Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Once Around the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  19:47:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Did anyone else ever notice that for the character Passepout (spelling?) from this book's cover art was actually a near exact representation for a popular D&D figurehead? I believe it was James M. Ward but don't quote me.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Once_Around_the_Realms

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  12:12:31  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's James Ward. I have a vague recollection that the Volo character also was modeled on a then-TSR/WotC grandee...

In a related matter, I'm sure we've all noticed the striking physical resemblance between Liriel on the original cover of "Daughter of the Drow" and Alias on the cover of "Masquerades"; same for Fyodor and Victor Dhostar on the covers of the same.

Of course that's because the same real-life people (Fred Fields himself for Fyodor and Victor) stood model for both, but, in the case of Alias / Liriel, someone might wonder: is Liriel an Alias clone ?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  13:18:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

In a related matter, I'm sure we've all noticed the striking physical resemblance between Liriel on the original cover of "Daughter of the Drow" and Alias on the cover of "Masquerades"; same for Fyodor and Victor Dhostar on the covers of the same.

Of course that's because the same real-life people (Fred Fields himself for Fyodor and Victor) stood model for both, but, in the case of Alias / Liriel, someone might wonder: is Liriel an Alias clone ?

Oy.

Fred Fields is a talented artist whose skills at photo-realistic portraits are nothing short of amazing, but during his time at TSR/WotC he was notorious for using whatever models were handy, without regard for whether or not they bore any resemblance to the characters in the stories/game products he was illustrating. I don't know the name of the woman who posed for Alias/Liriel, but apparently she was very handy indeed. Within a period of a few months she was depicted as at least four different characters, including Arilyn and the Simbul.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 26 Oct 2012 13:21:18
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  16:43:08  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good info Elaine (as always). I think the portrait of Alias from Azure Bonds is nothing short of amazing, but that's a Clyde Caldwell, who will always be my favorite FR artist! He is to FR as Larry Elmore is to Dragonlance.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  17:08:46  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Good info Elaine (as always). I think the portrait of Alias from Azure Bonds is nothing short of amazing, but that's a Clyde Caldwell, who will always be my favorite FR artist! He is to FR as Larry Elmore is to Dragonlance.

Clyde and Easley all the way

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 26 Oct 2012 17:09:01
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  17:44:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Yes, the Azure Bonds cover was Clyde Caldwell. The Fred Fields version of Alias appeared on the novel Masquerades, published in July 1995. A month earlier, the same model was the Simbul on the cover of the boxed set Spellbound, and later that year she was perpetrated upon Liriel on the 1995 hardcover release of Daughter of the Drow. In June of 1996 she posed for Arilyn on the June 1996 release of Silver Shadows.

I remember a conversation with editor Brian Thomsen about the Arilyn cover. I observed that the model bore no resemblance to Arilyn, other than being a female, dark-haired humanoid, and pointed out that Arilyn's two-handed sword style would be severely hampered by that matronly bust. Brian's tongue-in-cheek comment: "There's a lot of magic in the Realms. Maybe they're retractable..."

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 26 Oct 2012 18:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  21:33:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I remember a conversation with editor Brian Thomsen about the Arilyn cover. I observed that the model bore no resemblance to Arilyn, other than being a female, dark-haired humanoid, and pointed out that Arilyn's two-handed sword style would be severely hampered by that matronly bust. Brian's tongue-in-cheek comment: "There's a lot of magic in the Realms. Maybe they're retractable..."

That amuses me as much as the AGBs (anti-gravity boobs) often seen in anime!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2012 :  10:05:53  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha!

I don't think I've ever pictured a character while reading to look like they do on the cover even if they're not done with the wrong color hair for example, it might be the wrong color in my head. Despite getting a description in the Harry Potter books, my brain gave Hagrid red hair...

Most amusing was that now if I read Star Wars books, apparently I picture everyone in graphics very similar to what bioware did with the swtor mmo.

Edited by - Yoss on 28 Oct 2012 10:06:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000