Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Detailed Map of Zhentil Keep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  02:54:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for a detailed map of this city. I have the map from the boxed set...but I have no ability to scan said map right now.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a fairly detailed up close scan of the city of Zhentil Keep PRIOR to it being a Ruin?

Google is giving me no luck...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  03:50:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I'm looking for a detailed map of this city. I have the map from the boxed set...but I have no ability to scan said map right now.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a fairly detailed up close scan of the city of Zhentil Keep PRIOR to it being a Ruin?

Google is giving me no luck...

It's not a great map, but there's one in Forgotten Realms Adventures.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  04:04:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the black and white is pretty nice actually...

I'm hoping for a digital scan of the color map from Ruins of Zhentil Keep...but not the ruined city; the "Old" City map.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  06:36:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised this isn't something that Markus has already dealt with during his own mapping exercises with specific locales of the Realms.

Or has he done so already... and I've missed it?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  14:45:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhentil Keep

Silversword uploaded it on his page on the WotC site.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 18 Nov 2012 14:46:48
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  16:10:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great link Brimstone!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  16:59:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Zhentil Keep

Silversword uploaded it on his page on the WotC site.

I have no problem saying this: I LOVE YOU BRIMSTONE!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  17:16:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only problem I've ever had with the map...and it is a HUGE ONE...

Two of the Zhentarim Warehouses (#31 on the map) are actually supposed to be drydocks. You can see the shape of them, and then reference the black and white map in the hardback book Forgotten Realms Adventures.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2012 :  18:19:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm surprised this isn't something that Markus has already dealt with during his own mapping exercises with specific locales of the Realms.

Or has he done so already... and I've missed it?

I had scanned in ALL the FR maps I had at very high resolution. I wasn't happy with the ones I found on the web, or ones from pdfs (which tend to be slightly off-angle). Of course, those scans are now in the same place as the books they originated from - lore heaven.

Most of the stuff I created was for my own personal use, and that attitude is why I now can't get most of it back. Many people asked me for my texture set, and I would politely refuse. Had I said yes just once, I'd have someone to turn to now. Ah well, water under the bridge. {insert wheel-of-Time style "new Beginning" poetic nonsense here}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2012 :  00:11:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still not happy with the harbor of Zhentil Keep (on the maps so far).

It just seems far too small for a city of trade...far to small and unable to handle the traffic that is supposed to be coming through Zhentil keep.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  21:49:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.
Dalor Darden, here I can help:

After the Zhentarim rose to rule Zhentil Keep, their paranoia led to the docks being very little used for naval TRADE, and largely being used for the city's (military) navy (hence the drydocks). The Zhentarim didn't want potential invaders (with explosives, wizards aboard, etc.) getting that close to the city, that easily. The Zhentarim believed in caravans and a large "on the ground" military presence (with foulwing-riding Zhentarim mages as aerial scouts).
Naval trade with Zhentil Keep was conducted through their conquered or dominated Moonsea ports, then moved by wagon/sledge (in winter) overland to and from the Keep. Once they were dictating life in the Keep, the cost of these transshipments just didn't matter; security trumped it.
So the naval trade for Zhentil Keep goes to and from the northcoast Moonsea ports, which is also where they set up a lot of the smelting (the Citadel of the Raven was the other smelting center), to keep the profit in-house, not shipping ore elsewhere, to enrich others.

This all comes from talking to Ed, and making notes.
Hope this helps!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  23:17:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, Dalor, looking at that map just now...

One might assume (using the info THO just gave) that there could be a separate set of docks on the Moonsea itself, completely divorced from the City proper. You remember how the capital of the Five Shires was setup? Something like that, or how Athens was separate from its port of Piraeus. I can picture a small village that is mostly docks right on the sea, and from there things are carted to the city a mile or more 'inland'. A lighthouse, a few docks for military vessels, and probably a fort and barracks to guard the river mouth. Just big enough to support the amount of people needed for the shipping and soldiers.

Nothing canon, of course, but it allows you to use the canon map unchanged, and still have things the way you want.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Dec 2012 23:19:23
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  02:05:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks THO and MT,

I had been thinking of a series of docks "off stage" that would bring trade through the Dragon Gate.

I hadn't considered before that the Zhentarim wouldn't mind the increase in costs for caravan trade over shipping until it smacked me in the face just now that folks like Orm of Melvaunt (probably just one of many merchants "affiliated" with the Zhentarim) would actually put cities like Melvaunt, Phlan and Thentia actually in the pocket of the Zhentarim if not in the fold of the Zhentilar military.

Thanks folks!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000