole "Ao has to let them in" rule is a bunch of malarky. If a deity wants to interlope into a sphere, it needs to find a mortal with similar views to its own, and upon that mortal's death help him ascend. The mortal becomes a demi-power, and if his church catches on, he becomes a deity. What really happens is that he became invested with just a wee bit of the other god's power, and he is now more of a self-aware avatar of the multi-spheric power. In that way, a 'Bane' can arise on many worlds, each with a different back-story, but they are all part of something more.

This is how I worked-out MY deities list (which is an on-going affair). Accept for demi-powers and a few lesser gods, all of them are known as something else elsewhere. My FR history is a bit different then the canon history (how can it not, if we are changing up the pantheon rosters?) Jergal predates Toril IMG, and the deal he made with Asmodeus goes back to the 'Age of Legends', before the Godswar. The FR 'Bane' is just some mortal lackey Asmodeus (Core Bane) used to get a foothold on Toril. His name wasn't even Bane - thats just a title. Since his ascendance, his back-story has been merged with that of the muti-spheric Bane in his religious dogma. Even he no longer knows the truth (because belief alters reality).

He is a limb of the 'Old Serpent' (and he is also Set, btw... IMG).

While I believe in having as many gods as possible (the more, the merrier), I also know - as a DM with 'secret knowledge' - that most gods are just aliases for others. The people of my world (including my players) are not aware of any of that. Although tomes in Planer libraries list over a million 'gods' from various worlds, the truth is there is probably less then a hundred. They are all just playing the 'great game', and each world is a different game-board with its own set of rules.

EDIT: I really like the idea of the Strife portfolio being fought over... very fitting.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Dec 2012 23:40:33
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  00:36:34  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I view it more as there being many Gods who are similar in different spheres. FR Tiamat is not the Tiamat found elsewhere (Much less a mere super powerful dragon in Baator) like Faiths and Avatars explains. 'core Bane' is not FR Bane. They are separate entities. In my Dawn Restructuring it was made more concrete, hence the absence of multispheric powers like Gruumsh. Garl is present but he is not the same Garl as in another world. Each of these deific planes only connects to FR and not other universes.

Sune was literally based on Aphrodite, Gond on Hephaestus, etc. in your world are they aspects of Aphrodite and Hephaestus?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  03:00:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup.

Sune = Venus = Aphrodite = Hanali Celanil = Ishtar = Freya = etc...

Gond = Goibhne = Hephaestus = Vulcan = Moradin = etc

Not all gods are multispheric. The way I see it, you are better-off going it alone (ascending to godhood), because when you get help, there are strings attached. In other words, the sponsoring power will usually have designs on absorbing their protege at some point in the future, and gaining access to a new sphere.

Most deities will stick to certain portfolios from world to world, because it is their nature to do so, but some will cross into other portfolios, especially when their normal choice is already taken by a very powerful being (this is why Tyr chose Justice in Realmspace). They will also try to gravitate to the sex they started out as as a mortal (before ascending themselves), but there is no rule they must do so, and thats why the same god can be both male and female (and will appear as their worshipers expect them to appear).

I picture a tight circle of ancient powers that usually have at least one aspect in a sphere, then a bunch of intermediate-tier gods that try to play-up to the ancient powers and are responsible for much of the Celestial intrigue, and then there are the 'newbs' - low-level deities, most of whom are recently ascended, who are basically the 'toadies' of the celestial bureaucracy (think of it as a medieval court, with all the back-stabbing, intrigue, and machiavellian plots). Gods can even trade portfolios (and spheres) with others in order to position themselves better elsewhere. Local (sphere-specific) powers try to avoid the celestial power-games until they have enough experience to survive them. Most of them just get eaten.

Thats my take on how it really works, but its an invisible layer that only I am aware of. In-game folks (and players) usually never discover 'whats behind the curtain'.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Dec 2012 03:32:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000