Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Once Around the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Artemas Entreri Posted - 25 Oct 2012 : 19:47:13
Did anyone else ever notice that for the character Passepout (spelling?) from this book's cover art was actually a near exact representation for a popular D&D figurehead? I believe it was James M. Ward but don't quote me.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Once_Around_the_Realms

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Yoss Posted - 28 Oct 2012 : 10:05:53
Haha!

I don't think I've ever pictured a character while reading to look like they do on the cover even if they're not done with the wrong color hair for example, it might be the wrong color in my head. Despite getting a description in the Harry Potter books, my brain gave Hagrid red hair...

Most amusing was that now if I read Star Wars books, apparently I picture everyone in graphics very similar to what bioware did with the swtor mmo.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 21:33:52
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I remember a conversation with editor Brian Thomsen about the Arilyn cover. I observed that the model bore no resemblance to Arilyn, other than being a female, dark-haired humanoid, and pointed out that Arilyn's two-handed sword style would be severely hampered by that matronly bust. Brian's tongue-in-cheek comment: "There's a lot of magic in the Realms. Maybe they're retractable..."

That amuses me as much as the AGBs (anti-gravity boobs) often seen in anime!
ElaineCunningham Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 17:44:33

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Good info Elaine (as always). I think the portrait of Alias from Azure Bonds is nothing short of amazing, but that's a Clyde Caldwell, who will always be my favorite FR artist! He is to FR as Larry Elmore is to Dragonlance.

Yes, the Azure Bonds cover was Clyde Caldwell. The Fred Fields version of Alias appeared on the novel Masquerades, published in July 1995. A month earlier, the same model was the Simbul on the cover of the boxed set Spellbound, and later that year she was perpetrated upon Liriel on the 1995 hardcover release of Daughter of the Drow. In June of 1996 she posed for Arilyn on the June 1996 release of Silver Shadows.

I remember a conversation with editor Brian Thomsen about the Arilyn cover. I observed that the model bore no resemblance to Arilyn, other than being a female, dark-haired humanoid, and pointed out that Arilyn's two-handed sword style would be severely hampered by that matronly bust. Brian's tongue-in-cheek comment: "There's a lot of magic in the Realms. Maybe they're retractable..."
Artemas Entreri Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 17:08:46
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Good info Elaine (as always). I think the portrait of Alias from Azure Bonds is nothing short of amazing, but that's a Clyde Caldwell, who will always be my favorite FR artist! He is to FR as Larry Elmore is to Dragonlance.

Clyde and Easley all the way
Seravin Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 16:43:08
ElaineCunningham Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 13:18:23
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

In a related matter, I'm sure we've all noticed the striking physical resemblance between Liriel on the original cover of "Daughter of the Drow" and Alias on the cover of "Masquerades"; same for Fyodor and Victor Dhostar on the covers of the same.

Of course that's because the same real-life people (Fred Fields himself for Fyodor and Victor) stood model for both, but, in the case of Alias / Liriel, someone might wonder: is Liriel an Alias clone ?

Oy.

Fred Fields is a talented artist whose skills at photo-realistic portraits are nothing short of amazing, but during his time at TSR/WotC he was notorious for using whatever models were handy, without regard for whether or not they bore any resemblance to the characters in the stories/game products he was illustrating. I don't know the name of the woman who posed for Alias/Liriel, but apparently she was very handy indeed. Within a period of a few months she was depicted as at least four different characters, including Arilyn and the Simbul.

Thauramarth Posted - 26 Oct 2012 : 12:12:31
Yes, it's James Ward. I have a vague recollection that the Volo character also was modeled on a then-TSR/WotC grandee...

In a related matter, I'm sure we've all noticed the striking physical resemblance between Liriel on the original cover of "Daughter of the Drow" and Alias on the cover of "Masquerades"; same for Fyodor and Victor Dhostar on the covers of the same.

Of course that's because the same real-life people (Fred Fields himself for Fyodor and Victor) stood model for both, but, in the case of Alias / Liriel, someone might wonder: is Liriel an Alias clone ?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000