Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Using 13th Age to Run the Realms (Cogitation)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:23:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have started to grow fond of the 13th Age RPG as I've looked at it develop over the various iterations of the playtest. For anyone that isn't acquainted with the game, think 4th edition, but with less reliance on "roles" and more just giving abilities to various classes, and reworked to not require a combat grid to run encounters (which I find I am more and more in favor of).

Anyway, two things jumped out at me regarding the game before I even started posting here again, which made me think of using this system for running a Realms game.

1. One Unique Thing: As part of character creation, you come up with one unique thing about your character. It usually doesn't have a game mechanics benefit, but it is something that can come up in a campaign at various points and serve as a springboard for plots surrounding that One Thing.

Some examples that people playtesting came up with had to do with being reincarnated and having some memory of who they were, being a royal bastard (in the literal sense), and being an animal shapechanged permanently into another race.

For some reason I immediately thought that this would be a great way to explain someone like Alias. You would be able to use the rules for humans to run the character, but you would come up with "I was magically created clone assassin for a cabal of evil beings, but I escaped, and now only have false memories of being a normal human adventurer."

I don't know why, but it struck me that when you open up something like this as a requirement for your character's background, you could create a story like Azure Bonds, not because the GM planned it out, but spawned from the player's own ideas.

Obviously, not everyone's "One Unique Thing" is going to be that strange or out there. It's just something that would set them apart from other similar adventurers to build them with a "hook" right from the start.

2. The other mechanic that got my Realms gears going had to do with the relationship dice. In the default setting, there are a dozen major NPCs that are the big movers and shakers, and they are known as the Icons. You have a relationship die rating for one or more of them, and a certain number of times during the session, you can roll your relationship die (a d6), and if you get a 5 or a 6, you get some kind of benefit from that relationship, but a 5 is suppose to be a mixed blessing.

When I first read about this mechanic, I realized that the point was to tie the players to bigger things in the campaign. I also realized that the last thing I would do is make powerful NPCs the crux of a Realms campaign.

Then it hit me . . . if you used this system for the Realms, instead of making the relationship die have to do with powerful NPCs, why not use them to represent what should be the driving force in the Realms, and something that should come up to help, hinder, and complicate . . . various power groups?

So instead of having a positive, conflicted, or negative relationship with a powerful NPC, and rolling the dice to see if that relationship will help you in a pinch, you instead would have a positive, conflicted, or negative relationship with the Zhentarim, the Harpers, the War Wizards of Cormyr, the Elven Court, etc.

Anyway, I'm still waiting to flesh this idea out a bit since the final rules aren't out yet, and since I'm waiting on Elminster's Forgotten Realms to see what I can be inspired by in that particular work.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  22:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! I've been looking at 13th Age myself, since it seems to be a pretty perfect blend of what I'm looking for in narratives these days with my D&D itch.

Anyway, I immediately did pretty much the same thing you thought of and looked at the Icons system in the Realms (because, let's be honest, where else would I play?) I agree with you that it's not so much about specific icons as the organizations they support - and the 13th Age rules bear this out in the Icon Relationships section (page 42 in the current document.) I tried my hand at putting together a set of Forgotten Realms icons equivalent to the ones in the Escalation Edition. This is circa 1372 DR.

The Archmage: Even though the Escalation Edition suggests Elminster, he's actually a terrible choice. El is a loner with little to no political power base. Khelben Arunsun is the better choice, as he has a substantial amount of followers. Depending upon which way you want to play it, he leads the Moonstars or is a High Harper. The Moonstars are probably a better option, since that gives some friction with any possible Harper icon you might use.
The Emperor: This is probably the hardest one to use in the Realms, as there are no world-spanning empires like the Dragon Empire. The Dragon Empire is pretty small, actually. You're best suited to determine what region of the Realms you're going to play in and figure out who the most prominent source of unitary law & order there. In the Sword Coast North, this is Piergeron and the Lord's Alliance. In the Dalelands, pick your favourite of Mourngrym or Randal Morn. Alusair is simplest as Cormyr's Steel Regent.
The Elf Queen: Queen Amlaruil fits even if the Retreat is over (just reverse that if you want the motivations to exactly match.) Note that Eilistraee's worshipers are permitted on Evermeet (I think this is from Elves of Evermeet or Eilistraee's entry in Demihuman Deities, Elaine might have touched on it in Evermeet: Island of Elves.) If your players are really crazy for drow, consider using Qilue Veladorn instead.
The Dwarf King: This describes Bruenor as of 1373 to a t. There's no real king of all dwarves, unlike for elves, so it comes down to regions again. The Great Rift offers a very prominent dwarven kingdom in the South, and I think there's the remnants of one in the Lands of Intrigue.
The Orc Lord: King Obould Many-Arrows is the best example. If your game isn't set near the Spine of the World, then you'll have to invent one. Thar, for example, could host a grey Orc horde, or it might not be Orcs at all. The Sythilissian Empire would fit very well here for games set in Amn or Tethyr. If you want a real twist, Shou Expatriates (see Unapproachable East) could be an advance force for Yamun Kaman's successor.
The Crusader: Here's a curveball. Use the Zhentarim here. Either Fzoul Chembryl or Sememmon's factions work really well; you'd have to stretch things a little to have Manshoon do this sort of thing. It'll be a bit darker, but the Zhentarim are quite happy to help out local communities towards their own ends.
The Diabolist: Sarya Dlardrageth fits. Soneillon works even better, but only if your game is set in Impiltur (see Champions of Ruin.) Also consider Eltab maybe subverting the Zulkir of Conjuration or something.
The Great Gold Wyrm: Cosmologically, this should be Dendar the Night Serpent. Consider instead emphasizing the holy paladin aspect. High priests of Torm or Tyr work quite well, but a slightly-mad priest of the sunsetting Lathander might work even better. (There's a writeup of this last option in Power of Faerun.)
The High Druid: Again, there's no global druid leader. Easy regional icons are Turlang in the High Forest, the Nentyarch in the Great Dale, or the Emerald Enclave. (For bonus points in 1374 DR or later, you could make a case for Coronal Ilsevele in Cormanthyr.)
The Lich King: Although thematically dissonant, High Prince Telamont fits this really well. You could alternatively use Szass Tam, or Larloch (see Lords of Darkness.) Shoon VII would be a hilariously awesome choice for this.
The Priestess: No one has this big a reach in the Chondathan pantheon. Choose your favourite of Sune/Lathander/Torm/Tyr/Selune/Waukeen/Tymora, use their high priest (there's a listing of these in the 2e deity books.)
The Shadow Prince: Drizzt. For something less gag-worthy, just make up cults of Finder Wyvernspur for something really fun along these lines. Alternatively, you could use Erevis Cale, or even Elaith Craulnober.
The Three: Pick your favourite dragon or dragon-related organization. (Well, excepting Zunderaezylym or like, Valamaradace.) I'd probably use Tchazzar, the Sisterhood of Essembra, or Jalanvaloss in Waterdeep.

Special note: You can really use the Harpers as a freebie for any heroic or ambiguous icon. Just pick your region, a High Harper that seemed interesting, and theme the local branch as you want. You can settle Mintiper Moonsilver down for an easy icon in the North or around the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Ultimately, the idea of Icons match the Realms' shadowy power structures really well, even if specific ones don't work at all. Just remember it's as much about the organization as the individual icon, and have fun playing the Realms your way.

Edited by - Arivia on 06 Nov 2012 22:20:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000