Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Hobgoblin arcane Spellcasters - which class?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  11:46:05  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts for Hobgoblin arcane spellcasters are`.

Mage
sorcerer
warlock
Bard?

For me personally, it would either be mage or warlock.
Sorcerers are too impulsive in their magic for me to suit them, and bards I have a problem imagining, personally, although the concept of eberron for example is quite good, i just do not really see it in the realms ( I know Markustay has a different approach )

Looking forward to your opinions

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  13:04:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think back in 2e they were witchdoctors (very similar to shamans - had both arcane and divine spells).

have you forgotten my HB 'Drummers' organizations? Those are Hobgoblin Bards.

Actually, Wizard is the only class I don't see them using (need too much discipline). On the other hand, they'd probably still have a few.

I picture Pterodactyl-riding warlocks (or something like THIS).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Oct 2012 13:05:57
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  14:11:35  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, Markus, why exactly do you think I made the comment on your different approach in my post ? :)
It is my kinda stuck imagination for bards being some gay-looking ( no discrimination ment here, better formulated "overly female" - excuse my lack of capability to express what I mean in english ) men in tights dancing around the courtyard...

well, wizard is for me a bit different, i see them having a lot of discipline - for which they also are so successful in their warfare and general faring.

warlock strikes me as well for them, letting out their "wild side" in a controlled way.

The rider on the pic, is this Kelly? by style it couldbe....

Coming to your drummers, Markus - they remind me STRONGLY of the bards-concept in eberron, that is why I also mentioned them. Bards acting as source of arcane spells, as well as standard bearers with chants for battle...

Edit:
Witchdoctors I also like, but I always thought them quite weak. I think there is a prestige class in 3e, but for Hobgoblins I would imagine something between warlock, mage and nar demonbinder - especially the old hlundadim ones, which were specialized in summoning fiends.

Edited by - Jakuta Khan on 27 Oct 2012 14:13:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  17:54:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd not go for a hobgoblin wizard, myself, for the simple fact that wizards need books and scrolls and time to study, and those things aren't found as oft among races that aren't somewhat settled and urbanized.

I love sorcerers, myself, and don't see how being a sorcerer necessarily means being impulsive. The biggest differences with sorcerers and wizards are spell preparation, not anything in their personalities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2012 :  18:26:21  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several traditions of arcane casters amongst hobgoblins militaric culture might have arisen. But most need to be somewhat compatible with an army life style. I see them persuing psionics more often than arcane spells because it doesn't interfere with wearing armor. Spells that can be used tactically will be favored and thaught the most.

Infernal bloodlined sorcerers who train to reduce arcane armor failure (through the Spellsword PrC, feats or a focus on verbal only or stilled spells) might be cool tradition to place somewhere on Toril.

Runecasters can scribe and cast while in full plate, so an ancient order of runic spellknights might have developed in areas where hobgoblins raided giant or dwarven ruins or settlements.

A 'Warwizard of Cormyr-esque' prc that has a focus on acting as a police force and war artilly could have formed if hobgoblins get the chance to 'urbanize' as Wooly mentioned. In fact, a Sha'Ir from Zhakara fits a hobgoblins fiend(ish familiar) summoning flavour very well too.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  17:12:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I think Hobgoblins would be better played as non-standard arcane classes like the Warlock, Duskblade, Warmage, or Hexblade. These all have some strong focus on combat and war, which I believe meshes ell with their warlike ways.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  23:22:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a reference in one of Ed's novels to hobgoblins stealing and eating the eggs of dragons - a prime justification for them being sorcerers in my book. A reference to that in my "Impiltur" article in Dragon #346 was cut for space.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  10:01:07  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@george, that rings a bell somewhat. Is it possible that this was an article about the hobgoblins following the morueme-dragon family? If not, I wouldbe grateful if you could "dig out" the reference.

In General, I think I can reconsider my judgement for sorcerers, but I also see them being wizards. The warlock, hexblade etc also highly imaginable. But in the realms I can't see them having warmages, for neither I know of any college as described for the class anywhere in the realms ( although holoraurar could have one... ) nor any colleges of other races accepting them as students.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  12:34:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Elminster's Daughter" (hardcover) p.313.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  15:57:17  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 3.5 Monster Manual V book ... go to page 84. You'll see some excellent references to the Hobgoblin Duskblade, Spellscourge, Warcaster and Warsoul.

So the Duskblade class is now solid canon. And the Warcaster can only advance their spellcasting by taking additional Wizard levels.

Granted, this is for generic D&D worlds ... but it should reasonably transplant into the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  22:25:41  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just about to point out the Duskblade class and also Monster Manual V. Also Eytan's Duskblade article points out a tribe of hobgoblins that have duskblades.

The non-standard classes of 3E are all canon in the Realms thanks to Eytan's FR Classes articles prior to the death of 3E.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  09:16:22  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 4e warlock or bard since they get bonuses to constitution (right?) The idea of being a warlock also really appeals to me.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  14:46:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

Hi all, just wondering what your thoughts for Hobgoblin arcane spellcasters are`.

Mage
sorcerer
warlock
Bard?

For me personally, it would either be mage or warlock.
Sorcerers are too impulsive in their magic for me to suit them, and bards I have a problem imagining, personally, although the concept of eberron for example is quite good, i just do not really see it in the realms ( I know Markustay has a different approach )

Looking forward to your opinions

Hobgoblin binders have an appeal to me.... they draw some picture, offer to share their body for power. Change their bindings as they see fit on a daily basis. Also, the fact that the binding can make them show certain special signs... they may not even suppress such.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  14:53:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also, regarding hobgoblin bards. I'd recommend there be a prediliction for hobgoblin marshals (Miniatures Handbook) over bards, but that any bards be more of a war drummer/storyteller individual rather than the standard bard.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  15:21:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

There is a reference in one of Ed's novels to hobgoblins stealing and eating the eggs of dragons - a prime justification for them being sorcerers in my book. A reference to that in my "Impiltur" article in Dragon #346 was cut for space.

-- George Krashos
IIRC, there was a little something about lizardmen doing the same thing, in the Realmspace supplement.

I guess if two different races are doing it, there must be something to it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  17:41:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos
IIRC, there was a little something about lizardmen doing the same thing, in the Realmspace supplement.

I guess if two different races are doing it, there must be something to it.

Either that or someone started a rumor and multiple people believed it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  18:29:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure that falls under the purview of "something to it".

I like that take - I can see that being a rumor started by giants in ancient times (which may have some truth to it, but only when certain eldritch rituals are also involved).

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  03:54:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

In 4e warlock or bard since they get bonuses to constitution (right?) The idea of being a warlock also really appeals to me.

Yep, damn good Warlocks and Valorous Bards too. Their racial ability is pretty handy as well. They also make good Charisma-based Paladins and bleak disciple Assassins.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000